Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-27-2004, 03:56 PM   #81
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Beruthiel's cat
And don't forget Reggie Jackson and the seagull. That one goes waaaaay back!
You mean Dave Winfield?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 03:59 PM   #82
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Yep. I'm an idiot with too much work on my desk to pay attention to truly important things!!! (Mea culpa, Rex!)

At least I got the era right!!!

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...

Last edited by Beruthiel's cat : 02-27-2004 at 04:00 PM.
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 06:41 PM   #83
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Insidious Rex
------------------------------------------------------
Grant DePorter, who helped buy the ball at a December auction for $113,824 on behalf of Harry Caray's Restaurant Group, has lined up three hours of music, comedy and celebrity appearances leading up to the climactic event -- everything short of Steve Bartman, the hapless fan who deflected the ball during Game 6 of the NL championship series.

The ball will be sent into oblivion by Michael Lantieri, an Oscar winner who wrecks things for a living and has worked on such movies as Jurassic Park and Back to the Future.
Hundreds of fans sang"Take Me Out to the Ball Game" before the ball was reduced to a pile of thread. The foul ball had been deflected by fan Steve Bartman in October, with the Cubs five outs from the World Series. Chicago then gave up eight runs to Florida.
The stunt was designed by Oscar winner Michael Lantieri, who worked on Jurassic Park and Back to the Future. the ball was exploded in a bulletproof tank.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 02-27-2004 at 06:43 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 05:20 PM   #84
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Cubs win, Cubs Win, CUBS WIN!!!

Cubs win their season-opener, 7-4 over Cinncinnati Reds! Nothin' doing with the Bulls or Blackhawks, can't figure out the Bears these days - and the White Sox seemed to go backwards (uh - from about the bottom) this off-season - so the Cubs are the big local hope and hype!

Get set for another wild ride and another June Swoon!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 06:29 PM   #85
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'm still debating whether or not to follow the red sox this season... they look good on paper, but they have before

oh, and they lost the season opener... pedro no less
Old 04-06-2004, 12:09 PM   #86
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
i'm still debating whether or not to follow the red sox this season... they look good on paper, but they have before

oh, and they lost the season opener... pedro no less
Keep the faith, my brother. Hope springs eternal for the anti-Yankees.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 02:28 PM   #87
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I think we all need to give a good 30 seconds of awe to the accomplishments of one Roger Samuel Clemens for simply being 41 years of age while going 7-0 at the highest level of baseball in the world (the majors that is). Not to mention having a 1.72 ERA, and having struck out 62 batters in 52 innings. Just awesome. Gives hope to us old folk (over 25) that glory may still yet be more then just a glimmer in our rear view mirror. When is the last time someone over the age of 40 won the Cy Young? Nolan Ryan?

Old 05-19-2004, 02:40 PM   #88
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

And now Randy Johnson at 40 years of age throws only the 17th perfect game in the history of baseball. Astounding. Arguably the most difficult single game accomplishment there is. With guys like Clemens and Johnson and Bonds dominating a young mans game, us "old people" can stick our chest out (and suck in our gut) and perhaps even mention the word "prime" in sentences again. Then we can collapse in a fit of coughing on the couch.

Old 05-19-2004, 03:41 PM   #89
Beruthiel's cat

I don't usually watch the sports reports on television because I'm pretty tired by the time they come on. (We old folks need our sleep... ) But I perked right up when I heard that!! What a feat!!

But I think Randy figured out a way to take it easy. Pitch a perfect game and you only have to face 27 batters...

