Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-17-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

The Children of Hurin released today!

Today, the Children of Hurin was released (Tuesday 17th April 2007), and it is set to be one of the most hyped things within the Tolkien community since we heard that movies were going to be made of the books, as it will finally allow us to view a masterpiece, that has previously been fragmented, as one complete story.

A link to a report on the book: http://www.glyphweb.com/ARDA/default.asp

I have ordered the book, and should hopefully arrive tomorrow. Once i have a chance, i will write a book report on it, and post it on this wonderful site first.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I admit going shopping today with (aside from a few other things I needed) the new book in mind. Of course I realise that releasing the book does not equal getting the book on the shelf the same day. So I did what I have never done before and reserved a copy, which should be available somewhere this week. (The guy from the shop definitely was a fan too.) I don't think I'll read it immediately, though.

It's probably going to take a massive reorganisation of my book shelves to get this book with the other Tolkien books and the Children of Húrin's not my favourite silmarillion story. But like hell am I going to miss out on this.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Cool, jammi, look forward to reading your review.

Not sure if I'll buy it as I already have Unfinished Tales, which has much of Narn i Hin Hurin in it.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 04-17-2007 at 09:32 AM.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
jammi567

Yeah, but it also uses other elements from the History's, so it will be fuller and much more detailed then that (in fact, at a last count, someone said that the actual story is about 200 pages, not including the intoductions and appendices).
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'll wait for the reviews here - I'm pretty sure I have all the various versions already, and it's not one of my favorites, either.

I wish there was more on Gondolin ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
jammi567

There's always hope.... (although, saying that, it's the least favorite of the three greats, with Beren and Luthien being second).

Old 04-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Well, it's my favorite!

Turin was one of the more "real" characters and, while I've read Unfinished Tales, this one sounds as if it's a bit more polished.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I'm going to Barnes and Nobles today to get it too! (Among other things, such as reserving Harry Potter 7!)

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #9
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
Well, it's my favorite!
Then you should definitely take a look at HoME III, The Lays of Beleriand, and read The Lay of the Children of Húrin.

Here's a bit from where Túrin is forced to leave his mother:

Quote:
... Then in Túrin leapt
his awakened heart, and he wept blindly,
calling 'I cannot, I cannot leave thee.
O Morwin, my mother, why makest me go?
Hateful are the hills where hope is lost.
O Morwin, my mother, I am meshed in tears.
Grim are the hills, and my home is gone.'
And there came his cries calling faintly
down the dark alleys of the dreary trees,
and one who wept weary on the threshold
heard how the hills said 'my home is gone.'

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #10
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I've read all the HoME books a few times, so this is all that's left.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:51 PM   #11
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I have to admit it will take me a while to get around to reading this.

But here's another article on it from the CBC.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 04-17-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:07 AM   #12
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Christopher Tolkien spent 30 years studying his father's manuscripts and putting this together. I'm certainly quite curious .

I'm looking forward to hearing the opinions of all here who read it, when you're done.

I'm pretty slow about buying things, because I have a routine that doesn't include buying, and I don't tend to change my ways quickly. Pretty lame, but that's me. I'll probably get around to it eventually though, if folk here give it strong reviews.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 04-18-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #13
jammi567

I got the book today! However, i haven't read the actual story yet, only the introduction, and some of the appendices. The introduction is really good, as it allows a newcomer to understand the contex in which the story is being set. The appendices, for those interested in it, have a detailed summery of how the work because the form it is today, as well as the changes made from the Narn to the actual book.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:35 PM   #14
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

The bookstore finally had it out - I just picked it up tonight.

I'll start reading it on my commute tomorrw. Don't worry - I'm taking the el, not my car.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:25 AM   #15
frodosampippinmerry
Hobbit

What's it

What is Children of Hurin? Is it a "remake" of the Silmarillion? will I be buying something I already have by buying it with the Silmarillion
frodosampippinmerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:12 AM   #16
Peter_20
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodosampippinmerry
What is Children of Hurin? Is it a "remake" of the Silmarillion? will I be buying something I already have by buying it with the Silmarillion
There is indeed a chapter of this tale in The Silmarillion, but The Children of Húrin tells the tale in full, with details, whereas the chapter in The Silmarillion is told very, very briefly.

This is exactly like buying The Lord of the Rings after reading the chapter "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" in The Silmarillion.

Last edited by Peter_20 : 04-19-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Peter_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

The BF bought it for me today, and I've read the first chapter, plus preface & intro. How exciting to see my favouritest tolkien story brought to light like this! Weeeee!!!!

*is SUCH a Turin fangirl.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:07 AM   #18
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Strider

Got it today, just finished reading the intro. To siked right now...

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #19
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I'm about a third of the way through the book--which I think I said once I would not read.. but.. "doth not the appetite alter?"

I like it so far. It's very descriptive; not as engaging as LoTR in the writing style, but still very interesting. It makes the world of that Age come to life in a way that the abbreviated version in the Silly doesn't do. Very cool.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:44 PM   #20
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Oh, poo-poo you people. I love this story. It's so tragically beautiful, and tragedy touches me like few other things can. Oh, the catharsis!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote