Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-26-2003, 05:21 PM   #21
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Hey Lief,

The excerpt you posted chugs along at a brisk pace, perhaps because it's so "event-driven". Given that you're saying the battle takes place over several chapters, at that kind of pace, you've already created a sense of grandeur in length alone. The inherent danger in length is boring the audience, but as long as you keep the tension consistently high, like in that passage, that will not be a problem.

Don't bog it down with too much in the way of technical details, because that's when the ferocity of the battle becomes perhaps a little too objectified, if you're not careful. It seems very readable as it is. Just have lots and lots going on (coherently, of course) and you'll be amazed at how grand a scene you've created.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 06:48 PM   #22
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Thanks for the advice, Ironparrot . You've restored my confidence, for your description of what my novel should be like is just what I think it is like. I just wasn't sure if that was completely desirable. The frequent lack of close description and concentrating most of the time on what's happening was different from what I've read in most fantasy novels, and I wasn't sure if it worked effectively.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 06:56 PM   #23
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

So, does anyone else have any battle scenes they're interested in posting?
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote