Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-04-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Autism

I hope this thread doesn't come back to bite me in the butt! BUT....what do you guys think...is it overdiagnosed these days? I'm am not meaning any disrespect to those who have loved ones diagnosed with Autism. I agree that it is very real...however I wonder if alot of the kids diagnosed these days are simply just introverted and quirky? my son is one...I am one....I have NO doubt that had I been born within the past few years that I would be diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. I have many of the symptoms....however I have never had any sort of therapy and I function fine in society albeit in my own way. Yes I am severely introverted and I am darn proud of it!
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:16 AM   #2
Mari
Elf Lady

Yes, I think it is overdiagnosed. I have a younger cousin who is exactly like me when I was younger: reading a lot, being busy with your own things in your own little world, knowing a lot of little facts that you drag up when you have to talk to someone, things like that.
My aunt and uncle at first were convinced that he was a genius, so they had him tested: not a genius. Then maybe there was something wrong, so they had him tested psychologically: slightly autistic. He got therapy and an intense guide (?) and went to a school that offers guidance.
When my mother discussed my case with school when I was young, they all agreed I was simply shy. I've worked in a place with truly autistic children and they are not like my cousin and me. I don't see why shy kids need to be called slightly autistic and need guidance and the sorts. Okay, so it takes me longer to get used to a new situation and to make contacts, but not everything has to go fast, right?
The only thing I could have used help with, was crowd-training. I can't stand crowds, or talking in groups. But do you need to be diagnosed an autist to have that? *shrugs*

Interesting thread Arien.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...

Last edited by Mari : 03-05-2008 at 05:16 AM. Reason: spelling >_<
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I don't know if it's overdiagnosed or not. But so what if it is? I don't know about your countries but here, a diagnose means you can more easily get support, should you want it. The earlier a child is diagnosed, the better because the parents are then introduced to a wide array of welfare, education and help if they think they need it. In this light, it seems better to overdiagnose than to underdiagnose.

Shyness and introversy are completely normal characteristics. Sure, if there's any aspect about the shyness that you want to change, there's help to get. But you don't have to be diagnosed with a neuropsychiatric disorder to get therapy for that.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
Mari
Elf Lady

Ah, if your last sentence refers to my last sentence: I meant does having a problem with crowds have to mean that you are autistic? Does it really need a label and "treatment"?
Sorry for the ambiguity.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
katya
Elven Maiden

I think autism, and many of the other things on the spectrum like Aspergers are all way overdiagnosed, yes. I don't know what ever happened to being shy or hyperactive or grouchy or depressed or eccentric or anything without it being a syndrome or a disorder. It's only a disorder if it severely interferes with your life... and a lot of people who are diagnosed use it as an excuse and let it control their lives. That's not to say there aren't people who really are autistic or whatever else.

I personally have always had a particular interest in autism. I think It's just... really interesting. I came across this video the other day, and I definitely think it's worth a watch. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...rssnyt&emc=rss
The words are all typed by her, written by her. It's one of those text-to-speech programs talking. I'd also recommend watching it all at once when you can sit down and pay attention to it. It's like 8 minutes or so I think.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Autism may be over diagnosed but that’s as much because we have a more refined ability to detect it then we did in the 60’s or 70’s when it was much more of a mystery then it is that its the physchology flavor of the week. Sure there may be some over reporting but don’t discount the fact that there was certainly underreporting in the past.

When I was in college, I worked with both autistic children and autistic adults and I certainly know theres a big big difference between a autistic individual and someone who is “shy” or “introverted”. The issue is that you can have autistic aspects which many of us do. I have several friends I would call autistic-like in that they display behaviors and personalities that are similar to autistic individuals. I don’t think that its just coincidence really since some of their mannerisms are to similar to true autism to be “just introspection” and one’s father has aspergers syndrome so you know theres a genetic factor there. So I think it would do everyone some service to differentiate true autism from autistic-like cases.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

I think that if a person is introverted, anymore, it is thought that that particular person is weird and...depending on if other "quirky" habits exist...possibly on the Autism Spectrum. From what I've researched 25-33% of the world are introverts....in the minority obviously....and forced to live in an extroverted world which is very hard at times. Not liking groups and crowds are classic introverted qualities. I dislike both. I also hate small talk and have horrible eye contact. (so much so that I am painfully aware of it anymore). I will also at times engage in some sort of repetitive behavior. For example, I will often turn a toy car over and play with the wheels and I will shake my hand back and forth if my rings are loose. I never gave a thought that these might be horrible problems that I need to correct....good lord. So all these things can place me on the autism spectrum.

so the stats for autism anymore are 1 in 150 or 166....back in the 80s it was 1 in 8000 (I think...I'll have to get some references on that. at any rate it was really rare then) so my thoughts are that they have broadened the spectrum to include people (mostly introverts). If it is genetic, where are all the adult "autistics" that should have been diagnosed back in the 80s? How do they function today? I think I function fine in society. I have friends (not a ton but a few). I am married and I can hold a job and get along fine with people.

Edit: so IR, do you think people need to correct any autisitic-like mannerisms or not? What have you seen that really differentiates a true autistic vs someone who displays a few of the signs?

Last edited by Arien the Maia : 03-05-2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: addional question
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
katya
Elven Maiden

I don't think anyone should have to change who they are. If they are having a really hard time getting along in the world and want to change that's different, but I think there should be more tolerance all around for people who are different rather than trying to make everyone live the same way. If you're unhappy, change your perspective, not who you are... i guess...
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I'm not sure. I know people with Autism that aren't at all functional, despite specialized support. I know people who use the diagnosis as an excuse for lazy parenting. The same is true of many other complaints that used to be covered by terms like "slow" or "hyper" and now have formal medical titles and treatment plans.

I don't know how much people should be accommodated, frankly, but it's easy for me to say so, because I'm not much affected. Whether you say "He's been diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder" or you say, "He's ornery.", adults have a responsibility to try to give children an ability to cope with people. When the diagnosis diminishes that responsibility, it's a bad thing.

It's all like left-handedness, isn't it? The answer sits somewhere in the middle. Not tying the hand up, and not just saying "Hey, she's a lefty, she doesn't need to eat with a fork."

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #10
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien the Maia View Post
Edit: so IR, do you think people need to correct any autisitic-like mannerisms or not? What have you seen that really differentiates a true autistic vs someone who displays a few of the signs?
No not necessarily. I think they should be taken as face value not just slapped with an autistic sticker and thats it. If you are showing signs of obsessive compulsive ticks or behavior patterns then thats what you are experiencing and they should be approached as such. Not autism. If these compulsive behaviors are debilitating then yes they should be treated. If they are minor or dont really interfere with your normal life then no you dont really need to worry about them. Everyone has something like that. Its just about how much they effect or interfere with your normal life.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote