Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-22-2003, 01:08 PM   #1
TopazJedi
Elven Warrior

News of the Entwives?

I was just reading through my Tolkien Compass when i read about a referance to ents made by Sam. So i went back and read it, and it said "But what about these Tree-men, these giants, as you might call them? They do say that one bigger than a tree was seen up away beyond North Moors not long back" Then I had an epiphany! Maybe they were the Entwives! As Treebeard said, the entwives would have liked the Shire. Am i just late on the uptake, has this been discussed before?
Old 09-22-2003, 01:32 PM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Yeah. There are some other threads around that discuss the Entwives. It's been awhile though, so I'll leave this one open.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 02:04 PM   #3
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Well not to be a cold water tosser, but they did say "tree-men." I think the Entwives were destroyed with their gardens, which Sauron destroyed, in the Second Age, I think. Wouldn't the Rangers and Wood-Elves like Gildor Inglorion have known if Ents had existed on the North Moors or its environs?
Old 09-22-2003, 08:44 PM   #4
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Hmmm... bigger than a tree. I guess that could make sense if I want it to. But I've always pictured the entwives as looking like small trees, not big. I thought they could be mistaken for dogwood, or maybe willow if they style their hair nicely.?

But that's just me, not Tolkien. You might be right TJ.

sarcasm-> Glad to help clear it up.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:15 PM   #5
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
Wouldn't the Rangers and Wood-Elves like Gildor Inglorion have known if Ents had existed on the North Moors or its environs?
No, I don't think so. When Gandalf mentions them, Aragorn says he thought they were only a legend, which tells me that while there obviously were ents there, they were "tree-like" enough that they weren't noticed (except by those few very lucky and observant hobbits!). Certainly it was an ent, which would absolutely look like a giant to a hobbit! A "Tree-man" would be an apt description of an ent by a hobbit, no? But an entwife -- there's no telling. I'd like to think yes, and it is possible (do you really think a surprised hobbit would be able to tell if it were male or female?), but I have a feeling that they were already gone.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:20 PM   #6
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Tolkien's Letters #144
I think that in fact the Entwives had disappeared for good, being destroyed with their gardens in the War of the Last Alliance (Second Age 3429-3441) when Sauron pursued a scorched earth policy and burned their land against the advance of the Allies down the Anduin. They survived only in the 'agriculture' transmitted to Men (and Hobbits). Some, of course, may have fled east, or even have become enslaved: tyrants even in such tales must have an economic and agricultural background to their soldiers and metal-workers. If any survived so, they would indeed be far estranged from the Ents, and any rapprochement would be difficult -- unless experience of industrialised and militarised agriculture had made them a little more anarchic. I hope so. I don't know.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 11:57 AM   #7
Alqualaure
Enting

Arwen Undomiel

Hmm... I've had the same thought, Topaz!

I haven't read Tolkien's Letters myself, and I've always liked to imagine that the Ent spotted beyond the North Moors was indeed an Entwife. I agree with Azalea that likely a hobbit would be so surprised to see "a tree walking" that they'd not notice the gender... I know I certainly wouldn't myself!

Would an Entwife appear "feminine" to those unfamiliar with the species? After all, it is difficult for outsiders to notice female dwarves... why not Ents as well?

Alqualaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 02:31 PM   #8
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Theoden

It has always been my impression that the Entwives were much smaller than the Ents, resembling bushes or fruit-trees. But, this is mere speculation.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:24 PM   #9
Alqualaure
Enting

Arwen Undomiel

Quote:
It has always been my impression that the Entwives were much smaller than the Ents, resembling bushes or fruit-trees. But, this is mere speculation.
Attalus - what lead you to this idea? (Just curious!) I mean, was it a passage you read, or just your own idea?

I'd not thought much about it before - the appearance of the Entwives... I just assumed they'd be quite similar to the Ents. But this is a very interesting idea! I like it!

Still, a hobbit would be quite astounded at the sight of what they'd think of as a "tree walking", right? (I'd certainly be struck speechless if any of my crepe myrtles decided to take a stroll one evening... ROFL!)

On a nearly completely unrelated note, I've got to add that this thread has made me think of "the Knight Bus" of the Harry Potter books - houses, trees, and post boxes hopping out of the way of the nearly blind and very bad bus driver - can't say I blame them! Anyone else have this same wacky thought?!?

