Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-10-2000, 01:45 AM   #1
AngelLord

HOw to make your ezboard grow

I have 3 ezboards(I just started Druid's Keep forum). My most successful has only 25 members and I've been with ezboard forever, how do I make my forums grow?
Old 07-10-2000, 03:22 AM   #2
IronParrot

Re: HOw to make your ezboard grow

I think bmilder's strategy was to recruit a lot of friends he already knew well from other forums where he already had a reputation (good or bad, you decide!), choose a popular but not-too-general topic, and use its position as the biggest board on the subject to advantage.

Once you're the biggest board on a certain subject, you're on a roll, because people seem to flock to the biggest boards...
Old 07-10-2000, 04:47 AM   #3
juntel

Go in ezboard's own board at pub2.ezboard.com/bezboard and post in some of the forums there, like in the "feature" forum , etc...
Ask questions in the "help" forums, hinting a few of the good things about your board along the way...

That way some users and admins of other boards will get to know you and your board, and it's up to you from there...

(i got to know Entmoot that way!)

Also... your boards must be interesting in themselves...
Old 07-10-2000, 09:21 AM   #4
Darth Tater

The fact of the matter is if you create an ezboard because you want to own a popular board you will ultimately fail. Back in September when I first suggested to Ben that we start a board about Tolkien it was not because we figured we wanted our own, but because the need had arisen. There were a group of us at the JC who used to talk about LOTR, but we thought it would be better if we had our own board. Back then there were very few Tolkien related bb's, and we already had people who we knew would visit it, so Entmoot took off. It is still successfull to this day because it filled a need.
The biggest mistake people make is starting an ezboard because they want one. There are literaly thousands of Star Wars boards out there, and dozens more poping up every day, most of which die before the night is over. This is because the need does not exist, there are already boards to discuss Star Wars, so why go to another one? If there's already a good board about the topic you're interessted in join it, you'll get heard much more then if you start another one.
Old 07-10-2000, 09:42 AM   #5
Fat middle

perhaps it´s not on topic, but i forgot to ask Ben before he parted how have he get to put Entmoot at the Ezboard Community Suitcase.

is it based on traffic statistics or do he had to pay bribes to the Ezboard Staff?
Old 07-10-2000, 11:42 AM   #6
anduin

He emailed they guy that's in charge of choosing which boards are put into the showcase and told him about Entmoot. It wasn't an instant thing, the guy asked if he would add some graphics and what-not. Thus the animated tree gif and LOTR icons made by Noldo.
Old 07-10-2000, 07:28 PM   #7
Darth Tater

Ahem, I made the tree thing
Old 07-12-2000, 06:39 PM   #8
bmilder

What Tater said.

It's also important to advertise, but subtly. Going to boards and spamming is not a good way. Put it in your signature, but don't use big flashy banners. Also remember it takes time for a board to grow. It took over three months to get 100 members here.