FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2004, 08:45 PM   #1
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Arwen's death questions

In appendix a
"...she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave"

So, who buried her?
And why didn't she opt to be buried alongside Aragorn and in the city where her children lived?
And why is she, and to a considerable extent Aragorn, so pessimistic/doubtful about meeting again? (Recall their ancestors Beren, Luthien, and the clear evidence for the existence and effectiveness of Eru and the Valar and their concern for the children of Iluvatar (Gandalf and the other Ishtari being sent, etc.).

The only sort of parallels that come to mind are Feanor's mom (Miriel) and Celebrian. But Arwen hadn't suffered physical harm
and presumably hadn't yet (as a "human") reached her natural life span end, as Aragorn had.
=======================
There's some somewhat related speculation on an old thread
"On the death of Arwen".

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:35 AM   #2
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Re: Arwen's death questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
So, who buried her?
Some of the former people of her grandparents perhaps. There were still a few Elves left in Lórien when she died.
Quote:
And why didn't she opt to be buried alongside Aragorn and in the city where her children lived?
Maybe because Cerin Amroth was the place where she and Aragorn once were betrothet? It may also be that she wanted to rest nearer to the place where Galadriel and Celeborn had lived.
Quote:
And why is she, and to a considerable extent Aragorn, so pessimistic/doubtful about meeting again? (Recall their ancestors Beren, Luthien, and the clear evidence for the existence and effectiveness of Eru and the Valar and their concern for the children of Iluvatar (Gandalf and the other Ishtari being sent, etc.).
I don't understand this myself. Arwen has chosen to be like a mortal woman and to share the fate of Men. It is her father and her Elven kin she will never meet again, but presumable she and Aragorn will be reunited somewhere, sometime, after death.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:28 AM   #3
olsonm
Elf Lord

Re: Arwen's death questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
And why is she, and to a considerable extent Aragorn, so pessimistic/doubtful about meeting again?
Aragorn isn't pessimistic. But no one knows what happens to Men after death. It is a mystery.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:32 AM   #4
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Men have more certainty than elves. They have been promises that they spirits will continue to exist in another place. Elves have not been told that theirs spirits will continue after the end of Arda.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:47 AM   #5
Beor
founder of the color blue

But if she became mortal, would not her spirit go with the fate of men's spirits? Or did she not become mortal? Did Luthien become mortal? Her and Beren were never seen again, I assume in Arda at all, so why should Arwen be any different. Now whether her and Aragorn met in the spirit world, who knows, but I would assume she was counted among the children of men once she made that choice. Huzzah.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:01 PM   #6
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Beor
But if she became mortal, would not her spirit go with the fate of men's spirits? Or did she not become mortal? Did Luthien become mortal? Her and Beren were never seen again, I assume in Arda at all, so why should Arwen be any different. Now whether her and Aragorn met in the spirit world, who knows, but I would assume she was counted among the children of men once she made that choice. Huzzah.
I agree with you Beor, there is no reason that the case of Arwen should be different than that of Luthien.. Both Arwen and Luthien chose mortality to share the spiritual afterlife with their respective husbands.

Edit: Ooops Beor, I called you Beren! Well, you may take it as an honour.

Last edited by Artanis : 06-02-2004 at 02:03 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 02:38 PM   #7
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I agree with Beor, and Artanis. Arwen said: "Though maybe my doom will be not unlike hers [Luthien's]" - I think she saw it in the future, but she wasn't sure herself if it's true.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 05:04 AM   #8
olsonm
Elf Lord

Arwen has the same doubts as the Numenoreans. What happens to Men after death is a matter of belief not fact. Aragorn has faith, Arwen is troubled.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:37 PM   #9
Beor
founder of the color blue

Quote:
Origionally posted by Artanis
Edit: Ooops Beor, I called you Beren! Well, you may take it as an honour.
Ah, that little upstart! My descendants continually disappoint me! At least he had the descency to live away from everyone when he came back! Ungrateful little whelp! (Note: this is not my opinion, nor should it be accepted as Beor the Old's opinion. It is merely a suggestion of an attempt at humor from the standpoint of Beor, being the ancestor of Beren. "Daddy never loved me", Beor said.) (<hopefully)

Also, I really dont mind, Artanis. You can call me pretty much anything you want as long as its not "[edited]" or "[edited]"

Last edited by Beor : 06-03-2004 at 02:39 PM.
Beor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 02:44 PM   #10
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
I agree with Beor, and Artanis. Arwen said: "Though maybe my doom will be not unlike hers [Luthien's]" - I think she saw it in the future, but she wasn't sure herself if it's true.
I always had the impression she was admitting that she was quite smitten by the young man with whom she was speaking.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 04:25 PM   #11
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
I always had the impression she was admitting that she was quite smitten by the young man with whom she was speaking.
You mean she liked him, and wanted him to think that he has a chance with her although she's an elf?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 04:46 PM   #12
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Yes - that's what I think.

EDIT: otherwise, I don't see why she would have said that part to him at that time.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 06-03-2004 at 04:55 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:36 PM   #13
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonm
Arwen has the same doubts as the Numenoreans. What happens to Men after death is a matter of belief not fact. Aragorn has faith, Arwen is troubled.
Yeah, I think there may have been a seeming fairytale feeling for Arwen while Aragorn was living, but his choice to lay down his life broke arwen's heart and her will to live, even while their children lived and Eldarion ruled.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:35 PM   #14
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
I agree with you guys too, however there must be some reason that they were pessimistic about it. They were both very knowledgeable people, they must have had a good reason. I think Olsonm is on to something.

Nice bump Snowdog. But why do you say Aragorn laid down his life? Wasn't he over 200 when he died? I thought that was the end of his natural lifespan.

When Aragorn died, maybe Arwen went to Lorien in mourning, and died of grief there. Then the Elves buried her where they had been betrothred, possibly a last request.

If that hadn't happened, I imagine that she would have died in Minis Tirith, and her children would have buried her next to Aragorn.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:46 PM   #15
CerinAmroth
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor of Gondolin
In appendix a
"...she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave"

The only sort of parallels that come to mind are Feanor's mom (Miriel) and Celebrian. But Arwen hadn't suffered physical harm
and presumably hadn't yet (as a "human") reached her natural life span end, as Aragorn had.
=======================
There's some somewhat related speculation on an old thread
"On the death of Arwen".
Here's my theory...

When Eru first gave death to men it was called the "gift" of man, but as time passed (especially during the time of Numenor), it became known as a curse, and people began to fear death more and more. That's why people are scared to die. It was originally supposed to be a good thing, but, once again, power corrupts. Arwen doesn't really understand that death for humans in Middle Earth is a good thing, like going home. She sees it as ultimately depressing, the end of everything. Elves tend toward melancholy, and they see everything as ending. It makes things beautiful, but also horribly sad.

Aragorn, on the other hand, remembers Eru's promise, that death was a gift. "We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." I think its just along the lines that death is a special gift for men, and Aragorn gets that. Arwen is an Elf, and she sees a mortal life as doomed to sadness, because everything fades away.
CerinAmroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:51 AM   #16
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

I admit I hate Arwen, so bear that in mind when you read further.

But really, the girl lived for about 3000 years. And now she is granted the way out the circles of the world, denied to elves. So she had the cream of both kindred's fates. And she could be with her 'beloved" Aragorn. And still the girl wines and cries! REALLY Aragorn would have been better off with Eowyn!
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:55 PM   #17
CerinAmroth
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
I admit I hate Arwen, so bear that in mind when you read further.

But really, the girl lived for about 3000 years. And now she is granted the way out the circles of the world, denied to elves. So she had the cream of both kindred's fates. And she could be with her 'beloved" Aragorn. And still the girl wines and cries! REALLY Aragorn would have been better off with Eowyn!
Heehee, true. But I don't think she really understands that she gets the best of both worlds. Leaving the circles of the world isn't something that Elves do, so its bound to be looked upon with some fear.
CerinAmroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:54 AM   #18
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerinAmroth
Heehee, true. But I don't think she really understands that she gets the best of both worlds. Leaving the circles of the world isn't something that Elves do, so its bound to be looked upon with some fear.
That's why I think she was a stupid old FOOL!
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:22 PM   #19
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

I distinctively remembering that LOTR stated that there were no longer any elves in lorin. My impression of her burial is that, after laying down and dyed, she was gradually covered up by leaves, plant debris and other detritus.

She was alone there. I don't think she stayed there alive very long.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:22 PM   #20
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

+1

Somehow, in ME, natural world "knows" the nature of the corpses it receives. Where orcs are buried, often nothing grows for millenia or more. The opposite is true for elves and good men.
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote