Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-12-2002, 08:04 PM   #1
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Europe

More specifically, Spain. I'm going there in June, and was wondering if anyone had tips on packing, blending in and basically what to expect.

I'll be there for eleven days, and I have a very small bag. My mantra is pack light, pack light, pack light, but suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. I am, afterall, a sixteen year old girl, and we are known for overpacking.

I also don't want to appear as a 'gringo turista', so any social taboos would also be nice.

Thanks so much!
Old 05-12-2002, 09:09 PM   #2
webwizard333
Elf Lord

My Spanish teacher just returned from her trip to Spain, so I have a few tips. Try to stay in a hotel that was formerly a castle. The wjole bull sport thing is deteriorating and don't expect much attention given to it; soccer is becoming the predominant sport. The trains are very good, so take advantage of them, they're called AVES and are part of RENFE, which is a sophisticated railroad service (similar to the American Amtrak). If you go to Madrid you may see the Nazi symbol (the name escapes me right now), but don't take offense, it was just a former Christain symbol taken by Hitler. Yes, you can take swords onto planes, but they are sealed tightly and will be cheched. Have fun!
Old 05-13-2002, 04:24 AM   #3
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Samsonite makes wonderfil plastic bags that you put your clothes in and then push out the air -no pumps or vacs needed- They giveyou so much more extra room and your clothes spring back when you open the bags .
No tee's with national slogans or such on them. Solid colors or "normal" type tops are best for blending in.
Beware the attitiude towards women is quite different in Spain also.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:23 PM   #4
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Thanks for the tips. Sadly, I am on a guided tour, so I can't do the castle hotel thing, but I plan to go back, so maybe then!

Yeah, I knew about the regards to women. I also found out that it is considered unladylike to cross your legs in Spain. Only men do that. Hmm.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:33 PM   #5
olsonm
Elf Lord

Don't have any tips. But I hope you have a great time SP!
Old 05-14-2002, 12:27 PM   #6
aldesign
Elven Warrior

There is no way to blend in.
the first few days u will be the milkbottle family, then ull be tanned enough.

Its usualy great weather in Spain, ive been 5times, food is very good. They have loadsa touristy British stuff, but u can also try a little Spanish Food, btw if u have some fish, try SWORDFISH steak, they do it over there a lot, and its very Meaty, not v.fishy. GREAT!

The swimming pools will be ice-cool, but the weather should be hot enough to encourage u to step foot in them, (slowly.)

Put plenty of sun cream on.
Play lots of Pool in bars, with ur dad or bro or someone.

thats aboot it.
As a bloke, i find it easy to pack, but u girls always take too much stuff.

andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 02:52 PM   #7
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

If you plan on visiting any churches be sure to wear something that covers your knees.

If you plan on buying food at noon, bad idea. Many shops (except in the big cities) are closed due to siesta. Better to buy it before hand. We didn't know that on our schooltrip, we nearly starved. But since it's a guided tour, it won't be a problem I think.

Sun cream is a very good idea if you have a pale skin like me. I even managed to get sunburned ears.

I can tell you this: Spanish guys stare . It's annoying at first but you get used to it later.

If you have the time visit Toronto, tonnes of shops selling swords and some for a good price too
Old 05-15-2002, 06:10 PM   #8
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
If you have the time visit Toronto, tonnes of shops selling swords and some for a good price too
I hope I'm not being stupid here. Is there a Toronto in Spain as well? If so, where? I'd think I would have heard if there was.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 11:11 PM   #9
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

It's very possible, Mirrile. There is a Madrid here in Iowa, but it's pronounced differently.

I'm planning on wearing skirts, knee length or longer. Is ankle length too much? And what would make me the most obvious looking tourist? I'm trying to avoid some of that, at least.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:55 AM   #10
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I think you will look like a tourist no matter what, short of buying new (non-tourist i.e. no flamenco outfits) togs when you get there. Just be tasteful, not too flashy, and dress for the weather. When in doubt, covering up is better than being too revealing, so the advice about covering the knees in church sounds right.
Of course, I've never been to Spain, but I've been a tourist. Have fun!
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 01:10 AM   #11
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Have fun! I've never been to Spain, but I've been to Costa Rica and a lot of the same tips apply there. My friend went to Spain last year with my school, and she had a great time!

I think the swords are in Toledo. My friend wanted to get me one but didn't want to try and take it back on a plane!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 02:25 AM   #12
Earniel

Naturally EG is right. I meant Toledo, don't know where that Toronto came from. You'll have to excuse me on that one, I'm having pre-project defending-nerves.

I went to Spain in a bus so I had little problem taking the sword with me. But on a plane, well I can imagine that not being such a good idea right now.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:27 AM   #13
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Good luck defending your project then!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 11:19 AM   #14
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

dont listen to aldesign - eating swordfish is really very unlucky , just ask the swordfish, meat is murder , theyve got lots of orange groves so stick to them ! go and see some flamenco dancing , it is beautiful it has such romance and passion , it really does move you. What you do in spain depends on where you go - like all countries spain has its own problems , but if you are on a package thingy you should be safe - i think you may need a headscarf though if you are going to church type places. please dont get your photo taken by men with donkeys or monkeys as they are (in general) very poorly treated ( the donkeys and monkeys ,not the men ) - and how anybody could consider going to a bull fight is beyond me ! please dont do it ! Sorry to be a bit preachy but the air con has broken at work! The bulls shall have their revenge !!!
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 05:21 PM   #15
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Er...I'm not a vegetarian. We do have the option to go to flamenco or bull fighting, but I'd prefer the flamenco. It's cheaper, and bullfighting disgusts and bores me. We just did a really stupid unit on it in my Spanish class.

The closer I get, the more scared and excited I am!
Old 05-16-2002, 05:40 PM   #16
Earniel

I detest bull fights. In bull fights I supporter for the bull. Go on! Trample that stupid cowardly good for nothing toreador!

Oh before I forget. If you visit Barcelona, look out for your money. Lot's of thiefs there.
Old 05-17-2002, 09:50 AM   #17
aldesign
Elven Warrior

Bull fights,
they are loadsa fun,
its a part of Spanish culture, and its cool to watch]#

ive been to 2 or 3, when i was little,
and i wasnt affended by it.

its quite good entertainment.

andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 11:56 AM   #18
Earniel

You're a troglodite aldesign.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:10 PM   #19
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

old bull fights vs new

I "BELIEVE" that now they drug the bulls and dull their horns is this true?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 12:13 PM   #20
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Can I make a request to agree or disagreee but no ad hominem attacks

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote