Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-13-2002, 01:09 AM   #1
Lonna
Sapling

Gandalf Lord of the Rings at the Olympics

Hey, fans--did you know that U.S. National Champion in Men's Figure Skating, Todd Eldredge, did his long program to "Lord of the Rings" music this past January--to win U.S. Nationals for the 6th time? He is skating his short program tonight (Feb. 12)--any minute. He will be skating his long program on Thursday evening, Feb. 14. Maybe he'll do his "Lord of the Rings" program again and win a medal for the U.S. Watch and see!
I know all this because I have interviewed Todd for "Blades on Ice" skating magazine (http://www.bladesonice.com) and am following his career. I have reprinted my interview with him on my own website at *Sorry, No Personal Advertising - CBG* Todd likes to use strong, dramatic music, so "Lord of the Rings" was a good choice!
By the way, Todd's winning "Lord of the Rings" program was flawless and amazing. I'll bet Tolkien never would have guessed his books would influence figure skating.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:51 PM   #2
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

WOW!!! Todd Eldredge + Lord of the Rings?? Awesome!! I can't wait to see it! (if he does something else I'll be terribly disappointed now....)

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 12:44 PM   #3
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Three Rings for the IOC Kings under the sky
Seven Rings for Security Guards in their Halls of Stone
Nine Rings for news reporters doomed to lie
One Ring for the Dominos franchise owner on his Dark Throne
In the land of Utah, where the Mormons lie
***lie down, not telling untruths!***
One Ring for canned DP, One Ring for fountain
One Ring to take their pizza and drive it up the mountain!
In the land of Utah, where the Mormons lie...

Nope. Nothin' 'bout the Five Rings, folks.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 01:38 PM   #4
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

lol!
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 03:21 PM   #5
Lonna
Sapling

Gandalf Todd Eldredge Came in Ninth

Well, I hate to tell you all (especially FrodoFriend) that Todd Eldredge came in nineth on Tuesday night, for his short program. Well, nine is a good number (as in nine members of the Fellowship, obviously), but the Great Olympic Committee cuts the list of skaters after five. That means that Todd won't be able to do his long program tonight.

Maybe one of the other five men's skaters who will skate tonight will use Lord of the Rings music for their programs, but I doubt it.

I liked the "Five Rings" poem, by the way. But before you make too much fun of Todd and the "Lord of the Rings" program that he did for U.S. Nationals this past January, get a video of it and watch it. It really was impressive. The music is so powerful, and Todd is a strong skater (except for Tuesday night).
Old 02-14-2002, 11:24 PM   #6
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Shoot. He's one of my favorites. *sighs* Oh well . . .

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Old 02-15-2002, 01:36 AM   #7
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

Just saw it! it was good so very gooood.
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 02:32 AM   #8
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Ah! I missed it! I heard about it on TORn, but then I had to eat dinner...grr. Not that I've seen any of the Olympics this year! I've been busy, and quite interested in those Oscar nominations wheeeeee!!! 13! Good number! BTW, nice poem, bropous.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 11:03 PM   #9
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I think that fall disheartened him. He didn't seem as into it for the rest of the performance. Did a wonderful triple axle though!