Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2003, 08:47 PM   #1
straight_face
Enting

Gollum Boo hoo Arwen

I was greatly irritated when I realized Arwen had a part in the Two Towers. In the Fellowship of the Ring, I would have enjoyed seeing Glorfindel, an interesting character portrayed in the book. Hollywood seems to have a defect in which they attempt putting more women in movies, you know, the tough-looking but not-so women. Arwen is one of these, and whenever I attempt arguing this subject to others they reply with the fact that the movie supposedly needed more women. They are not correct, I believe. Then they anger returned when Arwen had the most boring part in the Two Towers. I am angered that they turned the movie into a love story and I am sure Tolkien would not be so pleased with that. I know there was the occasional appearences that Arwen made, for example in Rivendell, but they have stretched it too far. I have read the Two Towers a third time and Arwen has no part, or for that matter, a name mentioning throughout the entire thing. Her parts in the Two Towers were not needed and were not necessary at all. They happened to be the only boring part in the movie. I am worried about the Return of the King. Considering she has three paragraphs of things to say to Frodo, she'll probably take up half of the movie.
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'