Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-05-2002, 02:28 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Should government have a say in what parents name their children?

This I thought was weird. A couple wants to name their child Osama bin Ladin - but Germany has refused to allow them to name their child that.

Quote:
Couple try to name baby bin Laden

BERLIN, Germany -- A Turkish couple living in Germany who want to call their child Osama bin Laden have been refused permission by German officials but are to appeal to a judge.

Names can only be registered in Germany if they fulfil certain criteria. A name must clearly identify the child's gender and must not ridicule the child or be offensive.

"Hitler" is banned as a name for that reason.

Registrations officials in Cologne, where the young couple live, rejected the name because it would not be allowed in Turkey, a spokeswoman for the magistrates court now dealing with the case said on Thursday.

"Another reason was the obvious association of the name with the terror attacks of September 11," she said.

The German rules on babies' names also say that non-German parents must give their children names that are acceptable in their home country.

However, registration officials do not have the power to ban the couple from using the name of the al Qaeda leader for their child and the case has been referred to a judge.

The parents, both under 30, have been asked to make a statement to the judge, the spokeswoman said.

She declined to comment on whether the couple had other children and what their names were.

The United States blames al Qaeda and its leader, Saudi-born bin Laden, for the September 11 attacks.
I think the government should NOT have any say in what a couple names their children. Granted some parents do pick ridiculous names - some people in the US have named their children numbers. I'm really surprised at how much freedom people are willing to give up. Although I personally disagree with the couple naming their child Bin Ladin, but I also feel they have a right to choose that name.

I was also surprised by the side poll on CNN.com. 76% felt the name was offensive and only 24% felt it was the parents choice.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 09-05-2002 at 02:31 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 02:43 PM   #2
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I don't think that anyone should have a say in what parents name their children.

Additionally, I think that if a child (regardless of age) wants to change his/her name, he/she should be able to do so. As many times as is desired.

My imaginary son's name is Ancalagon the Black.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 02:55 PM   #3
Nibs
Head Hollara

Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril
I don't think that anyone should have a say in what parents name their children.

Additionally, I think that if a child (regardless of age) wants to change his/her name, he/she should be able to do so. As many times as is desired.
That sounds good to me.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 03:14 PM   #4
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Yes and no. On one side I think that the goverment has little to do what how children are named. But on the other side I think there should be some protection so a child isn't stuck with a ludicrous name. The trouble is to define the line.

I don't think that children regardless of their age should be able to change their names when and as many times that they want to.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:29 PM   #5
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Earniel:
I don't think that children regardless of their age should be able to change their names when and as many times that they want to.
Why not?
Old 09-05-2002, 06:11 PM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Do they have a deathwish for their child or something?! God, I can just see a "misfortunate accident" happening....
Old 09-05-2002, 06:12 PM   #7
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
People anming their kids numbers? That's scary...almost Ayn Rand "Anthem" scary.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:20 PM   #8
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Can anyone say "Moon Unit Zappa"?

And btw, why do I only have 995 posts all of a sudden?
Old 09-05-2002, 06:23 PM   #9
entss89
lord of the ents

HI

I DONT BELIEVE THAT THE GOVERMENT SHOULD HAVE A SAY SO IN NAMING CHILDREN BECAUSE NAMING YOUR CHILD IS A PRECIOUS THING BETWEEN THE PARENTS AND THE CHILD.
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 06:26 PM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Unfortunately it is not that simple, because the child's name isn't just between the parents and the child... it is also between the community within which the family moves through. The simple reason? Children can be so cruel to someone who is different. Not that I want to encourage conformity or anything, by any means. But there is a *huge* amount of (justified) anger towards that particular namesake, that I can see someone doing something nasty to the poor kid.

Anduril, your post count has gone down because Ben has probably deleted some old threads.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 09-05-2002 at 06:27 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 06:31 PM   #11
entss89
lord of the ents

OH

oh , well i wish it was simple dont you? beccause i would hate having a name the goverment named for me.
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 06:33 PM   #12
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

The parents may name their child whatever the hello they want. If the child doesn't like it later, there's always room to have it changed.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 06:40 PM   #13
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Rána Eressëa
The parents may name their child whatever the hello they want. If the child doesn't like it later, there's always room to have it changed.
Or at the very least curse their parents for the rest of their life.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 09-05-2002, 06:52 PM   #14
Masderanoe
Enting

I think the government should ban names that are copies of the countries enemies other than that i don't think so, who would want to name there child osoma bin ladin anyway their child would hate them forever and it puts them and their child in serious danger.

Smiley people are happy when they make smileys.
Masderanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 11:16 PM   #15
Duddun
I Antha

Knowone should have any say in what the parents name their child if the child doesn't like it he should be able to change it to whatever he wants it to be. Although i think naming your child Osama bin Laden is a bad idea.
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 01:51 AM   #16
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Duddun
Although i think naming your child Osama bin Laden is a bad idea.
Obviously the couple is Osama bin Ladin supporters. Why else would someone name their child that - except maybe as a sick joke. They probably view it as no different than someone in America wanting to name their child after their favorite sports star. I think it's sick that they would want to name their child after someone that killed 3,000+ people (not including all the other terrorist attacks over the years). However, I'm sure there are peope in America that have named their child Charles Manson or something similar too. The US has no rules regarding names- and I feel we shouldn't tell people what they should name their children - however sick and twisted we may think of their choice.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 09-06-2002 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-06-2002, 04:57 AM   #17
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril
Why not?
Because kids can come up with more weird names than any parent in my opinion. By making them able to choose whenever they want and how many times they want, they can change their name any month of the year. Can you imagine: Kidnames like Peter Pan, Pikashu, Digimon will come up whenever it's fashion. You try and keep track of how to call your kid to dinner if you can't remember how he should be called this week. "Was it Pikashu? Oh no, that was last week......."

Above that it's a death blow to any administration. Every organisation or school will perpetually have to update their databanks.

Last edited by Earniel : 09-06-2002 at 04:58 AM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 05:44 AM   #18
Draken
Elf Lord

I'd heard that about Germany - I'm not sure how the system works, would be interested if anyone knows more. I wonder what other names are banned? Maybe the law was brought in after the war to stop a crop of little Adolf's coming along as a defiant gesture from ex-party members? Just a guess.

But anyway, I disagree with a government having that sort of control. There's a limit beyond which governments can't stop people being stupid if they want to be, and this is past that limit.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 07:17 AM   #19
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Earniel:
Because kids can come up with more weird names than any parent in my opinion.
What's wrong with weird? So what if some lttle girl wants to name herself Superman or Wonderwoman...
Quote:
More:
By making them able to choose whenever they want and how many times they want, they can change their name any month of the year.
The name change process, of course, should take more time and effort than just running to a counter, changing it, and that's it. And perhaps a one month minimum name possession term would be required for all changes. That way, the kid would think a little before he/she changes it. Or, if they don't think about it, it will be a good 28/29/30/31 day lesson (curriculum=don't name yourself "Kikmeen Tha'ass."
Old 09-06-2002, 10:39 AM   #20
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Calling your kid Osama bin Laden is cruel in itself. When that kid grows up to be of school age and if the government lets the parents name him Osama he's gonna be teased, shunned, hated, maybe even beaten up to the extent of death. I dont even want to think what would happen if they moved to the US.
Gotta go,
Sam
in conclusion if the government dont step in on this they could have a terrorist on their hands. more later
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote