Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-17-2001, 11:27 PM   #1
Alixor

Elven/Maian Magic

Ok this is something that has always bugged me. Whenever I think of a Fantasy, the first thing that comes to my mind is "strange things from other worlds and dimension" AND "Magic". See, Magic is always there. Ther fantasies that do not have any magic in them, or supernatural powers of superior beings, are very rare.

Now, in Tolkien's works, magic is very subtle, and a zillion people say that's incredibly cool and what makes JRR Tolkien different from others since the magic "is so subtle it seems real" kind of thing.

My memory fails me many times when it comes to remembering things I've read, yet the main instances in which magic is used are either by Gandalf or Galadriel. Well, Galadriel only with her "magical" mirror. Oviously bearers of the Three use their "magic" to preserve their Elven realms from the ravages of time and make the elves feel very good.

I think the biggest display of magic ever in the Lord of the Rings is when the four hobbits see Lightnings and light flashes on the hill where the Nazgul fight Gandalf.

Now, in the movies however, in order to attract the attentions of those who have not read the LotR, they have much more magic.

For example, the Elves of Lothlorien pull the Fellowship up with magic onto the trees I heard somehwere.

There is a duel or two between Saruman and Gandalf using magic. And gandalf some crazy stuff in the latest trailer with his staff.

Ok, enough of my rambling.

Discuss magic in the Lord of the Rings

I just want to know expecially about Elven magic. I know what Maiar could probably do since they are freakin sub-creators. They helped create Arda after all.

But it is the Elves expecially that I would like to know your thoughts on.

Men see some things done by Elves as magic, yet Elves only see it as natural to them.

Alixor
Old 06-18-2001, 12:20 AM   #2
Inoldonil

Re: Elven/Maian Magic

Michael Martinez wrote a great editorial called Understanding Magic in Tolkien's Middle-earth, check it out!

The bit about Lothlorien levitation in the movies has been confirmed as false, so you needn't worry about all that.
Old 06-18-2001, 07:00 AM   #3
Feanturi

That is a good thing that it is false. Although it might attract non-readers i would like it to be as close to the original as possible, as i have said in the Lord of the Rings Movies topic.
Old 06-19-2001, 10:08 PM   #4
ladyisme

If I remember right the lightning on the hill wasn't the only obvious magic that Gandalf used in self defense, there was also the attack made by the wolves on the fellowship and the incident with Wormtoung. Perhaps Maian preferred to be less subtile with magic than elves.

"The road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began."
Old 06-20-2001, 07:39 PM   #5
Idril Celebrindal

Maiar are pretty subtle in general, I thought... it's kinda more when all else fails that the blast-happy mages in some other fantasy books.
Old 06-29-2001, 08:06 PM   #6
Comic Book Guy 2001

The bit when Gandalf does things with his Staff in the trailer when he is fighting Durins Bane on the bridge of khazad dûm.

Wasn't there a scene in FoTR when one of the Hobbits ask about Elven magic when they recieve the Elven coats?
Old 06-30-2001, 05:10 AM   #7
Inoldonil

Cloaks, yes. In Farewell to Lórien one of the Hobbits asks 'are these magic cloaks?' The leader of those Elves says he doesn't rightly know what they mean. He notes they are certainly Elvish and explains what they are for and how they work.
Old 07-13-2001, 08:59 AM   #8
SauronDL

I don't know that much on this subject, but Gandalf performed quite a bit of magic actually. For starters, there was the flash at Bilbo's party (if you call that magic), and Weathertop, and Caradhras (however you spell it), the attack of the wolves, perhaps some others, and in the movie Saruman and Gandalf duel. This duel has been confirmed true.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:04 AM   #9
SauronDL

Oh, there is one other thing I know about magic in Middle-earth.

Every, and absolutely every form of magic in Middle-earth is made up of two components:

1. Some 'magical' gesture or whatever (a physical component).
2. Some sort of vocal incantation to go with that. Every piece of magic must have some sort of 'abracadabra' or something.

But this is another debate of Tolkien's. Tolkien himself stated that Balrogs, NEVER make ANY sort of vocal sound. Yet in Moria, Durin's Bane performed some sort of counter-spell on Gandalf after the hall, before the run to the chasm. Nobody is quite sure what the answer is here, but we must assume that the Balrog somehow made an incantation; even if unaloud.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:29 PM   #10
Shanamir Duntak

Hum...

Sorry but I have to disagree with you on that. Especially in Middle-Earth, the magic is different from other fantasies.

Magic in Middle-Earth is mostly subtle. so subtle that you can do some without even knowing. The magic used by elves is really different from what you say. Do you hear Galadriel say ANY word when she's looking at the fellowship's members hearts? That was magic.

They, too, do not have to speak to keep their realms protected with the rings. They just intend to do it.

And for the Balrog "counterspell": Greater spirits have all a kind of natural resistence to magic. Magic does not affect Maian, Balrogs, elves, hobbits, dwarfs, orc or human the same way.
Old 07-13-2001, 04:56 PM   #11
Inoldonil

I don't personally think we have to assume the Balrog made any sort of incantation as a counter-spell, but it is odd we read about a terrible cry when he plunges into the Chasm from the Bridge.
Old 07-29-2001, 09:11 PM   #12
EZ Board Nomad

Also, speaking of moria, Gandalf uses magic to make the very very tiny light they use when going through the mines and whatnot.

And as for elves, it is probably just a greater understanding of the real way everything is that makes what they can do seem magic to others, like the old cliches of modern technology seeming like magic to less advanced people.