Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-26-2001, 08:54 AM   #1
Manwe Sulimo

Sword of Truth

Is there anyone else here that has read the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind? I read it a while back, and it is really quite good... An description I got before I read it was that it is like WoT, but with more action...
Old 07-26-2001, 11:45 AM   #2
Mathron

Re: Sword of Truth

Hmm.. I don't know. It is a good series, and there are many similarities - and by many, I mean that some of the characters and plot occurences follow the same type of molds. (If I remember right.) Wheel of time is more an epic, and covers many different people doing different things, in many different lands. The Sword of Truth is more focused - fewer characters, and taking place in fewer locations. Both are good, though I haven't read the two latest in SoT.
Old 07-26-2001, 12:32 PM   #3
Manwe Sulimo

You are right, it is more focused... and that means more action, since we get just what happens to two or three people, instead of lots of talking while following ten different plots...
Old 07-27-2001, 10:26 PM   #4
SignSeeker

i think i saw that book in a store. looked good.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:18 PM   #5
Ancalimon81

I'm reading the first one right now. The writing is sophomoric. I find many similarities to WoT but it just isn't that good. It is taking me forever to read through it because I don't like it. I will finish it though.
Old 09-23-2001, 02:57 PM   #6
Onodrim
Sapling

Sword of Truth

How in the name of Illuvatur can you say you don't like it? It is one the the best literary masterpieces in a long while! I get headaches deciding if the SoT novels are my favourite or Lotr. I want to run to a well and retch for what you just said! On the otherhand, some people just don't like certain types of fantasy or the way the author writes. Well, those are just my thoughts.
Onodrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 05:19 PM   #7
Reverie
Enting

Goodkind Fan

I recently loaned 6 of the SoT books to a friend. He read them and gave them back with a tired, disgusted look and said "I don't know how to tell you this nicely; I hate this author."
He also said that he hoped I didn't think he would think less of me ! I quickly informed him that the opposite was the case!

I have also compared Goodkind's series to LOTR. They have many similarities. They both have an 'epic-ness' and strict attention to detail. Plus they are both utterly heart breaking! As to my favorite well, this is a Tolkien board!
Reverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 05:32 PM   #8
Onodrim
Sapling

Hmmm...I see.

Last edited by Onodrim : 10-24-2001 at 05:35 PM.
Onodrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 11:59 PM   #9
Grand Admiral Reese
Sapling

I've only read Wizard's First Rule, though I do have Stone of Tears on order. It wasn't bad, but not LotR or even Wheel of Time.
Grand Admiral Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 06:05 AM   #10
Tailin
Sapling

Follow me here.....

I would say it's kind of a .......... relaxbook. one you just can slack out and read. But on the other hand you are looking for great and intense reading, I'd go to LoTR or WoT. Or any of Orson Scott Cards books. I've read Enders Game like seven times, but that's me!
Old 11-17-2001, 11:57 PM   #11
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

I like Goodkind, although he seems to be falling into the Jordanesque trap of stretching his series out too long.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 09:10 PM   #12
Ozymandias
Hobbit

I liked the first couple, but then the series seemed to stagnate a bit. Hopefully the last one picked things up a little.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 10:44 PM   #13
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

Just a Random, unrelated thought.

There are too many fantasy writers named Terry.