Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-28-2004, 10:48 AM   #1
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Good Scenes in the Movies

I can't believe I'm starting this thread, but there are some good scenes in "The Fellowship of the Ring", "The Two Towers", and "The Return of the King". This is not a complaint thread like "the whole movie sucked except this one scene". This thread is to say which scenes you thought were well-done. There is already a thread on the best fight scene - this one is for bests scenes overall.

Last night I watched part of FOTR between ad breaks in CSI. I flipped to FOTR to see Gandalf's face as he clung to the bridge of Khazad-dum. I felt like my heart skipped a beat in the ensuing scene. It's dramatic, and it has great camera shots. I love the way Gandalf says, "Fly... you fools." The first time I saw FOTR this scene made me tear up. As they run out of the mines, my most favourite part of the entire soundtrack plays in the background. Sometimes I found the soundtrack a little overbearing in the movie, but it's perfect here.

The other great scene is the death of Boromir. The first time I saw FOTR this scene made me cry. Sean Bean is completely brilliant as Boromir throughout the entire movie, and he really shines in this scene. He shows Boromir's courage and determination so well in the last battle, and the scene between him and Aragorn is very moving.

The battle itself is also excellent because Gimli gets some great battle action and shows his mad warrior skeeelz. Gimli is one of my favourite characters in the book, and I really appreciate this scene.

You can talk about scenes from all three movies.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 01:08 PM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

IMO, there are way too many GOOD scenes to mention! I just got my 2005 page a day calendar. (This will be the third year for me) It is of all three movies, and there are so many GORGEOUS shots of great scenes. Ahhh!
Old 11-28-2004, 01:27 PM   #3
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

The scene I think is the best in all movies, is when the beacons are lit, in RoTK. That is stunning marvelous Though there mught be more beacons than it was originaly, or was it?, the scene is extremely beautiful.

there are of course other magnificent scenes in the movies, but compared to this...
Old 11-28-2004, 01:49 PM   #4
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I really liked the scene between Aragorn and Boromir in Lorien. I think this really summed up Boromirs love for his country yet the fact that he was resigned that it should be Minas Tirith that should take the hammer blow of Sauron's wrath. I also really like Boromirs death scene to. His recognition of Aragorn being his king and his repentance of trying to take the Ring from Frodo. From this scene I think the look on Legolas' face summed up the elves knowledge of death. The fact that it was a strange thing for them and didn't regularly occur with them whereas it did with Mortals.

I also enjoyed the scene on Caradhras where Frodo drops the Ring. This shows Boromir's weakness and lust for the Ring, that he was so far fighting. It also showed Frodo's possesivness when he grabbed the Ring back from him. And when you see Aragorn removing his hand from his sword showed to me that he knew that the quest came above the life on Boromir.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 12:46 AM   #5
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I thought that all the scenes with Gollum and Frodo in The Two Towers were done extremely well. I also really loved the scenes in The Two Towers and The Return of the King where Gollum and Smeagol faced each other. I thought that was really interesting and very well done, those were some of my favorite parts of the book too! I also thought that the scene where the Ring gets destroyed in The Return of the King was very moving. The special effects were really good.
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:30 AM   #6
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

as movies, i have to say my favourite scene bagan wit the opening titles
on fellowship, and din't end until the end credits on return of king

<sat on more fences than worzel gummidge!!
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:30 AM   #7
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
IMO, there are way too many GOOD scenes to mention! I just got my 2005 page a day calendar. (This will be the third year for me) It is of all three movies, and there are so many GORGEOUS shots of great scenes. Ahhh!
Well, I kind of implied you can put your favourite scenes. I don't expect you to list every single good scene in a 12 hour movie.

The beacon scene was very visually stunning. EDIT: Actually, all the mountain shots were. Caradrhas was wicked cool.

Another great scene was approaching Edoras. I like how it was shown (as a walled city on a hill), and the Riders of Rohan had such cool armour. I enjoyed the Celtic/Viking-looking patters for armour and the design of the hall etc.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 11-29-2004, 01:08 PM   #8
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Caradrhas was wicked cool.
It's Caradhras! The dh produces the th sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkienfan
I thought that all the scenes with Gollum and Frodo in The Two Towers were done extremely well.
I liked those scenes to. Especially the one where Frodo calls Gollum Smeagol for the first time.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 01:30 PM   #9
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
It's Caradhras! The dh produces the th sound!
OMG no wonder I can't spell it, I always pronounced it "Caradras"

*slaughters inner fangirl with an oar*
I blame her. But they always come back.
Quote:
Old 12-01-2004, 04:36 PM   #10
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I quite liked the lighting of the beacons of Gondor in RoTK. It wasn't quite how I imagined it, but I always thought the lights of the beacons Gandalf and Pippin see in the night on their way to Gondor were a powerful idea and image. And here the movie didn't let me down, which was really nice. (Except Pippin's clumsy lighting of the first beacon. Creeping up there and then fumbling until the wood cought fire was rather unnecesary IMHO.) But the music and the appearing of one lighted beacon after another was visually great.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:14 PM   #11
Nothing
Hobbit

My favourite scene is when Aragorn, in TROTK says to the four hobbits: "My friends you bow to no one"
Old 12-07-2004, 09:48 PM   #12
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

One of the most memorable, not my fav, though, scenes is when Pippin sings for the Steward. I mean, it's just so sickening the way he callously tears his food to peices as his son is going to his "death." But, I did think the song was a wonderful touch, the way the voice carried over into the battle scene. Beautiful editing.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:17 AM   #13
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Then you may like this cartoon....
Old 12-08-2004, 01:35 PM   #14
Elvellon
Elf Lord

I specially like Bilbo scenes; they are very good, even if not accurate they do “feel” like Bilbo.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:42 PM   #15
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Well, there's lots of good scenes. Two of my favorite are

The converstation between Pippin and Gandalf about death, in Minas Tirith

Boromir's death scene
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:18 AM   #16
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I also loved the scenes in The Fellowship of the Ring where all the hobbits are in the Shire and they are all happy and peaceful
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 03:55 AM   #17
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvellon
I specially like Bilbo scenes; they are very good, even if not accurate they do “feel” like Bilbo.
I know what you mean. The very beginning of FotR EE is great, when Bilbo begins with "Concerning Hobbits..." He's so peaceful and homey. And the frown that the old, baggy-faced Proutfoot hobbit gives Gandalf is priceless.

Ah, there are lots of things, I'll admit. I like all the little winks that PJ gives the readers. ("A shortcut to what?" "Mushrooms!")

Believe it or not, I even like the fight between the orc captains in Cirith Ungol, and the stunned silence of all the orcs when Gorbag drops from the ceiling in the middle of them with Shagrat staring down.

These are besides all the jokes and all the excellent acting in general, too.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:37 AM   #18
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Then you may like this cartoon....
LOL!! I love Fraud of the Rings!

I loved Boromir's death. I can't believe I didn't mention that before! Sean Bean is totally brilliant as Boromir, and that scene makes me want to cry. The first time I saw it, it brought tears. Same with Gandalf's death. It was so beautifully filmed, that I nearly cried. It didn't matter that I knew he wasn't dead, the rest of the Fellowship thought he was, and you really connect with them in that scene.
Quote:
Old 12-15-2004, 01:00 PM   #19
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

While most of the great scenes have been mentioned I'll go for a more personal one...

When Frodo and Gandalf are riding through the lanes and homes of the Hobbits.

It's not so much the scenes as the mood. I'm grasping at "something more" than just what is on screen, it's that world of quite lanes, stone walls, and lovely gardens that makes me sigh . . .

I'm such a sap, eh? Still, from the moment the music pipes up and we see Frodo reading his book till Gandalf reaches Bilbo's gate......it's simply lovely.

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 04:07 PM   #20
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Fellowship:
The Prancing Pony ("It comes in pints?")
Boromir's death

Two Towers
Sarumann addressing his army
Éowyn's 'wet-panties' scene when she sees Aragorn alive in Helms Deep.

Return of the King
Pippen singing while Faramir rides on Osgoliath.
The rally and ride of the Rohirrim into battle.
Orc invasion of Osgoliath