Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-22-2001, 03:50 AM   #1
Film Hobbit

Arwen Expansion

Well... what do you guys think of the confirmation that Arwen's role will be expanded? At least we know now for sure it will happen.

Now we only are left to wonder how much? I dearly hope that PJ didn't get it into his head to combine her with anothe character as I suspect... please please please NO.
Old 03-23-2001, 05:08 AM   #2
IronParrot

Re: Arwen Expansion

Well, she is being "combined" with Glorfindel.

And it was said that all the expansion involving her really stems from Appendix A - probably through more allusions to her past with Aragorn.

I'm fine with that, if it doesn't disturb the flow of the story as presented in the film...
Old 03-23-2001, 04:31 PM   #3
Gilthalion

What IP said!
Old 03-26-2001, 06:10 AM   #4
Film Hobbit

Hey IP, how do you know for certain she is being combined with Glorfindel? I mean I suspect it myself, but haven't been able to find confirmation on it.
Old 03-29-2001, 03:49 AM   #5
Leonides

He doesn't know, because it isn't true. Arwen is at the Fords WITH Glorfindel, she does not take his place. That whole portion of the storyline is the same as the book except Arwen rides with Frodo across the Fords instead of him going alone.

Glorfindel is definetly in though, both at the Fords and the Council of Elrond. There's even a pic of him on the official site seated next to Legolas at the Council.

As for Arwen's expanded role, most of it is just to give her a more visual appearence in the movies, her character really hasn't been changed.

From what we can gather:

FOTR

1. Arwen does the Ford thing I described above
2. She gets a few extra scenes in Rivendel that were not in the book with Aragorn and Elrond, this is to establish her story.
3. She remains out of the picture for the rest of the movie.

TTT

1. Arwen arrives at Helm's Deep with the Grey Company (who will bring Elves with them) carrying Aragorn's banner. She may or may not arrive before the battle. She will not fight, however.
2. Arwen retreats to the caves with the Rohirrim people to remain safe.

ROTK
1. She arrives for Aragorn's coronation (in the books she wasn't there for that)
2. It is rumoured we shall see Aragorn's death (and her's as well) some point in the film. This comes from a line of dialog that we know is spoken that comes directly from the Appendix and refers to Aragorn dying.
Old 03-30-2001, 04:24 AM   #6
Film Hobbit

Again, how do you know all this for certain? Some we know, some is rumor and guess.

In a recent interview... ****... I think at IGN.. forgot now, was like 2 weeks ago, Peter Jackson confirmed that Arwen's role HAS been expanded, though from the way he said it, not drastically so.
Old 03-30-2001, 05:16 AM   #7
Leonides

Trust me, Film Hobbit. These things are certain. Many have been confirmed and others I simply know. The Glorfindel thing I've reported before at other forums and was recently confirmed at www.theonering.net

I know.
Old 03-31-2001, 03:18 AM   #8
Elanor and Niphrodel

*sighs* well thats a load off i was thinking "oh man they're gonna screw it up, i know it" but thank Iru!
Old 03-31-2001, 04:49 AM   #9
Film Hobbit

I love people who come on message boards and expect everyone to believe that somehow they know more about a film than anyone else.

If you want people to believe what you are saying, back it up.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone come on and say, "this is so, trust me I know" and they ended up not having a friggin clue, a very rich Hobbit I would be.
Old 03-31-2001, 06:04 AM   #10
Michael Martinez

For those of you who are not aware, Leonides has been answering questions about the movies in another forum. I do not know him personally and cannot vouch for him on that level, but I have found his answers to fan questions to be well-constructed and in line with many things I have heard through other sources, some online and some offline.

The final appearance of the movies is really still up in the air. Peter has cut "The Fellowship of the Ring", and though he expects to have "The Return of the King" finished before "The Two Towers" hits the theaters, I don't believe he has gotten as far as cutting "The Two Towers" yet.

Leonides has offered a few grains of salt with his answers. As far as movie spies/scouts goes, he's as trustworthy as anyone on the Net may independently be deemed, in my opinion. That doesn't mean everything will turn out as he says, but I don't feel he has been trying to deceive people.
Old 03-31-2001, 07:41 AM   #11
Inoldonil

Well,

thanks alot Leo! I'm very glad to hear that, it's quite the revelation. I trust ya.
Old 04-02-2001, 04:26 PM   #12
Film Hobbit

Michael, I could produce just as many net spies saying exactly the OPPOSITE of what Leo says.

Net spies, no matter how well intentioned, are pretty much unreliable... especially when they are unable to or unwilling to back up their claims.
Old 04-02-2001, 05:00 PM   #13
Michael Martinez

Yes, but I am pretty sure a lot of what Leo is saying is on the money or close to it. For one thing, most of what he has shared with people has already been confirmed through other sources.

Just using John Forde's E! Online reports as a source, someone could put together a pretty good examination of the movies and provide a lot of clues about what will be in them. The Tolkien movie sites are good about reporting updates at E! Online, but they seldom offer analysis of Forde's revelations.

I used to write some for Xenite.Org but got tired of doing it. And there is more information coming out through other sources now, too.

And I have heard some things privately, or offline. It's not like Leo is guaranteeing anyone that anything in particular will happen. But when he writes with an air of authority, he is doing no differently from any of the rest of us. He just expresses more confidence in what he is saying.
Old 04-02-2001, 06:43 PM   #14
mercyfish

While one can debate the veracity of Leonides information, it will really only be proved out with time.

To me a more intersting route for the conversation to take is how people view the changes he outline. I for don't find them top egregious. Though her involvement in the Flight to Ford does make me a little bit queasy.

Bob
Old 04-02-2001, 07:59 PM   #15
Michael Martinez

Queasy? Why? Because Arwen reportedly accompanies Glorfindel? I would say that's a stroke of genius, except I got mad about the full plate armor last October and vowed not to defend these movies again.

I'm going to watch them in the theaters, love them, and forgive all the departures from Tolkien. Because, quite frankly, there ain't nothing anyone can do about it now nohow.

Darned few of us ever had a shot at getting any input into the movies, and those of us who did have a shot didn't have a chance of getting them to be completely faithful to the books.

At least, I was never asked to make a case for doing so. I really don't understand why people agonize over minor stuff like Arwen when, if they really wanted to rail against the Tolkien departures, they ignore the worst sins.

We all have strange priorities in other people's eyes.
Old 04-02-2001, 08:48 PM   #16
mercyfish

Believe me, I am not losing sleep over any of this. A film ain't a book and so forth and so on.

It makes me queasy because that is one of my favorite passages in the book, and I see no clear reason to change it. I don't have any problem playing up the romance, in fact I happen to think it is a good thing. It just might take some convincing for me to accept this one bit. If the movie is good I will certainly be convinced.
Old 04-02-2001, 09:32 PM   #17
Fat middle

hmmmm, this thread is making me trustful in these movies again...

hmmmm, do not be hasty...
Old 04-03-2001, 02:16 AM   #18
Leonides

Good attitude, Mercyfish.
Old 04-03-2001, 11:57 AM   #19
X Rogue

I'm just going to sit back and see what happens, myself. I got tired of driving myself crazy with my OWN speculations, never mind everyone else's speculations. I hope they don't go off into changing things just to change them, or just to be politically correct, but I do not think that has happened. So I will now go and distract myself as best I may until December 2001 rolls around. That is all.

Old 04-04-2001, 02:47 AM   #20
Film Hobbit

I actually agree with Michael Having Arwen ACCOMPANY another character to increase her screen time is a WONDERFUL way to make us more attached to her character without materially changing the story in any way.

Certainly I prefer it as is, however I also understand PJ's desire to make a more present female role in the film. We live in times VERY different from that of Tolkien's, and most women expect to see strong female characters in films like this.