Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-08-2016, 08:19 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Rio Olympics - 2016

It's on. Who's watching? What do you like? And... SHOULD it have been in Chicago?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I would like to do some watching, but too much work and other projects keeping me off the broadcasts. Haven't even had time to see the openingsceremony, which is always a sure draw for me.

I'm hoping to catch some of the gymnastics later, though.

As for Chicago, still not over that, are you? Anyway, I dunno. They've had had problems, sure, but so has Greece, if you can remember. And they'd have had the bad luck that their economy was in a much better place at the bidding than now.

But I do wonder - if the polution problem was such that even after intensive work they still haven't solved it acceptably- shouldn't this have been obvious from the start? (At the recent test event, the sail-sportmen still complained about waste, stench and even washing machines (!) in the sailing waters) I wonder if the Olympic Comittee should have been more realistic about whether Brazil could possibly sort that out in a mere four years. You can't just re-rout the entire waste water of a gigantic city on that short notice. I mean, telling the sailors that they should just keep their mouth shut when on the water? Yikes. Frankly I'm rather inclined to wish they had just cancelled the sailing competitions and the triathlons, I don't think it's fair that contestants should run that much of a health risk.

Not sure if this proves only first-world-cities can pull off an Olympic, though.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote