Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-28-2004, 10:43 PM   #1
azalea
Long lost mooter

Entmoot LotR screenplay

AT LONG LAST!!

Please see my note about this here . [EDIT: okay my link isn't working, does anyone know how to insert a post id? - the tech-illiterate mod ]

I'll post it as I have time. Remember: the OTHER thread is for comments.

I didn't want to take all the time to include each and every thing, I leave the minute details to the director. I also wrote "as in the book" a lot, meaning that if you want to see how it will play out, just read that part in the book. Of course I don't have the time to write out every line of dialogue.
Also, remember I have included everything, without regard to time constraints. I leave all chopping to the directors and editors, at their discretion (although I will add my input to the discussion for consideration).
Just remember, Hector, since this IS our "fantasy" version, we CAN leave stuff in, because our movie has no limits!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:48 PM   #2
azalea
Long lost mooter

Entmoot LotR screenplay: original draft

We open at the Ivy Bush w/ the Gaffer and other hobbits discussing Bilbo and Frodo. The interior is dim but cheerful, wood paneled walls, a fire in the hearth, most of the several hobbits present are sitting around a couple of tables, all involved in the conversation at hand. Include the dialogue as written in the book. Gaffer should come off as grandfatherly, but not too old, more middle-aged, but somewhat craggy and rough around the edges. His lines need to come off especially well: well paced but natural

Cut to field in late afternoon/ dusk. Dwarves in cart going up to Bag End singing, followed by Gandalf. They pass the gate, which has on it the No Admittance sign. They unload the stuff as hobbit children look on. One says “G for Grand!” in response to the G on the packages being unloaded. Bilbo gives pennies to them, Gandalf tells them to go, and the door abruptly closes. Cut to inside, and Bilbo and Gandalf’s conversation plays out as in the book, using the descriptions and actions given.

Cut to an exploding firework, we hear the noise of the party crowd, pan down; they are all drinking and enjoying the display. Then show the dragon firework as it is described in the book, ending with a shot of Bilbo calling, “That’s the sign for dinner!”

Cut to inside the tent, pan around showing hobbits eating as they finish their meals, then we hear mutterings of “here comes the speech,” (et al?)
[this is driving me nuts, for the life of me I can’t remember the stage direction term when you want the actors to ad lib similar lines! It’s something like “et al.” It may even BE et al, but for some reason that doesn’t seem right. Please post in the other thread if you know the term I’m talking about.]
Include Bilbo’s speech in its entirety (including the young hobbit “orchestra,” etc., as described in the book). As it nears its conclusion, the camera pans around to show the bored hobbit faces, then the flash of light as Bilbo disappears. The camera moves around to capture the ensuing confusion, capturing their reactions, and stops on Frodo, our first view of him, as described in the book.

Cut to Bilbo going back to Bag End, getting ready, putting ring in back pocket.
Include Gandalf and Bilbo’s conversation as described in the book. The packet drops to the floor, Gandalf retrieves it. Close up on Bilbo’s face, linger on change from anger to relief. He seems to age slightly as he sings, then turns and goes out with the three dwarves, they walk away from the camera down the path at an angle. The camera pulls back to show Gandalf watching them go.

Cut to Frodo coming into the darkness of Bag End (as described in book).

Cut to next day – hobbits lined up at Bag End with wheelbarrows, etc. Camera moves down long line of hobbits as we hear the hum of their murmuring; fairly quickly the camera moves into the door of Bag End to reveal all the activity therein: relatives sorting through packages, Merry helping them find what’s been left to them. This is all shown as a fairly loud, chaotic process so the audience gets a feel of being there.
Focus in on the exchange with Otho and Lobelia, ending with “You’re a Brandybuck!” as they exit, and the ensuing lines between Merry and Frodo from the book. Then we hear a loud knocking. They look up and we see Gandalf appear in the window. We then see their conversation as described in the book.
Gandalf leaves, then fade out.

MORE TO COME
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:43 PM   #3
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

thats all I have to say about that.
Excellent excellance! *gives Azalea a big smooch for doing all this hard work*

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote