Sapling

Do Balrogs have wings?

So do they?
Ulfsark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Draken
Elf Lord

Oh no! The "balrog wings" question!

The last time this was asked it was virtual civil war in here...

Take cover everyone!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I think it's time to reopen hostilities. It was before my time, anyway. Surely any wounds have healed since then?

The rule has to be that you have to declare your position, surely. None of this sitting on the fence.

They do. Because it says so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge of Khazad-Thingmy
..its wings were spread from wall to wall.
In before lock.

The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
Ulfsark
Sapling

Well I originally made this to troll you guys but I'm glad your taking it seriously.

Basically I think it should canonically accepted that balrogs have vestigial wings. Although in reality Tolkien probably just forgot what he wanted balrogs to look like.

I'm too lazy to show evidence but basically what the Gaffer said plus the fact that flight would ave been useful to balrogs in many circumstances but it was never used.

I also did some calculations and very roughly I concluded that for flight each of the balrog's wings would have to be about approximately 4.5 times the length off his body.

However the topic is not whether balrogs fly but whether they have wings. So I say yes.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
They do. Because it says so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge of Khazad-Thingmy
..its wings were spread from wall to wall.
In before lock.
No, it says, “like ... wings”. The “wings” are metaphors for the shadow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by “Bridge of Khazad-dûm”

The Balrog reached the bridge. ... the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings.
It’s a very exciting passage, and it’s easy not to read the whole thing and get carried away by the author’s poetic speech.

Unlocked.

Last edited by Alcuin : 01-11-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
Ulfsark
Sapling

So its shadow was spread from wall to wall? Well that's a rather pointless description because the size of a shadow is heavily dependent on the distance from the object to the source of light. A hobbits's shadow could have been from wall to wall.

Last edited by Ulfsark : 01-11-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
Galin
Elven Warrior

Not mere shadow but Unlight. Not describing Balrogs here, but note...

'The Light failed; but the Darkness that followed was more than loss of light. In that hour was made a Darkness that seemed not lack but a thing with being of its own: for it was indeed made by malice out of Light, and it had power to pierce the eye, and to enter heart and mind, and strangle the very will.' Quenta Silmarillion

I think the balrog had something similar. One could call it a cloak of Unlight, or shadow, or cloak of darkness (that arguably could grown and reach out like wings might)...

'These were the the spirits who first adhered to him in the days of his splendour, and became most like him in his corruption: their hearts were of fire, but they were cloaked in darkness, and terror went before them; they had whips of flame. Balrogs they were named by the Noldor in later days.'

My opinion anyway.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:32 AM   #8
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
No, it says, “like ... wings”. The “wings” are metaphors for the shadow.It’s a very exciting passage, and it’s easy not to read the whole thing and get carried away by the author’s poetic speech.
That's very true! but Gaffer is quite right - two paragraphs down from where you quoted, it does indeed say exactly what the Gaffer quoted.

I, like you, thought it was only "like", but I kept reading, and our ol' Gaff was spot on!

Now the really volatile question is whether or not Elves have pointed ears ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 01-12-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
That's very true! but Gaffer is quite right - two paragraphs down from where you quoted, it does indeed say exactly what the Gaffer quoted.
Extended metaphor is still metaphor. That doesn’t mean it didn’t look like wings: indeed, I think it did! But it was darkness: not darkness blocking light, like a shadow, but actively evil darkness, malignant darkness: the Balrog was a demon.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:47 AM   #10
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

hmm, I thought it was pretty clear - the first bit was the shadowy part where there is a wing-like effect (possibly even from the wings); the second bit, after the insult of denying him the bridge (when he was clearly only trying to cross to say hello to Frodo ) was the actual physical part as it "drew itself up to a great height, and its wings were spread from wall to wall..."

I think that's the more natural reading, but I suppose we differ - and hence the controversy!

(and of course we can bring in the earlier types of balrogs, too - those were weird! 0.o )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 01-12-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:58 AM   #11
Rían

This is a nice little summary on Balrog wings that I hadn't seen before.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:35 AM   #12
Draken
Elf Lord

Yes, Balrogs have Wings.

Paul McCartney wouldn't pay the ransom.

