Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-22-2002, 03:22 PM   #1
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

The Warg Battle vs the battle in Moria

Did anyone else think that the scene with the Wargs in TTT was a lot like the battle the Fellowship has at Balins tomb in Moria? They seemed to have the same "Feel" to me, with there being no music and a little bit of comedy.

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 05:31 PM   #2
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Gandalf

I really don't see how there was any comedy in either battle scene. The only funny part during the warg battle was when Legolas killed the warg just before it ate/killed Gimili, and Gimili yelled 'That one counts as mine!' Other than that I thought it all bery serious and depressing. (I hate war and war movies) I especcialy didn't like the part when Aragorn fell over the cliff. I didn't remeber that happening in the book, and I was afraid they had really killed him off, even though that would have killed the plot entirly. The battle scene in Moria was only a little funny before it started, when Pippin knocked the skeleten over the edge of the wishing well type thingy. They were a little similar in that they were both unexpected and that they were ambushed both times. But other than that...

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 06:29 PM   #3
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I agree! I didn't like that bit with Aragorn falling of the cliff! As he had already been injured I didn't see who he was going to survive! Even though I knew that he didn't die! I mean that was a bad fall down a really high cliff!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 06:33 PM   #4
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

EG14, have you watched the Ex. ed. of FotR? That's got some more comedy in the Balin tomb battle scene. Also, I found the part very amusing in the Warg battle were the Wargs fell on top of Gimli. Also, the part where Aragorn fell off the cliff didn't bother me that much, because I know that no one could kill of Aragorn. That would have totally destroyed the movie, and I think that I speak for many LotR fans when I say I wouldn't see RotK if Aragorn died.

One nation
UNDER GOD
Old 12-22-2002, 08:44 PM   #5
Ben
Retired Ent

Actually, did anyone think of the arena battle from AOTC? People are fighting all around, and then the camera cuts to C-3PO, trying to be funny. I think in AOTC this failed, but the Gimli scenes with the wargs piling on him managed to work, without ruining the mood.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 08:47 PM   #6
Entlover
Elven Warrior

I'm just wondering what the point was to having Aragorn fall off the cliff. So we could see that everyone missed him? So Legolas could show a little emotion? So we could see that he has a cool horse, the only one to think of looking downstream for him?

As he risked his life to film it (according to Return to ME) I like to think there was a significant reason for it.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 11:32 PM   #7
eowyngirl14

Gandalf

WallRocker, no I haven't seen the extended DVD version of Fotr. I asked for it for christmas though... I really don't see how killing/war can be funny in any sense though... I am very aginst violence if you haven't already been able to tell. I guess it was a little bit funny when all of the wargs fell on Gimili, But I felt a little sorry for the wargs, they looked kindof like big hyperactive puppies to me. As I have said it DID bother me when Aragorn fell over the cliff. (He risked his life to film that shot?) I probobly would have gone to see rotk even if he died, just to see who would become the king of Gondor/ take his place and everything.

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-23-2002, 02:00 AM   #8
Entlover
Elven Warrior

[QUOTE]Originally posted by eowyngirl14
As I have said it DID bother me when Aragorn fell over the cliff. (He risked his life to film that shot?)

The fall itself wasn't dangerous but apparently he got caught in an undertow and dragged about 15 feet under the water and barely made it back to the surface. A shame, since they really didn't use that footage.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 11:19 AM   #9
eowyngirl14

Gandalf

I think that is soo neat! I wish they had showed that footage. It would have looked so real and made the audience believe he was going to die, if they didn't show him coming back up to the surface.
I heard that when filming fotr Viggo's tooth was knocked out by a sword and he asked them to superglue it back in so that he could finish the scene. Does anyone know if that is true, or just a rumor?!?!

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-23-2002, 01:55 PM   #10
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by eowyngirl14
I heard that when filming fotr Viggo's tooth was knocked out by a sword and he asked them to superglue it back in so that he could finish the scene. Does anyone know if that is true, or just a rumor?!?!
Oh, it's true. If you watch one of the making of LotR FotR on the DVD's second disc(I don't remember whcih one) PJ talks about that. That's what I call dedication to a film!

One nation
UNDER GOD
Old 12-24-2002, 04:15 PM   #11
eowyngirl14

Gandalf

I always knew Aragorn/Viggo was cool!!!

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-24-2002, 05:20 PM   #12
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Of all the serious "bloopers" in lotr I would have to say that Viggo's river stunt was the worst though the piece of glass that Sean Astin stepped on in the River Scene was bad too...as was the loom incident. Of course there were other minor ones like when Viggo ran into a door (supposedly) and got a black eye from his surf Board. And did you Orlie fans know he broke his back?
I liked it when Gimli kept on getting buried under orcs and wargs. But the whole sequence wasn't really nessecary...just a chance to show the audience some more evil creatures in ME. For me the coolest battle ever was Helms Deep...that rocked big time.
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 05:50 PM   #13
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Ah but it DID show something. Gimily didn't need his axe, he just snaped that orcs neck.

And maybe they were trying to show how strong he was because you noticed he was starting to lift the corpses off himself. Not bad when you consider those wargs were knocking HORSES over.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 06:11 PM   #14
eowyngirl14

Quote:
Originally posted by samwise of the shire
Of all the serious "bloopers" in lotr I would have to say that Viggo's river stunt was the worst though the piece of glass that Sean Astin stepped on in the River Scene was bad too...as was the loom incident. Of course there were other minor ones like when Viggo ran into a door (supposedly) and got a black eye from his surf Board. And did you Orlie fans know he broke his back?
Cheers,
Sam
When did all this happen? What was wrong with Viggo's river fall? Sean Astin stepped on a peice of glass? Viggo has a surf board? How did Orlando brake his back?

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-25-2002, 06:20 PM   #15
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
I thought he broke his back in London before he even started filming LOTR.
Old 12-25-2002, 06:56 PM   #16
eowyngirl14

Gandalf

Where are you guyz getting all of this information? I have heard nothing!?!?! (That might be because I am not suppost to watch TV on school days....*yells at parents* If there is a website about this, please post it or PM it to me!!!

Thanx!

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-26-2002, 04:04 AM   #17
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by eowyngirl14
Where are you guyz getting all of this information? I have heard nothing!?!?! (That might be because I am not suppost to watch TV on school days....*yells at parents* If there is a website about this, please post it or PM it to me!!!

Thanx!
I found out most of that from TV specials and websites. Try http://www.theonering.net and http://www.tolkienonline.com
Old 12-26-2002, 03:07 PM   #18
eowyngirl14

Gandalf

Thanx casseopia!! These websites are awsome!

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-26-2002, 04:13 PM   #19
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Quote:
I thought he broke his back in London before he even started filming LOTR.
He did Firekitten. Fell from a 3 storey window and broke his back. Doctors said he'd never walk again. 3 weeks later he walked out on crutches. That was a year or so before filming. Sorry. I forgot to put that in.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote:
When did all this happen? What was wrong with Viggo's river fall? Sean Astin stepped on a peice of glass? Viggo has a surf board? How did Orlando brake his back?
Well Viggo Mortensen was doing a floating down the river shot when the current pushed him into a corner of the bank of the river where there was a hole or somethin' and he got pushed down about 15 feet or so. Most drowned. It's on "Return to Middle Earth".
Sean was filming the lake scene where Sam runs into the water after Frodo. They'd had divers check out the lake before but they missed a piece of extremely sharp glass, and Sean stepped on it just as he reached the boat. It went straight through his prothestetic (sp?) foot and came out at the top. He had to have 20 stitches. That's on "Return to Middle Earth" too. And I explained how Orlie broke his back up at the top of the post. That story's on "Return to Middle Earth" too.
That's one of the reasons I want to go into acting...lotsa danger *demented laugh*
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 08:14 PM   #20
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
lol I thought I might have been losing it! Was pretty sure but not positve, I remembered someone saying they showed the scars on the WB special.