Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-26-2004, 06:10 PM   #1
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Some spiritual poetry

Hello all. I hadn't heard of this forum until Sister Golden Hair recently pointed it out to me. I love to write--short stories and poetry mostly, though I recently I did, proudly, finish a 77 page fantasy.

Anyway, most of my writings are spiritual, and I thought I'd share some with the forum. Let me know what you think.

The first one is called "Among The Flowers", and is about an experience I had somewhat recently, when I was staying at a monastery. One monk by the name of Swami Atmatatwananda went with me to gather flowers for the beautiful gardens in the convent. It was amazing experience, and how I felt there is the subject of this free verse poem:

Among The Flowers

I saw what few shall ever see
In one fleeting life,
Wherein eyes are shut
And the noise of the future
Ever resounds,
Cracking value,
Consuming the small.
I saw there little children of God,
And upon their delicate forms
Were tied wondrous names
That chanted harmoniously:
Chrysanthemum, chrysanthemum,
And the monk who was near
Heard their glorious voices
And shivered with joy
As he pointed towards the truth,
"Listen" he seemed to say,
And then I heard it too,
But now a symphony of marvels
Played, caressing my heart
That beat to that holy name:
Chrysanthemum, chrysanthemum.

This next one is called "Can you hear me?", and like most of my poetry is also free-verse. To me it takes place from the perspective of one idea of God.

Can you hear me?

Can you hear me?
I am murmuring soundless solace
Out into the darkness,
Where the discord plays,
Loud and cold.

Will you not hear me?
The wind may scream to you,
But it has no warmth for your heart,
And I dearly want you back.
Come back.

Please hear me.
Noble child, there is no world
I have not made for you,
But it is time you awake
From this dream of sorrow.

Hear me.
Be where you have always been,
Inside your resplendent star
Where you remember who I am:
The silence of your soul.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:33 PM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Just out of curiosity .... why has no one responded to this? Do I smell? *sniff sniff*
Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 AM   #3
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I don't attend this forum as often now as once.

I really like the feeling and emotion behind the poems. It is very strong and emphatic, and the words of the second one particularly seem to be a cry from the heart. It brings across more passion and sounds more poignancy then one normally attributes to God. That's a mistake I make all too readily.

The experience you describe is like to another one I've heard of, of God opening people's ears so that they heard music. Extremely neat stuff . How long ago was the experience, if I might ask? What religion are you a member of?

Good job on the fantasy novel writing. 77 pages is a large amount; I'm glad you stuck through to the end . I'm certain you're very pleased about that also .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-06-2004 at 03:18 AM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:49 PM   #4
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Thank you very much for the reply and the comments/compliments Lief.

My stay at the monastery was this year, I think at the beginning of the summer. It's a monastery in Hollywood (if you can believe that), which belongs to the Vedanta Society of Southern California (which in turn is a part of the Ramakrishna Order of India).

Quote:
What religion are you a member of?
I am a Vedantist. Vedanta is the most popular philosophical school of Hinduism (there are six orthodox schools). I've also explored the faiths of Christianity and Buddhism, and I believe that all religions are equal and valid paths to the truth, or ultimate reality, a belief of mind that is supported by Vedanta. I thank you for your interest

Quote:
the second one particularly seem to be a cry from the heart. It brings across more passion and sounds more poignancy then one normally attributes to God. That's a mistake I make all too readily.
I don't know, perhaps it isn't a mistake. I see God as both with and without attributes. I think God can be passionate, God can be that He or She, calling you back to your true home, but God can also be that It that supports the grounds of being, the woven threads that bind Space and Time, and the weaver of those threads, who transcends the Universe. As for poignancy, I think it is helpful to view God in this way, because then it may be easier to feel the strong bond of relationship between God and the devotee. Yes, God can be the King and Ruler, and there is nothing wrong with this ideal, but God can also be the lover, and the friend. Anyway I'm not sure that there is a wrong way to view God. One passage of the Bhagavad Gita runs thusly:

Quote:
When a devotee wishes, with unwavering faith, to worship me in a particular form, I take that form.
Please note to anyone reading this: I don't mean to impose my views upon any of you! Good Lief asked me a question about my religion, and that gives me an excuse to blabber.

Thanks again for the reply.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:48 PM   #5
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ñólendil
Thank you very much for the reply and the comments/compliments Lief.

My stay at the monastery was this year, I think at the beginning of the summer. It's a monastery in Hollywood (if you can believe that), which belongs to the Vedanta Society of Southern California (which in turn is a part of the Ramakrishna Order of India).
I knew there were Buddhist monasteries, but not that there were Hindu ones. Another testament to my lack of knowledge about your religion .
Quote:
Quote:
What religion are you a member of?

I am a Vedantist. Vedanta is the most popular philosophical school of Hinduism (there are six orthodox schools). I've also explored the faiths of Christianity and Buddhism, and I believe that all religions are equal and valid paths to the truth, or ultimate reality, a belief of mind that is supported by Vedanta. I thank you for your interest
This delights me, I must confess quite frankly . I haven't met any Hindus from whom I could learn about their beliefs. Would you like to discuss religion with me, over email?
Quote:
Quote:
the second one particularly seem to be a cry from the heart. It brings across more passion and sounds more poignancy then one normally attributes to God. That's a mistake I make all too readily.

I don't know, perhaps it isn't a mistake. I see God as both with and without attributes. I think God can be passionate, God can be that He or She, calling you back to your true home, but God can also be that It that supports the grounds of being, the woven threads that bind Space and Time, and the weaver of those threads, who transcends the Universe. As for poignancy, I think it is helpful to view God in this way, because then it may be easier to feel the strong bond of relationship between God and the devotee. Yes, God can be the King and Ruler, and there is nothing wrong with this ideal, but God can also be the lover, and the friend. Anyway I'm not sure that there is a wrong way to view God. One passage of the Bhagavad Gita runs thusly:

Quote:
When a devotee wishes, with unwavering faith, to worship me in a particular form, I take that form.

Please note to anyone reading this: I don't mean to impose my views upon any of you! Good Lief asked me a question about my religion, and that gives me an excuse to blabber.

Thanks again for the reply.
Lol! I don't think that any administrator or moderator that knows me would rise to my defense at this point .

Anyhow, if you would like to discuss this subject with me over email, I would be very interested to do so.

Regards,

Lief
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote