Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-12-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Rapist wins lottery...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3554008.stm

Interesting case. What do you think he should do with the money? On one hand, psychological damage from rape can last all life, so it wouldn't be entirely unappropriate for him to compensate his victims, even if it is 20 years after said crimes. On the other, he sat out most of a life-sentence already. It just isn't right to go after him because he got lucky and just happens to be a criminal. And after all, he did pay his lottery ticket like anyone else...

thoughts?
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:59 PM   #2
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3554008.stm

Interesting case. What do you think he should do with the money? On one hand, psychological damage from rape can last all life, so it wouldn't be entirely unappropriate for him to compensate his victims, even if it is 20 years after said crimes. On the other, he sat out most of a life-sentence already. It just isn't right to go after him because he got lucky and just happens to be a criminal. And after all, he did pay his lottery ticket like anyone else...

thoughts?
he won it fair and square. i dont see how you can take it away from him. the funny part is they put him in a high security situation because they are afraid that inmates will kill him when they find out hes a lottery millionare.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:02 PM   #3
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
he won it fair and square. i dont see how you can take it away from him. the funny part is they put him in a high security situation because they are afraid that inmates will kill him when they find out hes a lottery millionare.
This happened in England, so I'm not sure how things work there.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:09 PM   #4
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

looks like his wife wants to sue him and take some share of the money and give it to his victims, she may be entitled to some because they are not divorced yet.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004371452,00.html
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.

Last edited by gimli7410 : 08-12-2004 at 04:13 PM.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:09 PM   #5
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

However, now that he is a millionaire, his victims will probably sue him, which in all honesty is bullcrap, because it's obvious they are just going after his new money. I also feel he paid the consequences, and a turn of good fortune for him should not automatically mean a way for his victims to get his winnings. Him winning the lottery and having raped someone are two totally unrelated things. Both things should follow their course separately. I think it is likely his victims will sue him out of sheer greed. I hope the rape victims will realize that money won't solve their emotional problems.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:37 PM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

What? Just because he spent some time in jail doesn't mean that the women he raped have gotten over it. I think he should pay compensation to his victims. Something as horrific as rape takes something away from the victims that can NEVER be repaired.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:47 PM   #7
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
What? Just because he spent some time in jail doesn't mean that the women he raped have gotten over it. I think he should pay compensation to his victims. Something as horrific as rape takes something away from the victims that can NEVER be repaired.
I know that, but money won't do crap for their emotional problems, check my last sentence. I think it would be very greedy to sue the rapist, since the event happened 20 years ago. I think something constructive should be done with the money like giving some of it to a organization that helps raped woman. The rapist could/should give some compensation to the rape victims however, I do not think it should be made mandatory.

Last edited by Ragnarok : 08-12-2004 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:07 AM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeah? So what? Read my last sentence. That the rapes happened 20+ years ago is irrelevant. They will NEVER recover from being brutalised. I agree with you that some of the money should go towards a rape crisis organisation though.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:36 AM   #9
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Maybe his parole board could consider how he disposes of this wealth as evidence of his contrition. Otherwise, I don't see what him winning the lottery has to do with his criminal record.

IMO, it would be good if his victims could sue him. However, the elapsed time is relevant, because there's a statute of limitations of, I think, 6 years on civil claims for compensation.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 05:29 AM   #10
Hawklan
Enting

From what Ive read, legally there is nothing that can be done to stop him getting the dosh - surely the law needs changing to stop convicted criminals who are supposedly being punished foer their crimes from being able to gamble.
But lets face it, the scum is a serial rapist and doesnt deserve to be alive never mind going out on day trips and buying lottery tickets ( al paid for by the likes of me ! ).
Ift the victims were successful in suing etc, the money wouldnt change the fact that their lives have been blighted, but it could bring some happiness and security to innocent victims.
because I'm still in love with you on this harvest moon.Well the sun is surely sinking down
But the moon is slowly rising
So this old world must still be spinning 'round
And I still love you

NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
Hawklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 11:10 AM   #11
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Of course it's unfair that a jailed rapist can win £7 million, but the lawmakers screwed up and it's too late to do anything about this case. Like I said, by all means learn from your mistakes and close the loophole in the lottery rules. This whole debacle is the result of a bizarre loophole that says a prisoner can't participate in a whole variety of gambling and games of chance, yet somehow Lotto is exempt. The government will no doubt move swiftly to close the loophole and placate the jealous masses. People are just bitter because apparently there's some unwritten rule that good things can't happen to bad people. Fact is, according to legal experts, any civil claims made this long after the event are almost bound to fail -- the judges aren't here to feed people's opportunism. What happens to this money is the owner's choice, but since he's already serving a life sentence he may not necessarily feel indebted to society, so don't hold your breath.

Society's error. It's done. Move on.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:37 PM   #12
Hawklan
Enting

I still reckon he should be put down or neutered at the very least - a couple of house bricks should do the trick.
because I'm still in love with you on this harvest moon.Well the sun is surely sinking down
But the moon is slowly rising
So this old world must still be spinning 'round
And I still love you

NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
Hawklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 04:15 PM   #13
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, that's the bone of errr... contention, innit? That a serial rapist, and a convict, was able to buy a winning ticket in the first place. I'm still all in favour of that money being appropriated and used towards the victims and a trust in aid of helping rape victims. In this instance, I'm afraid I don't stand for his rights - he blew them when he took assaulted those women.

*BoP is all in favour of lobotomies and carstrations for serial rapists.

Hi Hawk.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:31 AM   #14
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok on 08-15-2004
Society's error. It's done. Move on.
Nope, bringing it back cause I have some questions(even though you might not be here anymore).

What in the hell is a person serving a life sentence doing on 'a day pass' anyway? And how the hell is he 'coming to an end of a life sentence'? What's sad is this bastard is probably living it up in some sweet pad on the coast of France. Does anyone have anything new on this guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoP
*BoP is all in favour of lobotomies and carstrations for serial rapists.
So is Faramir.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:02 AM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

nice bump.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:37 AM   #16
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Woah, what a necropost!

I thought this was new and I was hoping he'd buy an oak bookshelf with the money and it would fall on him or something.

But as this was 2 years ago... anyone know what happened?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:23 AM   #17
sun-star
Lady of Letters

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/4903684.stm

In fact this was in the news just yesterday.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:28 PM   #18
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
I agree. Lottery isn't based on lifestyle, morality, or not being a complete [CENSORED], but on luck. He got lucky.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #19
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
Okay, so no one knows how a person serving a life sentence and has a history of attacking women in public can get a day pass to just prance around town and buy lotto tickets? What's going on in Merry Ol' England?

Quote:
Hoare, 53, was jailed for life in May 1989 and spent 16 years in prison.

It was while he was on day release late in 2004, prior to being freed on parole the following March, that he bought the lottery ticket which netted him £7.2m.
There are people in jail right now serving 20 yrs without the possibility of parole for growing and selling a plant to other consenting adults, this guy rapes elderly women and he only serves 16 yrs of a life sentence? For what, good behavior? Maybe that's because in prison he doesn't have access to women. The judicial system is a joke.