Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-03-2002, 01:14 AM   #1
Varda-Me
Hobbit

Unifinished Tales

I've just started - and I mean "just" - reading the Unfinished Tales. Are they worth reading? I mean, I guess, how worthwhile are they? Sorry if this is a stupid question(s), but I'm just curious. I've read LoTR, The Sil, and The Hobbit, but am wondering where to go next.....
Varda-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 07:02 AM   #2
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

I'm betting this will be moved, but...

I absolutely loved UT, but with a few caveats. The book title is apropos. It consists of fragmentary snippets of often contradictory writings interspersed with editorial comments by Christopher. However, there is a wealth of information, and the book is a must for any Tolkien scholar.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 10:29 AM   #3
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

They are interesting. Some of them are really good stories, and some are far more fragmentatry. There are lots of jewels scattered inside.
Old 03-03-2002, 11:18 AM   #4
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel

i'm still reading it and it's pretty good. but one of the confusing ones is the Galadriel and Celeborn one in the second age, it gives tons of information but (IMO) it's a little annoying because there's hardly any story it's mostly commentary by christopher tolkien.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:38 PM   #5
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

There's already a forum somewhere in Middle Earth about UT, but they aren't EXACTLY alike, so...oh well.
I've just finished the second age in Unfinished Tales. I love it so far! My favorites are Aldarion and Erendis and Turin's story (I forget what it's called in the book. ) I definitely reccomend this book if you're at all interested in strengthening your knowledge of Middle Earth. It's definitely a wonderful reading experience, though a little dry at times, due to excessive fragmentation.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 01:10 PM   #6
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I really enjoyed Unfinished Tales, but it got annoying when there were several versions of the same story and I didn't know which to believe. My favourite was the one about the Seven Gates (or something like that) of Gondolin.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 03:40 PM   #7
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

i've just started it too!its looks kind of daunting though but i'm determined to stick with it. i also bought a Guide to Tolkien to help me along the way.it has some great pictures in.
Old 03-03-2002, 06:53 PM   #8
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Quote:
Originally posted by Renille
I've just finished the second age in Unfinished Tales. I love it so far! My favorites are Aldarion and Erendis and Turin's story (I forget what it's called in the book.
I'm at the same place . . . just finished the Second Age about a half hour ago. I'm taking my time reading it because it's more fun that way (I'm normally a fast reader). Oh, and the "story of Turin" is really called Narn i hîn Húrin, which I believe means "the story of the children of Hurin", but don't count on my translation.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 03:56 PM   #9
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

i'm halfway through the second age in UT now.
am actually quite surprised. i didn't think i'd understand much of it but am actually really enjoying it.am being helped along the way though by my trusty Complete guide to Middle Earth.