Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-29-2001, 04:24 PM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Humans and magic

Did Humans possess magic?

The Elves did.

The Five Istari Wizards did but they were maia. (as a kid I always thought Gandalf was a Human)

The Dwarves did. I think in the Hobbit something was said about them placing spell over the treasure they got from the Troll stash.

And I believe they could forge magic items.

What about the Numeonoreans ?

What about the Middle-men?

For that matter what about Hobbits?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 08:40 PM   #2
Darth Tater
The man

Magic is a very STRONG word. In all honesty, elves weren't magical, though today if you saw one you'd think differently. Same with hobbits.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 12:31 PM   #3
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Well, if we may side-step the "what constitutes magic?" issue (and I'll throw in Arthur C. Clarke's observation just for the sake of getting it out of the way: Any sufficiently advanced technology seems like magic), pretty much everyone in Middle-earth could and did practice or exercise some sort of "magic", if they wanted to.

Tolkien usually called it sorcery, and he was using the word some generically. Sometimes it was intended as an insult, as when Eomer called Galadriel a sorcerous. Sometimes it just described the effects achieved by the Elves (and their enemies), as when Finrod engaged in a contest of sorcery with Sauron.

Numenoreans made magical swords, and probably other magical stuff. Some people mistakenly cite an (unsent) draft of a letter Tolkien wrote in which he says Men could not use "magic", but after writing a lengthy discussion on the subject he wrote in the margin of the letter, "But Numenoreans made magic swords?" He realized that he had already established in print that Men could and did work magic.

In fact, the evil hill-folk who seized control over Rhudaur are also said to have practiced sorcery.

The Nazgul undoubtedly became great sorcerors in their lifetimes because of the power of their Rings, but they could have practiced sorcery anyway.

Tolkien does not say Hobbits could not practice magic. He only says there is little or no magic about them, except for the everyday sort. Some people mistakenly assume he meant that the Hobbits could not do magic, but there is no indication in any text that they were restricted in that way.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 12:09 PM   #4
olorin7
Hobbit

it has long been debated what constitutes magic and weither or not the elves themselves were magical, yet was it not said in the fotr that the west doors of moria that the fellowship went through were magical in their making by both the dwarves and the elves? also what about frodo and gandalfs swords in the hobbit?
olorin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 12:59 PM   #5
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

In literature, it has been common to equate elves with the ability to perform magic. That doesn't mean pulling a rabbit out of a hat but just to be able to do things that mere humans cannot.
I agree with "olorin7" the swords and the doors had magical powers in them.
Elves are magical in their perceived abilities not in their staged shows.
Old 12-06-2001, 03:29 PM   #6
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Here's a slight breakdown for you, in middle earth:

Sorcery is any magic that draws upon Melkor (or the melkoring element in Arda) for strength.

Wizardry (as practiced by the Istari) is any magic that Draws upon ones self for strangth.

Necromancy is magic that deals with the harnessing of spirits (Elven, Human, Corrupted maia, or otherwise) and using them as tools.

Magical artifacts were almost always made through wizardry, the investing of oneself in the object. The usual result was that the object took on attributes of it's crafter (such as anglachel having some of Eol's malice)
Old 12-07-2001, 09:30 AM   #7
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Tolkien did not make those distinctions. Sorcery was just a general term for the practice or use of "magic". Finrod Felagund, for example, was called a sorceror.
Old 12-07-2001, 12:17 PM   #8
Lightice
Elven Warrior

It seems, that at least numeronians possessed magic, but not much what we call "magic". There was only one person in whole world, that could throw fire balls and ones, that could actually use "spells" were very rare. Only Nazgul and Istari, Balrog plus Sauron himself showed power to use magic at instance in LotR.
Others used on enchantements. Mirror of Galadriel was setted long time ago and she propably had prepared it's making for long time. Aragorn and Elrond used athelas to help their natural abilities.
All those elven swords and Rings needed very long time to create.
There were simpler spells that many could use. At least opening and locking words were many...
Also Mouth of Sauron was a great witch.
So answer is yes, but that's very rare...
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 10:50 PM   #9
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightice
It seems, that at least numeronians possessed magic, but not much what we call "magic". There was only one person in whole world, that could throw fire balls and ones, that could actually use "spells" were very rare.
This is quite incorrect. Before we get too far into a discussion of the magic in Middle-earth, I think you may want to read the following essay:

Understanding Magic in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
Old 12-08-2001, 12:08 AM   #10
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Although like as not by the time Lightice finishes his read, he and we will forget what we were talking about.

That essay was the first of its kind that I ever read, but it took me a couple of tries to get through it, and (fitting for a study in Tolkien's magic) it is rather complex. I don't suppose any simple explanation of such a high and complicated subject could be accurate, though.

Lightice, you might want to try some of MM's Suite101.com essays too, they are easier to get through and to remember afterwards, but they are not so broad.
Old 12-08-2001, 12:32 AM   #11
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

And the "Understanding Magic" essay is by no means intended to be the final word on the subject. But it does address many of the most common misconceptions that readers have about Tolkien's magic. I don't really have the time for debate which I once used to have. Perhaps in a year that situation will be different, but right now my plate is full.