Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-12-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
MrBishop
Elven Warrior

The truth about Truth

Most people think that truth and lies are polar opposites. I must admit that the way that our language is put together would make you think so. I've done some thinking on the matter recently, while driving (best time to think really), and have come to the conclusion IMHO that not only are they not polar opposites, they have no relation to each other.

Consider this example.

A 16yr old girl is raped and killed. After an exhaustive search using what little information that was available, a young man (also 16) is arrested. His father talks to him and asks him lots of questions...the answers that he gets and his knowledge of his own son's character lead him to say:

"My son did not kill this girl!"

Is he lying or telling the truth? The answer is...

A day later, the coroner comes back with a hair sample, a fingerprint and a DNA sample in the form of semen. An eye-witness comes out of the woodwork and identifies the boy, the girl, the time when they both entered the park where the body was found, and the time when the boy left that park alone. All of the evidence points to the boy. He confesses.

Had the father told the truth? NO
Had the father lied? NO

Lies are based on the teller's perspective of events. Truths are based on what really happened. Sometimes lies are closer to the truth than truthful statements are.

Consider the application of this in politics.
Consider the application of this in religion.

We have to come up with a new word for the polar opposite of lying OR a new word for truth... Whereby fact does not equal truth nor vice versa.

Discuss?
MrBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:45 PM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Is he lying or telling the truth?
Your logic is flawed. The only way it can be a lie is if you know the truth. The father did not know the truth, therefore he is not lying. The act of lying hinges on knowing the truth to begin with.

This post is for JD who can't seem to make his 10,000 post because it has to be so special.

I should make this his 10,002 post, techically.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:45 PM   #3
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Your examples aren't points of truth and lies.

Truth and lying ARE opposites--what you're thinking about is simply objective knowledge.

The son knew what he had done, therefor he lied to his father. The father believed the son so he told the truth as he knew it--now the father is not a factor in this truth and lies thing because he has no way of knowing the truth for sure till the hard evidence is before him.

Now if the father had KNOWN his son did it and said the son didn't, then it would be a lie because the father would have known the son did it.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:56 PM   #4
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

truth is relative, this is most obvious when it comes to such things as religion

God does not exist is true to me (& all buddhists) shintoists, taoists, confucianists
God exists is true to a christian, jew or muslim
many gods exist is true to hindus, sikhs, many animists etc
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:20 PM   #5
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Wow, great thread MrBishop! I think you'll fit right in.

I agree with Chrys. I think there can be more than one truth.

About the example... what if the son was insane? What if he was insane in some way that he either had no recollection of what he did, or he truly believed he did not do it? Then, was he lying to his father despite not knowing the truth? Or did he lie regardless of what he knew?

Could we ever, with many scientific advancements, know if he really knew what he did or not?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

You guys are still confusing objective truths.

There is only ONE truth.

Now, some times it's impossible to know the truth for sure. I believe the truth is that there IS a God, but if there were no God, then it would not be the truth even though I didn't know it--it's an objective truth based on faith.

All objective truths are based on a kind of 'faith'.

For instance lets say I put a ding in the side of a car--the TRUTH is that there's a ding in the car. If I some how hide the ding, that doesn't make the ding go away, but if someone is looking for it and can't find it, their objective truth becomes that the car is not dinged, even though the TRUTH is that it is.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:26 PM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Interesting thoughts ...

I think the opposite of truth is non-reality.

I think the opposite of "telling the truth" is lying.

I think lying is a deliberate attempt to not communicate what you think is true, and "telling the truth" is a deliberate attempt to communicate what you think is true.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

ah yes, but realtively speaking, if the dent was to be mended, then the truth would change, and yet how can something change if it is an objective truth - positivity theory tells us that all such statements can change, and not only that but usually will change, nothing ever remains the same

if i were to say what colour is the sky, you (should) reply blue, yes?
if i were to hop in my TARDIS, go to ancient Athens and ask aristotle, or plato or whoever, then the reply would be bronze

EDIT: cross post with rian
Old 04-12-2005, 06:43 PM   #9
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
if i were to say what colour is the sky, you (should) reply blue, yes?
if i were to hop in my TARDIS, go to ancient Athens and ask aristotle, or plato or whoever, then the reply would be bronze

EDIT: cross post with rian
But what color IS the sky? Reguardless of what color I or Aristotole tell you it is, there is only one REAL color that it is--that color is the real truth, although my and Aristotole's objective truths might be different.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:44 PM   #10
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yes, but the truth would still be that at a certain time and day, there was a dent in the car. I don't see how repairing it would change that truth.

I think there are some things that are a matter of personal taste and opinion, such as the exact color of the sky and which kind of ice cream is the best. Those aren't truth matters, IMO.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:46 PM   #11
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

yes, but you may notice that the statement has changed from there
is a dent to there was a dent, truth is merely relativity and perspective
Old 04-12-2005, 06:48 PM   #12
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

No, the truth becomes that there is no longer a dent in the door---the TRUE truth changed, but that does not change the fact that someone all along believed there was or was not one, and the fact that for a time the true truth was that there WAS one.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:55 PM   #13
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i didnt say that that was the truth at one point in time, i was saying that the truth did change
Old 04-12-2005, 06:56 PM   #14
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

But my whole point is still correct on the grounds that, even thought it changed, there is still only one.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #15
inked
Elf Lord

Socratic definition of truth (per Plato) in words of one syllable:

To say of what is that it is and of what is not that it is not; not to say of what is that it is not nor of what is not that it is.

Truth is objective and self-existent and discoverable. Falsehood is derivative and discoverable.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:00 AM   #16
MrBishop
Elven Warrior

Knowledge of the 'truth' or knowledge of what the individual considers the 'truth'? I believe that pretty much everyone confuses the two, because in our language, the two (truth and fact) are equivilated.

Someone says something. It can be truth, lie, truthful opinion, or untruthful opinion. Even fact is subject to the 'truth or lie' measurement

F'r instance. A devout Catholic Priest can say "There is a God" - as far as he is concerned, this is an accurate statement and is therefore, the truth. A died-in-the-wool athiest standing next to him can say "There is no God" - the same rules apply.

Both are telling the truth...but both statements contradict each other. Which is factual? Neither can be proven or disproven. So...which is the truth?

Take accepted scientific truths. The speed of light is a constant and nothing goes faster than the speed of light.

False - light slows down as it is curved by gravity-wells such as planets. Light heading directly towards 'black holes' accelerates because of the gravity, hypothetically to twice its velocity. Even smaller gravity-wells created by planets can accelerate light by a small percentage.

I seriously think that we've messed ourselves up by associating truth with facts, and placing lies as the polar opposite of truth.

**Ps...thanks. I love mentally challenging threads. I may borrow some old threads form another forum where I posted them and try them out here.. if'n y'all don't mind**
MrBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 11:45 AM   #17
inked
Elf Lord

You confuse the nature of fact and truth. Fact is a subset of truth. Some facts are empirically verifiable. Some facts are logical consequences. Some truths are self-evident. Some are counter-intuitive. But truth is not relative; it is, or the contrary.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 01:02 PM   #18
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Two of my favorite quotes on this subject are: 1) "the truth is out there" by Mulder and 2) "you can't handle the truth" by Jack Nicolson. IMO they are both correct.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:43 PM   #19
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Truth is a rabbit in a bramble patch. All you can do is circle around and say it’s somewhere in there.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:19 PM   #20
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishop
Most people think that truth and lies are polar opposites. I must admit that the way that our language is put together would make you think so. I've done some thinking on the matter recently, while driving (best time to think really), and have come to the conclusion IMHO that not only are they not polar opposites, they have no relation to each other.

Consider this example.

A 16yr old girl is raped and killed. After an exhaustive search using what little information that was available, a young man (also 16) is arrested. His father talks to him and asks him lots of questions...the answers that he gets and his knowledge of his own son's character lead him to say:

"My son did not kill this girl!"

Is he lying or telling the truth? The answer is...

A day later, the coroner comes back with a hair sample, a fingerprint and a DNA sample in the form of semen. An eye-witness comes out of the woodwork and identifies the boy, the girl, the time when they both entered the park where the body was found, and the time when the boy left that park alone. All of the evidence points to the boy. He confesses.

Had the father told the truth? NO
Had the father lied? NO

Lies are based on the teller's perspective of events. Truths are based on what really happened. Sometimes lies are closer to the truth than truthful statements are.

Consider the application of this in politics.
Consider the application of this in religion.

We have to come up with a new word for the polar opposite of lying OR a new word for truth... Whereby fact does not equal truth nor vice versa.

Discuss?
What the father said was a lie, but he was not lying as to him this was the truth and had been told to him posed as the truth. However I agree with Tessar that there is only one truth. People may believe may believe that the truth is different things but that doesn't make it true. The father believed what he was saying was the truth but that didn't make it the truth.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote