Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 04:15 PM   #1
LickTheEnvelope
Hobbit

Elves in LOTR

Since I put newbie info. here I decided to change it up and add something that... actually deals with LOTR. I have started reading the trilogy 4 times... each time I have finished the first book but I have never got through all three. Right now i'm polishing off the Fellowship for the 4th time! and WILL actually get through the three.

ON TO MY POINT:

I find it funny how after the Hobbit I felt some distain towards the Elves as they seemed somewhat rude capturing the Dwarves, but also the Kings lust for jewels (as I recall) was much like that of the Dwarves. In the LOTR we see different Elven towns (Rivendell and Lothlorien) both of which don't seem to have any strive for wealth at all.

Does anyone out there think that this character difference was a drastic change by Tolkien from the Hobbit to when he wrote the LOTR?

Did he change the nature of Elves to accomodate LOTR?

Last edited by LickTheEnvelope : 11-30-2004 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:25 PM   #2
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Go to the General Messages Forum and to the Welcoming Newbies thread.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 11-30-2004, 08:02 PM   #3
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope
Since I put newbie info. here I decided to change it up and add something that... actually deals with LOTR. I have started reading the trilogy 4 times... each time I have finished the first book but I have never got through all three. Right now i'm polishing off the Fellowship for the 4th time! and WILL actually get through the three.

ON TO MY POINT:

I find it funny how after the Hobbit I felt some distain towards the Elves as they seemed somewhat rude capturing the Dwarves, but also the Kings lust for jewels (as I recall) was much like that of the Dwarves. In the LOTR we see different Elven towns (Rivendell and Lothlorien) both of which don't seem to have any strive for wealth at all.

Does anyone out there think that this character difference was a drastic change by Tolkien from the Hobbit to when he wrote the LOTR?

Did he change the nature of Elves to accomodate LOTR?
The world of The Hobbit is different in many respects from the Legendarium, including the LotR. This is one of them. And, if you read The Silmarillion, you will see that Elves can be as lustful for jewels and as wrongheaded as anybody else.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:15 PM   #4
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Oh... the Silmarillion. My area of interest.

btw, good job of changing this, LTE, Lick, Licky? (what do you prefer? There's no way I'm writing it out all the time). I was wondering how long it was going to take an admin to come and close it down...

I've got little to add after Attalus's statement, except that in Lothlorien and Rivendell you see the last remnants of the House of Finwe, and it's understandable why they would not be striving for wealth after the First and Second Ages. And maybe the Rings that Galadriel and Elrond bore have some effect also.

btw, isn't Rivendell briefly in the Hobbit also...?

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 11-30-2004 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:47 AM   #5
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Yes Elemmire, The company do go to Imladris durring The Hobbit, and it is only the elves of Mirkwood who were edgy about the travelers.

To Mr. Lick I'd have to point out that The Mirkwood elves had more to fear than those of Lorien or Imladris because the tower of Dol Guldur was in southern Mirkwood and the whole wood almost had become a haven for evil beasts, i.e. spiders. The elves of Mirkwood may have been worried about spys of the Necromancer(otherwise known as Sauron) or maybe trespassing is a very important thing in the dangerous area of Mirkwood, you can't blame the elves for trying to protect themselves and being a little paranoid.

Other than that the elves of Imladris were quite nice and hospitable to the travelers. Elrond himself had them in his company.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Old 12-01-2004, 05:34 AM   #6
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Welcome to Entmoot, 'LickTheEnvelope'. We don't allow individual introduction threads here, so I'll be closing this. Otherwise I see that you've already introduced yourself in the appropriate thread as well.

closing

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Closed Thread