Adapted from an original joke from the "Noddy Book of Jolly Japes" (c)1953. Explanation to anyone born after 1965 available upon request.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:06 AM   #13
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
Extended metaphor is still metaphor. That doesn’t mean it didn’t look like wings: indeed, I think it did! But it was darkness: not darkness blocking light, like a shadow, but actively evil darkness, malignant darkness: the Balrog was a demon.
Indeed it is. Although this one starts out as a simile and then, by your interpretation, morphs into metaphor.

The main reason why I think they actually do have wings in the story is that right throughout his writing, Tolkien uses simile as an initial introduction to something that turns out to be literally true. He does it, I think, to put you in the shoes of the character who is not really sure what is going on.

So, his usual MO is to start with a simile that morphs towards reality, i.e. in the opposite direction of metaphor.

Of course, I can't think any examples right now, but when I do I will post them.

Thanks for the link, will read that when I can be arsed.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #14
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

The funny thing is, that I don't really care if they've got wings or not.

The thing I have been mainly interested in, since seeing many of the depictions in the movie and elsewhere: is it actually said somewhere that they have horns?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #15
the insane one
Sapling

Im certain there was a thread on this a long time ago.

In FR on the Bridge it says its wings spread from wall to wall. Yet it still fell and didnt save its self, and got pushed of a mountain by gandalf.
Also later on Tolkien compares a nazgul to be like a balrog.

Thankfully you aks if a Balrog has wings, they most likely do, but there is no evidence to say that they can fly.

So basically a Balrog is just a penguin from a slightly warmer climate

"White!" he sneered "It serves as the begining. White cloth may be dyed. The white page may be overwritten; and the white light may be broken."

"in which case is is no longer white" siad I. "And he that breaks something to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
the insane one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
Taniquetil
Hobbit

I'm really sorry, but this situation so cries out for a bad pun that I just can't help myself!

The time has come-the mooters said-to talk of many things
of unshod Hobbits, Aqualonde's ships,and the stars of Elbereth
of mallorn trees and elven kings
and why a Silmaril is burning hot and whether balrogs have wings

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I feel better now

As to the debate, I have never imagined them with wings. Just before it speaks of "wings stretching from wall to wall" it says that the Balrog was " a shape of malice man-sized yet greater and a shadow as a dark cloud was about it" or something like that. Also, due to the fact that Ecthelion was able to pierce Gothmog's heart with his helmet I would say that Gothmog couldn't have been horribly taller than him and Gothmog was the greatest of Balrogs!
It simply makes no sense for a mannish sized creature to have physical wings that would fill a huge cavern. But it makes perfect sense if JRRT is referring to to that shadow or "malicious unlight" that was around the Balrog. In other words, the Balrog could change the shape of it's dark-cloud, but not itself. And above all there's the obvious fact that they can't fly. I could come up with more reasons, but this is all that I feel like typing right now.
Who died before his time, curse the oath of Feanor!
Hail his daughter Elwing and Earendil!
Forbearers of the Peredhil!
Alone among the children free
to choose the Edain or the Eldalie!
A Elbereth Gilthoniel! Hail Manwe on Taniquetil!
Taniquetil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #17
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the insane one View Post
So basically a Balrog is just a penguin from a slightly warmer climate
I thank you for the mental image that sentence provided.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #18
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniquetil View Post

The time has come-the mooters said-to talk of many things
of unshod Hobbits, Aqualonde's ships,and the stars of Elbereth
of mallorn trees and elven kings
and why a Silmaril is burning hot and whether balrogs have wings

They have fuzzy slippers!

Last edited by Alcuin : 01-19-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: someone slipped in pic of a lovely nymph for a balrog with fuzzy slippers
Old 01-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #19
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

i always thought of the balrogs taking on the shape of night mares. i thought of it as a devil like creature that could take on a shape of fear and big huge wings are scary. if a devil is the opposite of a heavenly being is a balrog the opposite of a maya (sorry i cant spell that word right!)?
so if the balrog is trying to get scary to the hobbits it would be a huge scary winged firey black scary thing! anyway thats my take on things. wings are scary so i think the bolrogs have wings! maybe the wings was just a design feature like plastic flowers, no real use but looks ok on your window if your into that kinda thing!
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #20
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Here is a link to an easy on Balrog wings and 12 passages of text that bear on the subject.

http://tolkien.slimy.com/essays/TAB6.html

Pick it the way you want, reasonable text analysis could go either way for the later/published balrogs, although earlier/unplublished versions were somewhat more clearly not flyers.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote