Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #1
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics

At long last the Vancouver Winter Olympics are here! How many besides me are excited about the days to come?

I'll especially look forward to the ice-hockey and alpine skiing. The other skiing events and figure skating will be great to watch as well.

The inauguration was spectacular, one of the best I've seen! Did anyone watch it? It started out good with a cool entrance of a snowboarder jumping through one of the Olympic rings. Then entered the Mounted Police and hoisted the Maple Leaf to the absolutely beautiful tones of Oh Canada! Four giant totem poles of ice were then raised and the indigenous people exhibited themselves and their cool clothes. Even a non-Canadian would have a hard time keeping a dry eye in the midst of this flood of pride and patriotism

The national teams were presented. The Georgian team received a heart-warming applause of sympathy for the luge competitor that died during training the same day. The Canadian team made a grandiose entry, but the best stuff was saved till after the presentations...

Bryan Adams and Nelly Furtado performed a lovely duet, after which a huge preternatural "white" black bear emerged from the icy ground. It rose high above the performance artists in the arena, and there were snow and northern lights.
Suddenly the ice sheet cracked open, revealing a sea underneath. The dancers saved themselves upon flakes of ice and floated away. And wow, killer whales appeared swimming in the sea!

Leonard Cohen performed, as did Sarah McLachlan. Later, a violinist descended from the sky, casting a shadow with a life of its own, on a big crimson moon behind him. Maple leaves started to fall from the sky, raining over the dancers in the arena. The very highlight of the inauguration imo, was the jolly good atmosphere created by the wonderful medley of violin music and tap dancing. Kudos to the organisers!

Things calmed down again when a guy came running and flying through fields of rye. Then a huge snow-covered mountain appeared in the middle of the arena, skiers and snowboarders making their way up and down its peak. Red-clad ice skaters (well, rollerbladers actually) circulated the base of the mountain.

Hockey legend Wayne Gretzky was the last to be handed the Olympic torch. There was apparently some mechanical glitch with the actual lighting of the Olympic fire. But well, it lit nicely anyway

Astonishing stuff, Vancouver! * * *
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 02-13-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

RIP, Nodar Kumaritashvili.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

While I'm excited about the Olympics, mainly because it's once every four years I actually get to watch a hockey game, I'm always bored stiff by opening and closing ceremonies- to each their own - like my wife who, unfortunately, loves them.

And downhill skiing of course- no guts, no glory!

Must say it's the first time I've heard that mournful dirge of ours referred to favorably, never mind "absolutely beautiful".

Almost all anthems suck, among the few exceptions being "La Marseiillaise" and "Ode to Joy"- it helps when the music is by Beethoven and the words by Schiller.

Still, roll on the Olympics and yay, Vancouver- hope the rain and fog at Cypress hold off.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Which did they use? O Canada, or God save the Queen?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Well, they're both mournful dirges, but they no longer sing "The Queen", though we used to every morning back when I was in school- and say the Lord's Prayer and have Bible readings ; none of that multi-culti church/state separation nonsense back then.

As for watching the Olympics...AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!- I had forgotten what country I was in.

Taiwan has exactly one participant in the entire Winter Games; a luge-rider who doesn't even live here and is in the bottom of the rankings.

Which means in the last 48 hours we've had about 44 hours coverage of the luge, with everything else given a quick round-up in the breaks.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
Jonathan

Lol GrayMouser. I suppose luge can't really measure up to hockey for a Canadian
But congratulations on Canada's first Olympic gold medal on home soil!
By the way, you're only claiming the hockey gold over my dead body

I just finished watching the ladies' 10 km cross-country skiing which resulted in a sweet Swedish gold medal, the first in these games so far.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 02-15-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Gold For Sweden In the Ladies Olympic Curling Final!!!

Second Time Around!!!

Yippieh!!

After a very exciting match the Swedish ladies won the Final by a near-miss from the Canadian Last Stone which ended the match with the Last Stone of the Swedish team staying put.

YippÃ*eh!!! - Well done, Ladies!!
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Gratulerer!

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:19 AM   #9
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
thanks varna!
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:09 AM   #10
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Merged thread about the Swedish winning curling into the Olympic thread.

Congratulations nevertheless!

(Even though I personally find curling a silly and pointless 'sport'. )
Old 02-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #11
Jonathan

You're not the only one to have belittling thoughts of curling
However, coming out on top in a Olympic final, held in a curling-crazed country, against the host nation itself... now that is pretty satisfactory

Today is the last day of what have, all in all, been some fun games to watch.

Poor Lindsey Jacobellis couldn't make up for her blunder in 2006 Olympics in the snowboard cross. Although this time around, she totally aced that last grab

And what was Kramer's speedskating coach thinking? It sucks to set an Olympic record, just to be disqualified because your coach told you during the race "no, go that way instead".

It's good to see Canada claiming the 1st spot in the gold medal league. Now Canada should just go ahead and win that sought-after men's hockey gold as well. That would serve as a nice frosting on the overall Olympic success

And congrats to Norway on its 100th Winter Olympic gold overall. What a feat for such a small country. It kinda overshadows the Swedish achievement of claiming its 50th gold medal

Last edited by Jonathan : 02-28-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
And congrats to Norway on its 100th Winter Olympic gold overall. What a feat for such a small country. It kinda overshadows the Swedish achievement of claiming its 50th gold medal
Thank you!

*goes to a news site to see what we got it for*

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
You're not the only one to have belittling thoughts of curling
However, coming out on top in a Olympic final, held in a curling-crazed country, against the host nation itself... now that is pretty satisfactory
I saw a part of the match, it looked quite tense. Insofar that shoving granite blocks is exciting, anyway. But I can understand curling being one of the more pointless variations on the Winter Olympics takes a backseat to a gold medal. (I wonder if we ever even won one. Lemme check, hey we did! One gold medal on the Winter Olympics. Ever. And about fifty years ago. Everything's relative off course. )