Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #101
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I Know What I Write, Friends

I may not be very politically correct, in fact I pride myself in being politically Incorrect.

Earniel, I have no idea whatsoever HOW it was done, or by WHOM it was done, but it WAS done.

I doubt not for a moment that this occurred, as the postings I have found altered in no way reflect any of my own biases, opinions, or positions.

It happened to Lotesse, and it happened to me. I posted my offense at being edited against my wishes and without my knowledge to alert others that this could happen to them as well.

I always wrote, on Entmoot, what I thought. I took the bricks and arrows in stride, and yet stood by my opinions. The very little bit that I saw of "Gods and Monsters" absolutely SICKENED me, and I would have never said that Ian MacKellan deserved an oscar for that performance. I never said it. NEVER SAID IT, Earniel, NEVER SAID IT. Capiche?

Some gutless wonder who could not stand that opinions counter to their own were allowed to remain on the Entmoot altered my posts. I am making that accusation, and I am standing by it. Now that Lotesse has stated that this happened also, I have corroboration that someone with mod or admin clearance, at some point, altered my posts. I have not had time (nor, necessarily, the inclination) to go back into the archives and review each and every post to find which ones have been altered, but the fact that I and Lotesse have been edited against our wishes reinforces my earlier contention: Something is rotten in the Entmoot, or WAS rotten in the Entmoot. I would bet my keyboard it wasn't you, or Ben, or any other of the good folks I came to know here. More likely it was someone acting in the hiatus I took from the Entmoot follwing the release of Return of the King. Hence my only recent objection to this farce. Had I not been Googling some other writings, I'd never have even been aware of this alteration of my original statements.

It is a breach of the trust I put in Ben and his brothers, and although I bear them no grudge in this matter whatsoever (nor to you, nor Nolendil, nor any of the other good folks who have been mods or admins), I do take great exception to the changing of my original statements.

Rian, good to see you as well, and for all other Mooters aside from myself and Lotesse, I hope that none of your own postings have been altered. Even though the discussions got heated here from time to time, I'd never, and HAVE never, asked for someone's posts, no matter how much I disagreed with it, be removed or altered. This is dirty cricket, Earniel, no matter how the limburger is sliced, it is still stinky cheese and I do not appreciate my own opinions altered to reflect a view I would have originally posted the statements to counter.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:29 PM   #102
azalea
Long lost mooter

I looked at the admin board and couldn't find a way to review post edits. If this is something that any users wish to have looked into further, let's take the discussion to the Tech Feedback forum. Sadly, I am not very tech-savvy, so can't be of much use.

Thanks, and hope we can get it cleared up.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:54 PM   #103
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

No prob, azalea, the fact that folks are aware of this issue is enough. Too bad someone couldn't let opinons counter to their own be left unaltered.

I have a feeling that whomever was involved is long gone by now. Glad to see the Entmoot still thriving!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:48 PM   #104
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
No, sorry, to my knowledge an edit is still always visible, unless it is editted immediatly after the post was posted. But I'll check with the rest of the mod team to be sure. If you know of posts that were clearly editted without that edit-line, feel free to PM me with the location, and I will adjust my statement.
I thought mods edits showed up, but admins could hide them.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:14 AM   #105
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I thought mods edits showed up, but admins could hide them.
A - HA!!! You see that? I bet you're right, Gwai. The plot thickens, oh, how it thickens...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:43 AM   #106
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

*sighs* If you had read further you would have found my next post that said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
After checking, I can say that on the Entmoot, neither mods or supermods can edit posts without leaving an edit-tag. Admins can, however (which I didn't know before, and on that I stand corrected).
Old 05-14-2007, 01:17 AM   #107
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

I saw "Gods And Monsters"

I can't say I liked it particularly. The most interesting parts to me were the insights into the creation of the Frankenstein movies.

Ian Mckellen played the role extremey well, whether or not I liked the character, he did a good job.