Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-31-2001, 12:44 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Mike Oldfield shoulda done the soundtrack!

Howard Shore did a brilliant job with the soundtrack. I bought the CD and have enjoyed it immensely.

However, there are a few shortcomings. I would a preferrred a more "symphonic" approach to the soundtrack, using more distinct melodic "themes" for particular characters and situations. Listening to the soundtrack, there is not really a unifying "theme". There are a few spots of the "Shire theme", but I prefer holding more to the "theme/variation on a theme" approach. John Williams' score for "Star Wars" comes to mind. That was a much more unified score, in my opinion, almost like telling the story again in music.

I bring up Mike Oldfield [Tubular Bells, Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge] as an alternate composer for this film because he is a master of the "theme/variations on a theme" genre. Plus, I feel he may have brought a bit more "celtic" flavor to the music, which I feel would have been a bit more effective in this film.

Also, I would have highly preferred his sister, Sally Oldfield [Water Bearer, The Song of the Quenya], to Enya for the vocal passages. The fact she has already written absolutely enchanting music based on the Lord of the Rings and has an incredible range, along with the influences of her brother in the music, would have been, in this humble hobbit's opinion, a better choice for the vocals.

However, as Mr. Shore and Enya were selected, it is all water under the bridge, although I do feel Mike and Sally Oldfield would have been better choices.

What better choices would you folks have made in choosing the composer for the score? I note a few discussions have "recast" a character here and there. I'm interested in what you folks have to suggest.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 01:51 PM   #2
Pailan
Elven Warrior

I am sure that Olfield could of done a great job. I myself was hoping for something in the sound track that a real timeless, deep down, ancient musical quality to it. Something less orchestral and more accoustic. Enya is put to good use here, but how about some real stripped down music, Elvish harps perhaps, or just plain unaccompanied sining?

Just a thought

Pailan
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 02:02 PM   #3
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

I reallly enjoyed the sound track, but it seems like you said to have a lacked a complete theme. It had great recurring minor themes and Enya was great... Maybe in TTT they'll be able to establish a more unifying theme...One that could be played in band arrangments or piano arrangments after the movie.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 06:50 PM   #4
Ashley Wood
Sapling

For one thing......I Think Howard Shore did a brilliant job!! (literaly, the music gave me the chills!!) I would have put a little more with the Celtic/Irish theme to it.....I dunno why though.....I just get the feeling that it should be a little more irish..... I also think that he should have put one or two more "happy" tracks in it......because they only time that I hear happiness...is in Track 2. The rest of the Time you hear singing and danger and all this other depressing stuff.......Don't get me wrong....it was really good!! My absolute Favorite track was number 15.....The Great River. It has very full singing and it was just very majestic....so to speak.
Ashley Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 01:29 PM   #5
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Good point about playing the tunes in bands and on the piano. I can still remember playing the theme to the original "Lord of hte Rings" in orchestra as a junior and senior in high school. That was a beautiful soundtrack!

The Shore score is haunting, definitely, Ashley, it gives me the chills too. I agree, though, that the most of it is depressing and filled with the threat of danger, and fairly so. There could have been a bit more lighthearted music concerning the hobbits, though. I do love the track from when Froido awakened in Rivendell, very majestic in a subtle way.

In this Enting cellist's honest opinion....
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote