Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-31-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
ofthewind
Hobbit

The Queen of The Damned..... anyone??

hi!! i know it's kinda late but i just finished reading "The Queen of the Damned" by Anne Rice.. i'm too confused to form an opinion, would anyone care to share their viewpoint of the movie or the book????
Old 10-31-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I moved the thread since it should actually go in a book forum . I wasn't sure if it was a fantasy book or not, so I just moved it to general litt.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:11 PM   #3
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Been a long, long time since I read it, but I thought it was pretty good. A bit long, and I got tired with all the endless complaining and sensitivity of the characters. Not completely satisfied with the ending (seemed a bit forced), but the backstory was really great.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i loved it!

her first vampire book will always be my favorite, but i think she did pretty good with the next two... lots of complexity and interesting characters, and an amazing mastery of language for expressing moods and visualizations of her world
Old 11-01-2005, 02:20 AM   #5
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

I loved it. It was funny for me, though, since I had read the second one in French (to prepare for taking my first French class in about a year). Half the time I was like... "Oh, so that's the exact translation of Ceux Qu'il Faut Garder."

I haven't been able to get past it yet, though. Lestat is hardly my favourite. That would be Armand (angsty redhead, anyone? ).

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:21 AM   #6
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
I moved the thread since it should actually go in a book forum . I wasn't sure if it was a fantasy book or not, so I just moved it to general litt.

Well it's about Vampires and such so General doesn't seem to fit; it's more Fantasy and Fiction.
but then vampires do exist
Old 11-01-2005, 12:21 PM   #7
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Well it's about Vampires and such so General doesn't seem to fit; it's more Fantasy and Fiction.
but then vampires do exist

Well I had no idea the book was about vampires, and I certainly can't move it now .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:43 PM   #8
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

ahhh, well, grasshopper - next time you may grasp the pebble.

Last edited by Spock : 11-01-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #9
ofthewind
Hobbit

otw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElemmÃ*rë
I loved it. It was funny for me, though, since I had read the second one in French (to prepare for taking my first French class in about a year). Half the time I was like... "Oh, so that's the exact translation of Ceux Qu'il Faut Garder."

I haven't been able to get past it yet, though. Lestat is hardly my favourite. That would be Armand (angsty redhead, anyone? ).
wow! same here... i disliked Lestat from the beginning, he's too self-centered for my taste... Armand seems like such a mystery.... a teen immortal with the wisdom of ages... the idea is fascinating!!
Old 11-01-2005, 02:03 PM   #10
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i honestly liked lestat better in the first book... he was more "real"... all the justifications and rewriting of history on him in the second book went a bit too far... i preferred him with more flaws

armand has his own book later in the series...

after damned is "tale of the body thief" ... one of the worst, imo... it had some good points, and is still masterfully-written, like all her books... but it is much more a simple story without all the colorful history behind it that the others had

next is "memnoch the devil"... a very intriguing book... lestat deals with the devil, heaven, hell, jesus... it's very much a love it or hate it type of book... she really digs deep into biblical justifications, somewhat like milton (though certainly not that classic) and put's an interesting twist on both god and the devil himself... it's a very engaging book and, love it or hate it, it definitely makes you think

the next two are "the vampire armand" and "blood and gold" (marius' story)... i think someone who loves the series will love these books, but neither advance the story all that much, mostly delving into these two character's pov's on their histories hinted at in the earlier books

there's a few more semi-related books, but i haven't read those... other than a few of the mayfair witch books, which are pretty good... but not quite up to the level of the vampire books
Old 11-01-2005, 02:49 PM   #11
ofthewind
Hobbit

otw

gee bj.. i'd no idea so many books were written after The Queen of the Damned... i really didn't like it.. too thick for my taste.. or maybe it's becasue i'd already read christopher pike's The Last Vampire series when i started the novel..

Last edited by ofthewind : 11-01-2005 at 02:55 PM.
ofthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:55 PM   #12
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I've only read Interview with the Vampire, borrowing it from a friend. I enjoyed it and plan on reading the others. I think the Vampire Lastat is next, right?

I'm asuming this is now an Anne Rice thread.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #13
ofthewind
Hobbit

otw

hmm, since this thread seems to have vampires as it's general theme, would it be ok if we discussed "The Last Vampire" by Christopher Pike?? i love the series, though i do not agree with ALL the stuff he's written regarding vampires..
Old 11-15-2005, 01:51 PM   #14
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Sure. You can see (post 6 for example) that other topics have been introduced here.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:08 PM   #15
ofthewind
Hobbit

otw

COOL!! so would you care to do the honours, Spock?? start off any way you want to!
Old 11-15-2005, 04:39 PM   #16
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofthewind
hmm, since this thread seems to have vampires as it's general theme, would it be ok if we discussed "The Last Vampire" by Christopher Pike?? i love the series, though i do not agree with ALL the stuff he's written regarding vampires..
Well, you proposed the question so how about expanding on your views. Just saying "I love the series" doesn't get you off the hook with us book readers.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:19 PM   #17
ofthewind
Hobbit

otw

well said Spock!! spoken like a dedicated student! Anyway, The Last Vampire is about a vampire named Sita.. she's 5000 years old.. and the only one left of her kind on planet earth.. she generally goes around kicking the hineys of bad guys way to go girl the theme basically revolves around her feelings and emotions and all that she's going through.. the writing style is gripping but there are a few major flaws... the first one being that she can walk in broad daylight... whoever heard of a day-walking vampire????? plus, she can't change into a bat!! that part is definitely lousy... brush aside these faults and you end up with reading material that'll provide entertainment for at least four days!!
Old 01-02-2006, 03:45 AM   #18
MangoPi
Enting

I'm sorry to say, but Queen of the damned was the book that turned me off Anne Rice.

Not sure what it was that did it, but I got about 3 chapters in, put the book down, and never picked it back up.

Her other works were good; Interview with the Vampire was a good read, and the Vampire Lestat also had its moments, (And of course, who didn’t love the Witching Hour? ) but somehow, the series as a whole couldn't keep me engaged.

Narlyë nat vanya!
MangoPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #19
ofthewind
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoPi
I'm sorry to say, but Queen of the damned was the book that turned me off Anne Rice.

Not sure what it was that did it, but I got about 3 chapters in, put the book down, and never picked it back up.

Her other works were good; Interview with the Vampire was a good read, and the Vampire Lestat also had its moments, (And of course, who didn’t love the Witching Hour? ) but somehow, the series as a whole couldn't keep me engaged.
Hmm, I know that this book isn't exactly among Rice's masterpieces, but it really isn't all that bad, but then again, the ending was somewhat stretched so it made the book seem strained as a whole...
Old 01-12-2006, 06:56 PM   #20
MangoPi
Enting

The whole idea behind the Queen and the Egyptian myths was excellent, brilliant even, but rock star vampires?

Narlyë nat vanya!
MangoPi is offline   Reply With Quote