Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-15-2008, 02:20 AM   #1
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
As for the qualifications, my mother, aunt, and cousins are all educators. I know the education they have had and the time and energy they put into preparing for their work. Teaching is not something that just anyone can do. To be a good teacher is a full-time job that requires education and training. And while a very select few homeschoolers may have this education, my guess would be that the vast majority do not. And while this may be alright when you're teaching very young children, how is someone with a high school education (again, the home school parents of my experience generally have a high school education) going to teach a child physics, biology, calculus, AP government, AP history, AP English, etc. as well as someone who has education and training in the subject? They're not. They're simply not.
It is indeed very difficult to be a good teacher, and most are overworked and underappreciated. Your relations would probably agree that there is a shortage of good teachers in many schools. And, how can one teacher, no matter how good, provide the same one-on-one individual attention that a parent can? All parents work hard to make the best choices for their children - not all children have the same needs.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote