Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-03-2001, 04:37 AM   #1
biriwilg

Hobbit Movie

Why don't they make a live-action movie of The Hobbit? I think that would be cool. But, that's just me.
Old 03-03-2001, 05:20 AM   #2
Gilthalion

Re: Hobbit Movie

I think that would be great! I think that I heard somewhere that Peter Jackson is planning to do a prequel to Lord of the Rings.
Old 03-03-2001, 11:19 PM   #3
X Rogue

I think I'd like to see that as well, so long as it's a good job. Still crossing my fingers....
Old 03-06-2001, 12:41 AM   #4
biriwilg

I was talking to my brother about this, and he pointed out that it would be hard to find enough short actors to play the dwarves, as well as one to play Bilbo. They would have to be in every scene. How could they get around this?
Old 03-06-2001, 01:15 AM   #5
Inoldonil

Dwarves and Hobbits

They have the technology to shrink and enlarge actors as they please, or atleast a few people do. That's how they're doing the LOTR Movies. The man playing Gimli is 6'4, and all the actors playing the Hobbits are of normal size. It's really amazing what they can do these days.
Old 03-06-2001, 01:23 AM   #6
biriwilg

Re: Dwarves and Hobbits

REALLY?! That's amazing! I didn't know they could do that! Cool!
Old 03-06-2001, 01:32 AM   #7
Grand Admiral Reese

There's a good chance that a movie of The Hobbit might be made if LotR does well in theaters.
Old 03-12-2001, 05:25 PM   #8
Miralys

I agree with everything said here. A live-action of the Hobbit would be awesome. As for filming, size wouldn't be a problem at all. Remember Willow?
Old 03-14-2001, 03:09 AM   #9
Inoldonil

Do you mean the Nelwyns in that movie, or the brownies? I.e., do you mean they could just use the technology, or little people? I don't they should use little people, Hobbits don't look like that, if you don't mind me saying so. Physically they just look like shorter Men, with furry feat.
Old 03-14-2001, 04:57 AM   #10
Miralys

Well I mean the brownies. If they could do that back then think what they can accomplish now, as some have pointed out.
Old 03-17-2001, 05:13 AM   #11
biriwilg

???
Old 03-20-2001, 02:40 AM   #12
Inoldonil

Biri, in Willow there are normal sized actors playing brownies--creatures something like 6 inchis tall. They're shrinked with special effects. While Willow himself, a Nelwyn, is just a little person and no effects were done to him. So I wondered if he thought Hobbits should be played by little people or shrunk with effects. And than he explained it.
Old 03-20-2001, 02:44 AM   #13
biriwilg

Thanks Inoldonil, I didn't know which movie they were talking about. I do know about brownies though. I know my faery folk!
Old 03-20-2001, 02:47 AM   #14
Inoldonil

You're welcome.
Old 05-30-2001, 04:17 PM   #15
xited

Hey there. Just further to this topic, I heard the vaguest of rumours that PJ is contemplating a make of The Hobbit a few weeks ago. Has anyone heard anything about this elsewhere and could they direct me owards the discussion. This is of particular interest to me as I was invited to audition for Liz Mullane as an elf but unfortunately did not have a portfolio together on time, (Nov. 99).Having seen a few screenshots of Legolas I am more than disappointed that I didn't as we are very similar. (Not suggesting at all that I would be Legolas, this was as an elven extra). Thanks and I will keep this board notified if I find any interesting details.

Regards,
x.
Old 05-30-2001, 08:31 PM   #16
Inoldonil

I haven't heard anything about it. I do know that longer ago (I read it) he was pondering whether to do a King Kong movie after the LOTR.

One can't just make a Hobbit movie though, as one might make Hamlet, he'd have to get a licence from whomever, Saul Zaents I think his name is, of Tolkien Enterprizes.
Old 06-14-2001, 07:30 PM   #17
Samwise of the shire

That'd be cool

(And by the way the Faeries in Willow were NOT Brownies they were pixsies although less mischevious(notice the wings)but I maybe wrong I have'nt seen that movie ever since it scared the pants off of me when I was five.)I would'nt mind a live action film just as long as it's better then the cartoon.The elves were ummmmm kind of unearthly to say the least,I mean Elrond was blueish grey it looked as if he had stayed out in the Moonlight too long,and the Mirkwood elves were GREEN!!!Yikes they looked worse then the spiders.Although I must admit they did their men,Gandalf,dwarves,hobbit and Dragon very well.
Old 06-14-2001, 08:48 PM   #18
Perisil

I must disagree with you there i have seen willow 1000 times and also recently and they were most definatly brownies and not pixies, and i am 99.9% sure they did not have wings plus i remember willow carried them around in his backpack. Anyway i agree thopugh that indeed the elves in Bass's cartoon would terrible, all gnarled like tree roots not at all fair and beautiful but i did enjoy the soundtrack the music was very moving.
Old 06-15-2001, 12:58 AM   #19
Inoldonil

There were Brownies and pixies, one of you forgot about the one and the other forgot about the other, seemingly.
Old 06-17-2001, 01:28 AM   #20
webwizard333

to get back on topic..>
I'd like to see how they could do all the scenes in just one movie, it might be like a two movie boxed set if they want to get everything from the story in the movie (not that they'll put everything in it...) .