Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-08-2001, 12:06 AM   #1
Varda
Elven Warrior

poetry

how many of you guys like poetry, either to read or write it. i like writing it but am very ignorant about poets. i know the basics you learn in school such as frost, hughes, whitman and more... i also like rumi if you guys have heard of him. here is a rumi poem that i have in my AIM info:

"Our garden is filled with nightengales,
The crows have flown away.
Now we can see the flowers of your garden.
Like a lily we come out of ourselves,
Like a babbling brook
we dance from one paradise to the next." --Rumi
Old 11-24-2001, 12:19 AM   #2
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I'm a complete poetry freak. I've been seriously writing poetry since seventh grade, and I write it constantly. Whenever I'm bored during classes or at home, I'll just start scrawling words in the margins of paper, and sometimes they happen to actually convey an important message using creative images. My oldest poetry is awful, but lately I've written a lot of stuff that I really like.

I love to read poetry too. I haven't read lots, just what I've read at school or discovered via the internet and/or old books lying around the house. Probably the coolest (and the most difficult) poet I've read is T.S. Eliot. It's the kind of stuff that you can read ten times and still not get every single layer of metaphor. Other cool poets: Yeats, Poe, Tennyson, Frost, Blake, and Li Qingzhao, a Chinese poet from the Song dynasty. Look her up under a search engine; she's really cool!

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 01:39 AM   #3
ringbearer
Elf Lord

I like good poetry...like Poe and T.S. Eliot, as well! "The Hollow Men" is great...my favs are "The Raven" and "The Bells" by Poe. It seems to me that good poetry is "a lost art" though, as I haven't enjoyed much contemporary works!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 10:58 PM   #4
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

One of my favorite poems is Emily Dickenson's "If You Were Coming in the Fall."

I can't find it right now. I"ll post it later if I figure out what I did with it.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:50 PM   #5
Thorongil
Hobbit

just three words...........Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Thorongil men called him in Gondor,the Eagle of the star, for he waskeen eyed, and wore a silver star upon his cloak, but none knew his true name nor in what land he was born.He came to Ecthelion from Rohan, where he had served King Thengel, but he was not one of the Rohirrim. He was a great leader of men, by land or sea,but departed into the shadows whence he came, before the days of Ecthelion were ended.
Thorongil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 02:01 AM   #6
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I love poetry, both reading and writing. My favorites are Poe (the Raven), Dickinson (many!), and Whitman (O Captain! My Captain!). Shelley and Frost are also good.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 10:30 PM   #7
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I'm a poetry freak! I love Emily Dickinson.

I'm afraid I'm a victim of 'bad teenage poetry' though. A lot of my older stuff is angsty, and I haven't written much as of late...I did write a very good one called "Superficial" once. Well, I got a lot of nice comments on it...it's only like, ten words.
Old 02-01-2002, 06:39 PM   #8
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I've written poetry since the first grade; am still really into it.
I like quoting poetry, be it original or somebody else's, to add to whatever I'm trying to say.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 03:43 PM   #9
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

I relly like poetry, reading and writing it. Only last year did I really start getting serious about writing it, and one of my poems has been published, which I was very excited about. If you'd like to see one of my poems, go to the A Poem thread in Gen. Messages. Oh, and all you poetry freaks out there, check out , you can win money for your poetry, and that's how mine got published!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 07:01 PM   #10
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Just checked out poetry.com, and you'll never believe my luck . . . my poem's too long. GRRRRR!!!

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 11:37 PM   #11
galadriel88

*shrugs* Write another one, I guess. I feel your pain!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
Old 02-22-2002, 01:16 AM   #12
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

i guess we should call them: limericksonly.com
(speaking of which, I'm itching to do another one on that thread)

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 08:41 PM   #13
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Robert Frost..

One of My Favorites:

Some say the world will end in Fire
Some say in Ice
From what I've tasted of Desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
but If it had to perish twice
I think I know enough of hate
to say for that destruction; Ice
is also great and would suffice

____

I don't know if I got that all right

I also like Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Paul Reveres Ride which I painstakingly typed out on another thread.

I'm writing a poem now about a kid who gets made fun of in elementary school and as a result his life is ruined... I have (cough) one stanza (cough)..

Andew Maan was 6 years old
A small but healthy boy
Who 4 weeks ago had been enrolled
To a small school in Illinois

__
I'm kinda stuck there
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 10:47 PM   #14
galadriel88

Carden, I thought you said you wrote that Paul Rever's Ride thing!

Old 02-22-2002, 11:36 PM   #15
Alethes
Enting

I don't like all poetry, but I like certain poems, such as:
Fire and Ice
We Are Seven (I think that's the name)
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Opportunity
The Glove and the Lions
Lady of Shalot (one of my favorites)
Flanders Fields
The Fool's Prayer (another one of my favorites)
The Quarrel
On the Vanity of Earthly Greatness
If

Some of those are probably pretty obscure; I got several of them from my literature book (school book). There are others I like, but I can't think of any more right now.

As for writing, I've written a couple of poems for school assignments or for contests, but they aren't really emotional poems. They're basically rhyming essays or forced semi-creativity. In other words, I'm not a very good poem writer.
-Proverbs 22:11

Last edited by Alethes : 02-22-2002 at 11:37 PM.
Alethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 12:10 AM   #16
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Try Stephen Crane (umm . . . who am I talking to?). He's got some really good and thoughtful poems. One of my favorite poets.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 02:50 PM   #17
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

It's a pretty famous piece of work Galadriel. It was a joke. A few posts later I informed everyone of that sorry for the confusion.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 03:45 PM   #18
galadriel88

Oh, OK! *feels extremely stupid for not recognizing it*

Old 03-25-2002, 11:33 AM   #19
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I'm not really a poetry fan except for Tolkien of course. I don't really like to write it either, but I tried to make up a Twelve days of Christmas song, LOTR style. It didn't really work.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 09:45 AM   #20
silmälasi
Hobbit

i think poetry is important ,most people tend to ignore poetry .but to be a true poet one has to be able to crystallize ones thoughts. i personally love japanese poems for their ultimate clearness. also i like the works of john keats ,percy bysshe shelley and t.s. elliot and i have to mention a native poet of finland Aaro Hellaakoski whose powerful poem hauen laulu made an everlasting impression on me when i heard it recited by the poet himself on a tape. i will write the whole poem here. its in finnish. kosteasta kodostaan nous hauki puuhun laulamaan kun puhki pilvien harmajain jo himersi päivän kajo ja järvelle heräsi nauravain lainehitten ajo nous hauki kuusen latvukseen punaista käpyä purrakseen lie nähnyt kuullut haistanut tai kävyn päästä maistanut sen aamun kasteen kostean loiston sanomattoman kun aukoellen luista suutaan longotellen leukaluutaan niin villin-raskaan se virren veti että vaikeni linnut heti kuin vetten paino ois tullut yli ja yksinäisyyden kylmä syli. there it was.plus of course i have to mention KALEVALA the national poem of finland of which Tolkien himself was very fond of. POETRY IS BEAUTY CONCENTRATED.