Alqua
Alqualaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 07:34 AM   #10
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

I think hobbits have a talent of exaggerating a tale, if only for attention with some pals at a pub. Hey, that's just me though. ^^

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 03:21 PM   #11
Brimstone
Sapling

I don't now much, but I think if the Entwives went to the Shire that the Elves of Rivindell would have seen them. I heard that some of the Entwives might have been captured by Sauron and by unknown processes turned into trolls that in the ROTK could withstand the sunlight. I've thought that some of the Entwives would have fled to the south and lived there.
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 08:06 AM   #12
Bridgette
Enting

Arwen Undomiel

I'd like to think that the entwives went to the Shire and the area's around it. If they had, maybe the skirted Rivendell or something. And maybe they then grew tree-ish so the appeared to be normal trees (and maybe they where roused by the news of Sauron coming again?). I'm not really sure. Since Tolkien never stated where the entwives went (if any had indeed survived), I could just continue to make assumptions. I don't know.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:39 PM   #13
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Alqualaure
I'd not thought much about it before - the appearance of the Entwives... I just assumed they'd be quite similar to the Ents. But this is a very interesting idea! I like it!

Quote:
For the Entwives were bent and browned by their labour; their hair parched by the sun to the hue of ripe corn and their cheeks like red apples. Yet their eyes were still the eyes of our own people. (Treebeard: TTT)
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 06:04 PM   #14
Anadriewen
Enting

I think that when Sam said that he heard that someone saw a "tree man " it could'v been an Entwife. Hobbits haven't heard of ents or entwifes before so how are they supposed to no the difference between an ent or an entwife. Merry and Pippin didn't know what ents were when they met Treebeard, so how would any other hobbit no what an ent is? So I don't know for sure but i think that it migh'tv been an entife in the forest.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:36 AM   #15
The Dunedain
Hobbit

This may have been said already, but I have 2 thoughts.

1) In The Old Forest, the trees are "alive" it is possible that the Entwives, in their obbsession to settle down, became tree like and that is why they are gone. Or perhaps they are the old forest.

2) If an elf saw an ent, knowing them, they would keep it too themselves (assuming that the ents and elves are on speaking terms, I think Treebeard said they wern't). If a Ranger saw an ent, even he (like Aaragorn, cheif of the Rangers/ Dunedain) wouldn't know what it was.
The Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 11:38 AM   #16
The Dunedain
Hobbit

Treebeard

Also, I think Tolkei would like to keep the fate of the entwives a mystery because it adds to the sadness of the ents.
The Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 09:40 PM   #17
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Entwives... can't live with 'em...

I wondered previously about Sam's report of "Tree-men" were possibly entwives but I now think they were just the ents themselves wandering about ME. There is no reason they would always be confined to Fangorn. Maybe it was just a preview of things to come or a vehicle to show Sam's interest in the exotic and, as would follow, his added motivation for being in the fellowship.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 10:38 AM   #18
entss89
lord of the ents

Quote:
Originally posted by The Dunedain
Also, I think Tolkei would like to keep the fate of the entwives a mystery because it adds to the sadness of the ents.
yes and its a lot more fun to run with our imagination.

im a little hobbit short and stout
here is my ring evil without a doubt
when you get me hipped up
here me shout
get me to mordo as quick as you can..

if you like that song then you should visit www.lordoftherings.net!

the ents are coming
the ents are coming
watch out tower of orthanc
for your dark walls shall fall!
sauroman, sauroman
your name is not the white!
for now you are
sauroman of many colors!

a best frind does not stab u in the back...................
they stab u in the front.
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 09:59 PM   #19
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I had always taken this sighting of a "tree-man" in the shire as an Ent out looking for traces of the entwives. I don't have any passage to back up my assertion, that's just what my mind conjured up from that bit.

I've always thought, again without any real back-up from the texts, that some of the entwives had been captured by Sauron's minions and subjected to cruel and unspeakable cross-breeding which resulted in the Olog-Hai.

[An aside: Isn't it fascinating, the concept of the East beyond Mordor and Rhun?]
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 12:41 AM   #20
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
Well not to be a cold water tosser, but they did say "tree-men." I think the Entwives were destroyed with their gardens, which Sauron destroyed, in the Second Age, I think. Wouldn't the Rangers and Wood-Elves like Gildor Inglorion have known if Ents had existed on the North Moors or its environs?
I don't think the "tree-men" part is that important. If you fleetingly saw a moving tree in the forest, would you be able to tell its gender, especially if you have never seen an Ent or an Entwife before?

I think it's possible, though unlikely, that some of the Entwives survived.

If this is true, the obvious question is why wouldn't they go back to Fangorn, even if it was just to stop by and say "Hey guys, were not all dead."

Bropus: I think your idea is more likely. And I am also fascinated by parts of Middle-earth that weren't explored in the books.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote