Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

What's up in Europe?

Hey European Entmooters: Curious... I'm gathering that many in Europe are getting tired of the EU. Is that the case? If so - how do you see this playing out, or how would you LIKE to see it play out?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I'm not sure if we're getting tired of it, and how many people we would be talking about. But I do think euroscepticism is rising in some places. It'll be interesting in that respect to await the results of the European elections to see how it goes. (Ours were today.)
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #3
Mari
Elf Lady

An a few countries the anti-parties got quite a bit of votes, but IMO it's a bit of nonsense really. Except for perhaps the countries that joined last, there is no way for the others to break away any more. There are too many economical, political, social and justicial "marriages". Just getting out of the economic alliances alone will be too destabilising to the country's economy and the country as a whole.
Those anti-parties know this quite well, but it's easy to get votes by being anti, especially in countries like France and Greek where they had to change some laws or had financial trouble. It's always easy to blame a big faceless tiger like the EU for internal problems. *shrugs*

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

True, in France and Great-Brittain the euro-sceptics have gained quite a bit of seats. (A bit of a misnomer, though, if you ask me. If what they want is a return to complete sovereignty, then they've well and truly passed the stage of sceptism.)

One of the problems the EU has is that it seems too distant. People don't feel like they have any control on it, or that it works in mysterious ways, far above their heads. The whole system is pretty complicated after all. And that doesn't endear the EU to people.

Similarly, in recent years I think the EU hasn't been able to capitalise well on or showcase the benefits it creates for its people. A bit like vaccines: we forget how necessary and useful they are when the problems they've solved are no longer right in front of people. The issues where the EU messes up, or the problems it just can't seem to shake, (and we all can name a few, I'm sure) stay in people's mind a lot longer.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote