Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-12-2002, 07:52 PM   #1
Arwen't we there yet?
Sapling

Entwives?

I saw the posting about dwarf-women.
It made me wonder if the Ents ever found their Entwives,...
Arwen't we there yet? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 09:50 PM   #2
Aragorn
Elven Warrior

Yeah, I wish that Tolkien told more about the Entwives. I was expecting the Ents to find them throughout the series since I first heard of them in TTT and I was sad when they never did. Oh well, Tolkien couldn't have been COMPLETELY perfect.

And they carried them to the flatlands
But they died along the way
And they built up with their bare hands
What we still can't do today.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO till the day I die.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 11:05 AM   #3
sbpollo1
Sapling

Unfortunately, I think as the Age changed and the Elves left, the chance decreased. I think this is one of the sadder themes of all.
sbpollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 01:47 PM   #4
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

No, it doesn't look like the Ents ever found the Entwives. That is a really sad portion of the tales. I seem to recall that the Entwives may have wandered far, far, far to the East of the Middle-Earth included in the tales. Who knows, maybe the Ents who had not ended up being "treeish" ventured East and "passed out of song".

By the way, Arwen't and sbpollo1, welcome to the Moot! Happy posting!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 03:30 PM   #5
UnStashable
Enting

I rember in a previos post in this forum someone suggesting that the Olog-hai were the entwives, corrupted and ruined by Sauron. I think they pointed out that the Olog-Hai appeard pretty much right after the entwives lands were desolated and dissapeared. I'd like to give credit to some1 but i can't rember who said it.

__________________________________________________ _
(personal Question) is there anyway for me to change my signature, thank you.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:58 PM   #6
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

No, I don't think the Ents and Entwives ever found each other. I'd rather not believe that the Entwives were corrupted by Sauron though . . . doesn't seem right at all. Sauron destroys things, Entwives raise things and help them grow. It's incompatible. But who knows? It's the curse of Tolkien, all the most beautiful and magical things fade away. Ents, Elves, Hobbits, and Dwarves all leave or hide, leaving us poor men (and women) all alone.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 04:01 PM   #7
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Actually, it was Morgoth who corrupted and tortured the Elves to breed the Orcs, and the same was done to Ents to create the Trolls. He didn't need to do this to Men, since so many were already willing and able to serve his purposes....the Dwarves were incorruptible.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:59 AM   #8
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

i wonder how they reproduced, even though there were male and female ents.

Do they have bees to help them out or do the ents wait for a windy day or something or is it how we fauna folk do it?

Any ideas?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 03:12 AM   #9
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

"the Dwarves were incorruptible."

Probably for the most part, but there is one reference to wicked Dwarves allied with Goblins in The Hobbit. Tolkien said in an essay called Dwarves and Men that many of the Dwarven tribe living in the farthest East (the Blacklocks and Stonefoots) fell under the Shadow. Maybe these are the wicked Dwarves referred to in The Hobbit.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:03 AM   #10
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Actually, I should have been more clear: The Dwarves were not tortured and made into some subspecies. Of course some Dwarves were courruptible, AND corrupted; poor wording on my part.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:04 PM   #11
Lightice
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Inoldonil
"the Dwarves were incorruptible."

Probably for the most part, but there is one reference to wicked Dwarves allied with Goblins in The Hobbit. Tolkien said in an essay called Dwarves and Men that many of the Dwarven tribe living in the farthest East (the Blacklocks and Stonefoots) fell under the Shadow. Maybe these are the wicked Dwarves referred to in The Hobbit.
That was a belief of humans, becouse they always wanted to have stuff dwarf made. That's propagand of men, as stated in appendix of LotR. No dwarfs have been under complete power of evil. They were uncorruptible. Only thing Rings of Might did to them, was lust of gold. Ofcourse they could do bad things, but they did them of their own whim. I very much doubt, that dwarves would had actually been allied to goblins in any place, though I do remember that part of Hobbit.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote