Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-11-2001, 06:42 PM   #1
Gimly
Enting

Piers Anthony

He's good! I have read some of his book, and I got in live!!!

Xanth - The first ones were Xanth. I don't own, or have read all of them, but I've read all that was published on my language, except for one.

Reincarnations of Immortality - I have read only four, but I liked them all!

Macroscope - It's the oldest book by him I've ever read. It was much more mature than Xanth, but I still loved it!
Old 12-11-2001, 07:33 PM   #2
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
you have got to read Gollum in the gears, I htought that was a cute story, but when the Xanth series got a LITTLE too deep in to serious man wife stuff I quit reading it, but I did like the books that were'nt filled with the overt scenes.
Sam is a girl
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 01:43 AM   #3
Gimly
Enting

I have read these Xanth Books:

1)A spell for chamelleon
2)The source of magic
3)Castle roogna
4)Centaur aisle
5)Night mare
6)Dragon on a pedestal
7)Cruel lie: A caustic yarn
8)Golem in the gears
9)Valley of the vole
10)Heaven cent
11)Question quest
Old 12-13-2001, 10:29 PM   #4
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I LOVED Golum In The Gears. I also thought that Spell for Chameleaon was good(exept for that ONE scene). Those were my favorite.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 12:49 PM   #5
Gimly
Enting

I have just bought "Man from Munadia" YIPEEEEE
Old 12-18-2001, 10:17 PM   #6
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

I've read umm... Faun and Games...Roc and a hard place (I think that's what it was called.) The Dastard...A few more but its been a while. I like em alot.
Old 12-23-2001, 01:51 PM   #7
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I really liked the first book of the Xanth series, A Spell for Chameleon. The second book started out ok and, in my opinion, got pretty bad near the middle. I don't think that I can bring myself to read #3. Of course, I'm a really picky reader, so perhaps I'm being over-judgemental.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 02:41 AM   #8
Santee
Sapling

I've followed Piers Anthony's Xanth series from it's origins. I have started to consider it to be like another child of his. As he wrote them, each book was a year older, and the attitude started to take on that age groups attitude...

Incarnations of Immortality is a very good series. I enjoyed the Death, Time, and Fates books rather much.

Another trilogy that he has done rather well was BattleCircle. nicely written post apocalyptic america. Enjoyed the ideology that he put forth...

Macroscope was pretty good as well.

Phaze Doubt was another nice series of books...
Santee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 08:39 PM   #9
fedos
Hobbit

I've read the Incarnations of Immortality series up through Wielding a Red Sword. I also read the trilogy with the girl who goes through various universes to be with her one true love; during which she meets: a telepathic horse, a talking cat, and a woman who remembers time backwords (but can't speak English, thus the horse).

I find that most series that, like Incarnations, continue for more than 3 or 4 books start to break down after that point and become boring. I don't know if it's just me or maybe the author is bored of the series and it's showing up in his writing.
But the discord of Melkor rose in uproar and contended with it, and again there was a war of sound more violent than before, until many of the Ainur were dismayed and sang no longer, and Melkor had the mastery.
fedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 11:12 AM   #10
Talera
Sapling

yey! Fellow Piers Anthony enthusiasts! I didnt' think there were any around!

Gimly, I've read all the books of his you have up to and including Golum in the Gears. I just love his writing, so funny and imaginative. I think he writes a bit like Terry Pratchet actually, very humourful and witty. His puns are just the best! What really annoys me is that I can't seem to get the rest of the books in the series, they all seem to be out of print. I've tried everywhere. It makes me mad!
Talera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 05:00 PM   #11
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I love Zanth! My alltime fav is Castle Roogna, so, Galadriel, you should at least read that far.
I also love the incarnation series, my fav is the very first one, On a Pale Horse.
You know, all the "boy/girl" stuff in the Zanth series always seemed very innocent to me. I never thought of it as being offensive, it's more like youthful boyfriend/girlfriend stuff than adult love. I guess I think that if the roughest thing in the books is a boy wondering what color a girl's panties are, that's pretty tame. I'd deffinately let my kids read it, iffen I had any kids! However, and this goes for people of all ages, you have every right not to read anything that makes you uncomfortable, Samwise. So you're doing the right thing for you.

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 05:08 PM   #12
Alethes
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by samwise of the shire
but when the Xanth series got a LITTLE too deep in to serious man wife stuff I quit reading it, but I did like the books that were'nt filled with the overt scenes.
Exactly the same with me. The books were clever, but they could have been even better without those parts in them.
-Proverbs 22:11
Alethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 09:30 PM   #13
TinuvielChild
Padawan

i didn't read the xanth books in order, but i loved them all the same!! i read most of them, and i think piers anthony married almost everyone off! i know cuz my friend marlie and i once (actually twice or three times ) listed all the pairs on the art room blackboard at school.. magician humphrey's list looked interesting! some of my favorite puns were in magician humphrey's wives: the half-wife of magician humphrey was 142 years (funny if you passed your high school science courses) and Maiden Taiwan.. piers anthony is king of the bad puns!
also, the title is 'Crewel Lye: A Caustic Yarn' not 'Cruel Lie:A caustic yarn'. there's a difference however, i haven't read piers anthony in 2 years cuz i've become a terry pratchett and tolkien addict in the meantime

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 03:12 PM   #14
Glaurung
Sapling

I haven't read any of the Xanth books, only the Blue Adept books, although they were really good. I've been meaning to check out some of his other stuff...
Glaurung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 09:38 AM   #15
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Incarnations of Immortality is a very good series. And I think that every part in it serves a purpose since the Luna-issue is solved until the last book (And eternity) and the whole point of her being around is to cast the final vote on who's to be the new God.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 01:09 AM   #16
snoopy
Hobbit

I have read a couple of piers Anthony books, and I enjoy them. Can you tell me what some of his best books are.
"Curse it! curse it! curse it!" hissed Gollum. "Curse the Baggins! It's gone! What has it got in its pocketses? Oh we guess, we guess, my precious. He's found it, yes he must have. My birthday-present."
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 05:12 AM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I don't own any of the Xanth novels, only borrowed them from the library... Have read quite a few, about 7 I think, but it was dependent on what books were available. From what I remember, the first one was really good, really different, and then the rest were a little bit more comic, and silly. The first one is my favourite.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:04 PM   #18
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I've read most of his stuff, and that is a lot of books. Lest anyone think he is merely the humorous writer of Xanth, take a peak at the very grim Bio of a Space Tyrant. But if you're not into grim and dark (but I know you're Tolkien fans so you must be!), try the Cluster and Tarot serieses. The alien species in there are so cool!

Last edited by Elfhelm : 04-09-2002 at 08:06 PM.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 01:45 AM   #19
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I actually stumbled across him, after reading Philip K. Dick... I was looking for something similar, so I read "Dead Morn" by him. A really good read! Makes his Xanth novels look childish (well they are) compared to this one.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:44 PM   #20
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
I've read the Apprentice Adept( what's blue Adept?), Incarnations of Immortality, Xanth, DOoon, and some combos. He is one great writer. But I can't find any more !
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote