Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-30-2003, 07:09 PM   #21
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Ent draught was not made of plants or animals. It was made from the waters of the entwash, distilled in a certain way. It was likely very high in minerals.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:23 PM   #22
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Ent draught was not made of plants or animals. It was made from the waters of the entwash, distilled in a certain way. It was likely very high in minerals.
Sounds disgusting.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 07:25 PM   #23
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Probably a killer hangover cure tho'

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:48 PM   #24
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirinki54
What about Ents? Apparently they only drank "Ent draught" and since it is not described as broth or soup, it was probably made from plants.
Okay, I guess the Ents would be considered Vegetarians from a certain point of view...but they are kelvar and what they ate was kelvar as well so it might be considered something different
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:28 PM   #25
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Always good to see you here Kirinki.

Interesting. Yes, Ent draught must be like V8 juice huh?
Hi SGH! I see you are busy at this place...
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:31 PM   #26
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirinki54
Hi SGH! I see you are busy at this place...
Very.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-22-2003, 05:27 PM   #27
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Sween, that's gross, but in UT, Tuor considered that until Voronwe threatened to leave him. I always found that amuzing.
In that story, "Of Tuor And His Coming To Gondolin", I interpreted Vornwe's threat to leave Tuor due to Tuor's revealing themselves to the Orcs.

"'Nay!' said Voronwe. 'On this quest only the cloak (that keeps them shrowded in mist and unseen) will serve. You must forgo the fire, or else forgo Turgon. this band is not alone in the wild: cannot your mortal sight see the far flame of other posts to the north and to the south? A tumult will bring a host upon us. Harken to me, Tuor! It is against the law of the Hidden Kingdom that any should approach the gates with foes at their heels; and that law I will not break, neither for Ulmo's bidding, nor for death. Rouse the Orcs, and I leave you.'" UT
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 09:20 PM   #28
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Yeah, but he wanted to eat them.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-23-2003, 02:30 AM   #29
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, but he wanted to eat them.
That is true. But Voronwe wasn't going to leave him because of Tuor wanting to eat the Orcs (which I also find disgusting, hunger or no hunger), Voronwe was going to leave Tuor because he wanted to go home but wouldn't be able to approach Gondolin if they were being chased by Orcs. Its their law not to come home with an enemy at their heels. Which makes sense. If you've got a secret city with a secret entrance, you sure don't want the enemy to find it. And surely, they would have found the entrance if they were pursuing Voronwe and Tuor to Gondolin. No matter how many gates you have put up.

But I would have to assume that Elves do not eat Orcs. And having been a vegetarian myself for 4.5 yrs (but no longer, and currently only eating meat on average, once a week) that I would think that some Elves were probably vegetarians also. But not all as a rule. I could definitely see the Noldor taking down a deer or two. Or perhaps, Elves preferred a vegetarian lifestyle, but ate meat on occasion as necessity.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:52 AM   #30
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Yeah, I think I said earlier that I easily imagine the Noldor being meat eaters.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-23-2003, 11:20 AM   #31
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I think I said earlier that I easily imagine the Noldor being meat eaters.
Yes, you did. I'm in total agreement with you on that.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:24 AM   #32
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Yes, you did. I'm in total agreement with you on that.
Remember when Finrod met Men? Right before that it says that he went hunting with Maglor and Meadhros, but wearied of the chase. What do you suppose they were hunting?

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-23-2003, 12:19 PM   #33
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Orcs, perhaps? Though that was in the middle of the Siege of Angband, so that is doubtful. It seems Eastern Beleriand was quite a good hunting ground for animals, as the land of Amras, son of Feanor, just below Estolad was quite a popular hunting ground, especially with Finrod. The man sure liked his hunting.

Or maybe he just liked the sons of Feanor, after all he was the wisest of the Noldor in M-E...
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 02:14 PM   #34
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Inderjit Sanghera
Orcs, perhaps? Though that was in the middle of the Siege of Angband, so that is doubtful. It seems Eastern Beleriand was quite a good hunting ground for animals, as the land of Amras, son of Feanor, just below Estolad was quite a popular hunting ground, especially with Finrod. The man sure liked his hunting.

Or maybe he just liked the sons of Feanor, after all he was the wisest of the Noldor in M-E...
There are many references to hunting in the Sil by Elves, mainly the Elves you and Sister Golden Hair mentioned. The referrences seem to be more of a "male-bonding" kind of referrence where they're hunting animals.
In places in the book where Orcs are mentioned there seems to be a set up to the scene, where your mind conjures up dark images and dread. I don't get that feeling when I read the passages about the guys off hunting.