Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-22-2004, 01:02 AM   #1
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Lord of the Rings Symphony

Last Friday (7/16/04) I got to attend Howard Shore's LotR Symphony at Benaroyal Hall in Seattle, with the Seattle Symphony. It was six movements, about 2 and a half hours. It was totally worth the $40 I spent on tickets, it was marvellous. I'm not a regular symphony-goer so don't ask me any more. It was accompanied by sketches and drawings by Alan Lee and John Howe (hope I've got the names right, I've mislaid my program.) The Seattle audience was very enthusiastic.
It's happening in about five cities worldwide. I highly recommend it if it comes to your neck of the woods. It was thrilling. You wouldn't think so, since most of us probably have the music memorized, but it was really amazing. And I enjoyed watching Mr. Shore conduct. And the female soloist, whose name utterly escapes me, was fabulous.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:46 AM   #2
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Wow, that would be amazing. I love the music from Lord of the Rings and it would be wonderful to see it performed live. They need to come to Atlanta, because that's probably the closest they would come to me. Even though it's still about 4 hours away, I'd bug my parents to let me go.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:56 AM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hmmm..maybe Chicago? I'd pay and drive to hear/see this too! Lucky Entlover!
Old 07-23-2004, 03:34 AM   #4
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

My daughter saw it in Sydney. She said she cried most of the way through it (because it was so emotional!! - not because it was bad ). At the end of the symphony she had her photo taken with Howard Shaw and also got his autograph. He was really nice and very patient with his numerous fans.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:39 AM   #5
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Hmmm... I got a mailing that it's coming to Chicago but hadn't really been considering going. Maybe I'll think about it some more. Not really a symphony-goer myself, but there's always a first, right?

(For Lizra and any others close enough to Chicago) It will be at the Auditorium Theatre on October 8th & 9th, 8 pm (CST) and it says it features the great vocalist 'Sissel' (now why is that name familiar? ). Tickets are available through Ticketmaster.

Uh... I'll ask my wife if she'd like to go, but would it be just too weird for Chicago regional-area 'mooters to meet and see it together? Or rendezvous after the show?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 07:35 AM   #6
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Hmmm... I got a mailing that it's coming to Chicago but hadn't really been considering going. Maybe I'll think about it some more. Not really a symphony-goer myself, but there's always a first, right?

(For Lizra and any others close enough to Chicago) It will be at the Auditorium Theatre on October 8th & 9th, 8 pm (CST) and it says it features the great vocalist 'Sissel' (now why is that name familiar? ). Tickets are available through Ticketmaster.

Uh... I'll ask my wife if she'd like to go, but would it be just too weird for Chicago regional-area 'mooters to meet and see it together? Or rendezvous after the show?

Wow! Arty Farty is singing?
Old 07-23-2004, 05:11 PM   #7
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
Wow! Arty Farty is singing?
Well you know - spell my name backwards!

Sissel Kyrkjebø (an incredible name, I know ) is actually a Norwegian singer, and she has a beautiful voice. That concert is worth hearing, only for her!
Old 07-24-2004, 01:21 AM   #8
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Has anyone heard if they're planning to come to Atlanta?

Old 07-24-2004, 01:22 AM   #9
Entlover
Elven Warrior

That was her name - Sissel! I knew it started with an S.
She was very beautiful and has a marvelous voice. Some of the other soloists were hard to hear under the music, but she was highly audible. I highly recommend the symphony if it comes anywhere near you. It's only going to be in a few cities and it's a major event. And it was cool watching Howard Shore conduct. It's funny but his personality seems to come through. You wouldn't think that watching somebody's back for 2 hours would tell you much about them, but so it is.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:44 AM   #10
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Khamul, I've looked in several places on the web and can't seem to find much info on where the symphony will be. It will be performed in New Mexico on Sept 17 and 19, at UNMs Popejoy Hall. That's all I can find out. Suggest you call your local symphony orchestra and ask if they're hosting Howard Shore anytime soon.
Here's a cool note by someone who interviewed Howard Shore about the symphony:
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1090630504
Old 07-24-2004, 01:52 AM   #11
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Thanks for the idea. But I just checked the Atlanta Symphony website and it seems that I missed it. Their performances were at the beginning of June. If only I'd heard about it sooner, I would have gladly paid the money and driven the 4 hours to see it.

Old 07-24-2004, 01:55 AM   #12
Entlover
Elven Warrior

That's too bad. It's odd that it's so hard to find out where it's being presented. If anyone finds out the rest of the cities, maybe he could post them.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:05 PM   #13
Mercutio

The Philadelphia Orchestra recently played it at the Mann Center in Philly. Sadly, I was too busy to go.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:50 PM   #14
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Well... never gone to a symphony before, but I'm going.

Asked my wife about it. At first she wasn't interested (can't get her 'into' Tolkien), but she looked at the mailing and later said, "OK, I'll go there with you." So I called Ticketmaster and got two tickets for Friday, October 8th.

If anyone else is considering seeing it in Chicago, it's October 8th and 9th at 8pm. Tickets are $33, $48, $63 or $78, depending on seating... and there were about 4 extra charges that came to about $11 or $12 per ticket. So... brace yourselves!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 09:29 AM   #15
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Quote:

Asked my wife about it. At first she wasn't interested (can't get her 'into' Tolkien), but she looked at the mailing and later said, "OK, I'll go there with you." So I called Ticketmaster and got two tickets for Friday, October 8th.

If anyone else is considering seeing it in Chicago, it's October 8th and 9th at 8pm. Tickets are $33, $48, $63 or $78, depending on seating... and there were about 4 extra charges that came to about $11 or $12 per ticket. So... brace yourselves!
AAAAAAAGHHHH!!!!!!!!

The day after my birthday!!!! (*sigh*)

Val, you are a lucky duck....

I wish I lived closer to Chicago ... Perhaps it will come to the Rochester Philharmonic next season, though. They're a great orchestra and have gotten excellent performers and programs in the past. I'll have to look it up!

(Hiy'all, BTW -- I know I haven't posted in awhile...limited time & access!! Miss you all!!! BC)

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 02:13 AM   #16
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:

Asked my wife about it. At first she wasn't interested (can't get her 'into' Tolkien), but she looked at the mailing and later said, "OK, I'll go there with you."
That's great! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. At least it gives you an excuse to dress up -- I had to ask the ticket office what people wear since I hadn't been to a symphony for a long time.
Let us know how you like it.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:25 AM   #17
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Oh, I wanna go! Oh wow that'd be awesome, I love the music!
It's not playing here though.

You guys better enjoy it !
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 04:11 PM   #18
The Nameless One
Hobbit

Im going to the LOTR Symphony at the Hollywood Bowl this september. But Howard Shore isnt going to be conducting. Its still going to be great though; plus they are showing art by Alan Lee and John Howe during the performance. Its gonna be so cool.
The Nameless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 12:13 AM   #19
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Here's what Ticketmaster says: I could only find info for the USA however:
The Symphony will be at:
Hollywood Bowl in LA on 9/21
at the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago on 10/8 and 10/9,
at the Fox Theatre in Detroit Michigan on 10/16,
and at Meyerhoff Symphony Hall in Baltimore MD on 12/7 and 8.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:30 PM   #20
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamûl
Has anyone heard if they're planning to come to Atlanta?
Actually, yes! I looked at the Atlanta Symphony's concert season, and the LotR Symphony will be there! (Yes, WITH Howard Shore...)

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote