Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-16-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

The Hobbit Animated Movie

I watched it again the other day and really enjoyed it. Even the songs did not bug me like they usually do. Opinions about this animated feature?
Old 03-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Nice movie, allthough the elf king has erned the nickname "Too-much american football without a helmet Theranduril" here on the moot.

Of chorse I likely misspelled that...

They did it well, the drawings are a little "funky" though, like Smog has fur and T.M.A.F.W.H. Theranduril...
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I loved it!

When I was a kid way back in the seventies, it was the only tolkien on the screen, and I looked forward to it every time I'd see that it was coming up on the television.

It has a lot of charm to it and was really done quite tastefully for the time.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

The woodelves are ugly as all get-out (totally un-Tolkienesque) but we like everything else about it I need to find myself a copy.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I love -everything- about that movie. I grew up with it as one of my favorite movies ever, and even now I still love it. I went through a period of a few years when I thought it was too silly, didn't seem like 'Tolkien', and hated several parts of it, but now I just love it again.

I don't view it as being a perfect recreation of Tolkien's work, but I think that based on 'capturing the magic' of the Hobbit, it's kickass .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Like Tessar, I grew up with it, and I love it. However, I'm pretty sure that the only reason I love it is that I grew up with it.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
Hob Hayward
Sapling

I fondly remember the movie poster in my grammar school library: Bilbo puffing his pipe outside the doorway of Bag End.

The movie holds a dear place since it came about around the time I was discovering The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
Hob Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #8
Black Numenorean
Hobbit

Sam Gamgee

When I was in fifth grade we watched it, and it is a lot better than the animated version of LOTR.

I agree, the drawings were a little weird (especially the elf king), but it did follow the original storyline well. Seeing it now makes it feel outdated, but it will always be a classic in my eyes.

Although the battle of five armies was a little messed up, especially when the elves showed up, because they look nothing like how I pictured them.

Last edited by Black Numenorean : 10-11-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Black Numenorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:52 PM   #9
Star
Hobbit

I don't like the animated movie. sorry, but i think that the real one is so much better! It shows me what the characters really look like. I used to always watch cartoons and got chrushes on animated guys, but when they did the real movie, it got me confused on which is which!
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star View Post
I don't like the animated movie. sorry, but i think that the real one is so much better! It shows me what the characters really look like. I used to always watch cartoons and got chrushes on animated guys, but when they did the real movie, it got me confused on which is which!
Um, the real one hasn't been made yet.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Star is probably referring to the animated LotR, a film with animation which, while as tramuatically bad, is still hideous and laughably inaccurate.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #12
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Numenorean
Although the battle of five armies was a little messed up, especially when the elves showed up, because they look nothing like how I pictured them.
I agree. The elves kindof looked like Dr. Suess's Grinch and Gollum looked like a mutant frog. The animators obviously didn't read much JRRT, where he goes into detailed descriptions of these creatures.

Like bropous, I was reading the book for the first time when the film came out. I enjoyed it thoroughly but I wished had finished it before I saw the movie.

BTW, if you think the battle and Bilbo's fight with the spiders was animated a little childishly, that was because at the time there was a great hue and cry against violence on television.

Fear Complacency!
Old 02-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #13
Viëllémerwè
Sapling

I really like how Elrond looks in the movie. And the songs are really funny and cozy. I think the Battle of 5 armies part was brought down to dots for the same reason as every other form of violence was covered up in the movie; making it watchable for kids. And yes, the wood-elve interpretation could have been better. Though the Goblins did hit the spot^^
Old 03-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #14
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Wonderful film for kids. For adults, it's ok. I still like it at my age. If I had to pick one Tolkien movie to watch, Rankin & Bass' The Hobbit would be it.
The Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:14 AM   #15
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I hated it. I saw it at a friend's house when I was nine and as a result refused to even consider reading anything by Tolkien until I was twelve and realized that I had read every other decently written fantasy book in our middle school's library but couldn't talk about any of them because everybody else interested in that genre had grown up on LotR.

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 04-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #16
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!" I had that song stuck in my head for weeks when I was a kid.

Yeah, the LotR animated movie is pretty bad. But in contrast, the animated Hobbit is actually pretty good.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I would switch that. LotR was slightly more bearable. It's pantsless men vs. turquoise elf imposters.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 04-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #18
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

The elves sucked, I agree, and the accents were laughable. But it's a kid's story. Problems are more forgivable to me.