(speaking of perfect games, have you seen the movie "For the Love of the Game" with Kevin Costner? It's about an older pitcher pitching a perfect game. It's no "Bull Durham" but it's not "Waterworld" either...)

~~~~~~~~~

"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 05-20-2004, 04:53 AM   #90
Janny
The Blobbit

I'm sorry. Just for the English twit can you define a 'perfect game'?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 07:04 AM   #91
Valandil

Quote:
Originally posted by Janny
I'm sorry. Just for the English twit can you define a 'perfect game'?
Oh Janny, you're not a 'twit' at all! I imagine we Americans are as fully unaware of terminology for LOTS of sports that are not widely played here! Let me back it up though, in case I would even FURTHER confuse you.

In baseball, the man throwing the ball to the batter is the pitcher. His objective is to get the batter 'out'... and after 3 outs, the teams switch positions in regard to batting and fielding. You can get a batter out in different ways. One is by throwing three pitches at which he swings and misses - or at which he does not swing - and they pass him within the 'strike zone' (an area in front of the batter in which he should be able to hit a ball - if he's good enough). In that case you have 'struck him out'. He can also be out if he hits the ball and it's caught before the first bounce or if someone catches the ball and throws it to the base he's running toward before he gets there.

The batter's objective is to get on base and eventually score a run. He can do that by hitting the ball and running to first base (and maybe on to second, third, etc) without someone catching the ball before a bounce or throwing to the base before he's there. OR - he can get on base by being 'walked'... either get hit by a pitched ball (PAINFUL option - and you can't TRY to get hit), or having four 'balls' thrown OUTSIDE the strike zone (at which he does NOT swing) before he gets three strikes.

OK - I think I needed to say all that before I say this:

It's a great feat for a pitcher to get a 'no-hitter' - that's when no batter through the course of the whole game gets on base (or scores) with a hit. The pitcher may 'walk' a batter - or batters - and still get credit for a 'no-hitter'.

It's an even GREATER feat, and very rare (let's say of First Age Heroic Proportions) for a pitcher to pitch the ball for an entire game, allowing NO RUNS and NO WALKS. That means you have to get 'out' 27 out of 27 batters - either by 'strike-outs' or by fielding outs. Very, very hard to do... but it just happened the other day, for the 17th time in professional baseball (over 100 years of history, I think) and was done by a pitcher who was 40 years old. (and the Cubs coulda GOT him a few years back! Argh!)

(EDIT: Oops - anyway... THAT is what we call a 'perfect game'!)

I-Rex, this is OT, but it makes me think of when George Foreman won the heavyweight boxing title at age 46. I'm 41 now... I can wait a few more years, then start training...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Last edited by Valandil : 05-21-2004 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:52 AM   #92
Janny
The Blobbit

Maybe I should have played down the embarressed smilie... I know most of the rules of most US sports, just not the kind of things you can get from rule books, eg what a perfect game is etc.
Thanks Val, most detailed description
So, currently the cricket is on, England are playing New Zealand, the wicket isn't green and doesn't look like it'll take wrist or finger spin. There's no cloud cover, but the bowlers are getting swing, the ball is about 30 overs old and the stand for second wicket is going nicely. Currently there is an agressive field, 3 slips, a gulley and a fine leg... also they were thinking about a third man. The first f.o.w. was about 70 something. MMWAHAHAHA!

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 09:03 AM   #93
Beruthiel's cat

The Gaffer tried to explain cricket to me once on the Cricket thread. Bless him, but it didn't help...

So, Janny, thanks for clouding that up for me...

BTW, does anyone out there follow any Minor Leage teams?? My town has the Minnesota Twins AAA franchise and they are doing pretty well so far this season.

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 05-20-2004, 01:07 PM   #94
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
I-Rex, this is OT, but it makes me think of when George Foreman won the heavyweight boxing title at age 46. I'm 41 now... I can wait a few more years, then start training...
Now isnt that just the way to go? I mean imagine being paid millions of dollars to be fat and bald and old and all you have to do is hit a guy really hard once or twice a year for a few rounds. AND you get free barbacue equipment to boot! The man has the perfect life.

Old 05-21-2004, 01:25 PM   #95
Valandil

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Now isnt that just the way to go? I mean imagine being paid millions of dollars to be fat and bald and old and all you have to do is hit a guy really hard once or twice a year for a few rounds. AND you get free barbacue equipment to boot! The man has the perfect life.
Anyway... I believe I have definitely moved up into the weight class!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 07-25-2004, 12:03 AM   #96
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Haha A-Rod almost got his pretty little face messed up by Jason Varitek today. I was watching the Red Sox-Yankees game live when the fireworks went off. I'm by no means a proficient lip-reader, but I can tell you exactly what A-Rod said to Varitek. And his mother wouldn't be happy. I was jumping around my living room yelling at the TV like it was a heavyweight championship match. It still doesn't top Kyle Farnsworth spearing Paul Wilson in that Cubs-Reds game last year. That was like the best baseball fight ever

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:12 PM   #97
Valandil

Continuing these 'sports thread bumps'...

Cubs made a nice trade just before the deadline on Saturday. Picked up all-star shortstop Nomar Garciapara from Boston Red Sox. In his 3 games so far (and admittedly, not against the best teams), the Cubs are 3-0. They're way behind St Louis in the division, but have pulled up to have a 1 game lead in the NL wild-card standings... after being consistently 1 1/2 to 3 games out of that the past few weeks.

Can it happen again? Can the CUBBIES get into the playoffs once more?!?!?!???

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 08-05-2004, 03:22 PM   #98
Beruthiel's cat

Should have known something happened to the Cubbies when I saw you bump up the baseball thread, Val....

I think Chicago got the best end of the trade. Why do the Red Sox continually do these things??? Did they forget about Babe Ruth??

(the Red Sox are my second favorite American League team and I suppose if I had to pick a National League team, the Cubbies would be first on my list...I hope the trade works out well for them, and you bet I want to see them in the playoffs again this year!!!)

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 09-01-2004, 11:53 PM   #99
ringbearer
Elf Lord

St. Louis Cardinals!!!

I hope they "Win it all"!!!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:19 AM   #100
Valandil

Merging

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court