Old 12-18-2000, 02:47 AM   #3
Elysha

Re: do you like math?

Yes.
Old 12-18-2000, 02:49 AM   #4
GlaurungTheGold

i love math

[grover]oh iiiii looooove maaaath... i love it.. becuuuuuuz iiiit's maaath....[/grover]
Old 12-18-2000, 02:54 AM   #5
Darth Horus

Old 12-18-2000, 03:03 AM   #6
Darth Snack

I also hate FST.
Old 12-18-2000, 03:28 AM   #7
gdl96

math is ok
Old 12-18-2000, 03:28 AM   #8
captain Tarpols

no fence sitting!
Old 12-18-2000, 04:34 AM   #9
anduin

*ahh-choo.....cough.....sniff*

Math is a part of life.....you may not like it, but you should learn to get along with it.
Old 12-18-2000, 02:17 PM   #10
Eruve

Re: *ahh-choo.....cough.....sniff*

I always hated math in school. I was glad when I went to university that I went to one that had no distribution requirements and I didn't have to take any more math. Ironically enough, I'm better at it now than I was in high school. The only part of math I remember liking was in trigometry where you had to prove two functions equal or not.
Old 12-18-2000, 03:08 PM   #11
Bullroarer

math sucks

but I'm good at it.....DAMN
Old 12-18-2000, 05:10 PM   #12
Shanamir Duntak

Re: math sucks

Math is only a TOOL, not a science by itself. I like algebra only when it gives me acces to the answer of a higher problem....

By the way... Glad to be back!
Old 12-18-2000, 05:10 PM   #13
SilvaRanger

I like maths

As long as I have my trusty calculator:lol: :
Actually I quite liked it at school we had a really good teacher and he made it fun! Then he left and we got a rubbishy old teacher who threw things at your head if he thought you weren't listening, well at least I learned to duck quick!
Old 12-18-2000, 10:59 PM   #14
emilsson

Re: I like maths

Math was my favorite subject in high school, but it isn't a subject I would like to work with like being a teacher.

Still, it has helped me to learn how to make good strategies for solving a problem when writing a thesis.
Old 12-19-2000, 12:09 AM   #15
ArwenUndomiel02

math?

math in general or certain types? algebra is so simple i love it. geom and trig annoy me terriblly.
Old 12-19-2000, 12:17 AM   #16
X Rogue

Re: math?

Math, blechhhhh. Arithmetic, yuckkkkkk. No thank you.
Old 12-19-2000, 01:26 AM   #17
Grand Admiral Reese

Don't really like it all that much.
Old 12-19-2000, 02:16 AM   #18
Elysha

Emilsson, I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned how math helps one develop strategies in other disciplines (your thesis). My favorite thing about math is the reasoning skills it develops. I also like having the ability to look into scientific claims when arguing about an issue, instead of simply backing down before whoever has more science! One of the awesome things about math is how many analogies can be drawn from mathematical principles.
Old 12-19-2000, 02:16 AM   #19
Gilthalion

Mathematics: Learn it, Love it, Live it!

No really!

Like many of you, back when I was a youngster, I was pretty good at math.

(In fact, I could do ALL math homework in nothing flat and often was the fellow folks cheated off of!)

I took all of the advanced math courses I could because otherwise school was UTTERLY boring! It was just something to do!

But I never studied, had a B average, and abandoned it upon going to the Universities.

Now, with a fine Liberal Arts education, I am testing woodchips in an industrial laboratory and using math each and every day.

I create my own spreadsheets to deal with quality control and inventory analysis and I have to formulate new procedures with constantly changing circumstances.

And my High School math pays more than I ever made in 20 years of Radio Broadcasting!

Fortunately, I took those math courses in High School. I had to grab a bunch of Trigonometry and Algebra textbooks from a used bookstore to cram for the test the Company made me take to get the job!

LEARN THAT MATH!!!!
Old 12-19-2000, 10:44 AM   #20
Brie Cheese Eater

CT told me to reply here, so... I love math. Well, most of it. Okay, fine, half of it! I don't like the arithmetic side that much -- it's okay, but not fun. Algebra is fun. I like being able to answer questions with an equation instead of guessing and checking. And it's just that all of a sudden it's easier to figure out how to solve problems. I mean, there are some problems that before I learned algebra I looked at and thought, "How the heck do I figure this out?" But afterwards, I looked back and saw that it was easy, I just didn't know how to start.