Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-22-2003, 08:06 AM   #1
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Belgium, for example, is virtually a satellite of France.
Belgium is NOT a satellite of France, virtually or otherwise. We can think for ourselves and we don't always agree with France.

As for the rest, I agree completely with what Artanis said in her previous post.

Though with 25 members as opposed to the previous 15, it's going to be a tremendous feat to orchestrate the functioning of the European Union. We can expect quite some bumbs on our way there.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:14 AM   #2
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I think Artanis summed it up pretty good there. National interests plays a big role in the EU and will continue to do for quite some time.

I saw the failure of the Constitution coming. You have France and Germany on one side and Spain and Poland on the other. None of these countries wants to see its power in the EU reduced.

In Poland it is political suicide for any politician to make concessions for Germany.
The mayor of Warsaw said that those who even discuss a reduced Polish influence are traitors. The Polish newspapers have headlines which say "Nice or death" (referring to summit in Nice where Poland was guaranteed 27 votes in the EU Council of Ministers, while Germany with a population twice as big as Poland's only got 29 votes).
And in Germany, after Poland stood up for the US in the war in Iraq, many Germans see the Poles as American henchmen.

But at least Chancellor Shröeder and Prime Minister Miller are ready to discuss and debate. Both have assured one another that the polemic will not affect the relations between Germany and Poland.

I read that talks about the Constitution can be held in 2005 at the earliest. So I believe we will have to wait a long time before we see a new Constitution in action.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 12-22-2003 at 10:17 AM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 12:24 PM   #3
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Indeed, Artanis surmised the problem well.

Further, I believe the enlargement was, at this time, a mistake. The reform should have been accomplished before, and only then should we have follow through with the enlargement. Still, most were willing to compromise, and that seems to indicate that the problem will inevitably be solved in the future.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 12:45 PM   #4
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

A lot of people here in the UK regard it as a good thing that the constitutional talks have stalled because they feel it is going ahead too fast.

Not least amongst these is Tony Blair, since he's outwardly pro-Euro but secretly scared to call a referendum and this means that he can put it off indefinitely.

The EU seems like it is trying to walk before it can run, here. A whole bunch of new states are joining up at the same time as they're trying to tighten the integration between member states. Maybe one thing at a time would be best.

For me, there are two things that have to be addressed before we integrate further:

1) The democratic deficit which is at the heart of Europe: it is too remote from individuals, it is manifestly corrupt (its accountants have just refused to ratify its account for the eighth year running, and some countries routinely ignore rulings and agreements without sanction) and it is unaccountable.

2) On a more UK-specific level: the vulnerability of British people to interest rate changes. Here in the UK, we have a much higher level of home ownership, mostly funded by extensive mortgage borrowing (some banks are lending 5x your salary). These people would be really hammered by any interest rate rise.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:38 PM   #5
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
I don't think the quarrel about Iraq is the cause of the problems we see today. The problems with the Iraq issue and the Constitution are rather both symptoms. The European countries seem to have lost their visions. When it comes to action, national interests still weights more than the common good. Schröeder is quite right there, and it goes for all countries.
I wasn't saying it was a result of Iraq. I think it is France and Germany's general attitude - which played out over the Iraq situation and is now playing out in the EU. As I said last year - I feel that Germany and particularly France wants to create a power bloc between themselves and have a stronger influence on the EU.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:41 PM   #6
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellon
Further, I believe the enlargement was, at this time, a mistake. The reform should have been accomplished before, and only then should we have follow through with the enlargement. Still, most were willing to compromise, and that seems to indicate that the problem will inevitably be solved in the future.
Last year I had also said that I felt they were going too fast. That they should get the EU working with a few countries - work out the problems and differences - before accepting new countries. It's much easier to negotiate with a few - then to try getting things done with so many.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-22-2003, 01:50 PM   #7
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Belgium is NOT a satellite of France, virtually or otherwise. We can think for ourselves and we don't always agree with France.
I think what they mean by "satelite of France" is the same way New Jersey is always just considered either part of the New York metropolitan area or the Philadelphia metropolitan area. Everyone just considers New Jersey as a suburb of NY. As a small but powerful state - to a future small but powerful state of the EU - you better fight now - before you lose your identy to that of France.

New Jersey had to take to court a census thing that would have virtually made NJ non-existent. The government puts out reports that companies and others use to determine where to move, where to open up businesses, etc. Southern New Jersey was just going to be wrapped up into the Philadelphia statitics and Northern New Jersey was just going to be wrapped up in the New York City statics. This would mean that no one would even be able to see what NJ has to offer over these two places.

New Jersey does NOT have a unique identity (to the outside world anyway) or really a high self respect because we are stuck between to major metropolitan cities. Philadelphia is far less obnoxious and arrogant though and New York toward New Jersey.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-22-2003 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

*bump*

Don't worry Eärniel, I'll help promote Belgium individualism!

I know cheesed I'd be if Canada were considered a satellite of the USA. Some people already do. *suppresses rage* Don't start with me now JD.

Anyhoo, here's also another thread about the 10 countries that joined the EU in 2004 - 10 Countries admitted to the EU

Now for a general EU discussion... there was a lot of talk of EU policy in the Increased Islamic Influence in European Nations thread, let's continue that here.

Oh yeah... and...

List of Member Countries

Austria
Belgium
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Poland
Portugal
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
The Netherlands
United Kingdom

Applicants
Bulgaria
Croatia
Romania
Turkey
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 01-19-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:25 PM   #9
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
*bump*

Don't worry Eärniel, I'll help promote Belgium individualism!

I know cheesed I'd be if Canada were considered a satellite of the USA. Some people already do. *suppresses rage* Don't start with me now JD.
Sorry - sometimes the truth hurts and Belgium has been acting like the lapdog of France and Germany. Not so much now - but definely last year. I haven't seen much of Belgium on French news much - now they seem to have been pushed aside in favor of Spain for the time being (but the two good ole buddies who want to rule the EU are still hand in hand).

It would be nice if Belgium showed their individualism and didn't just try to ride on the coattails ofit's two big neighbors. Believe me - Belgium will be lost and forgotten once they get their way.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-19-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:36 PM   #10
Jonathan

Quote:
Applicants
Bulgaria
Croatia
Bulgaria
Turkey
You forgot about Romania. Both Romania and Bulgaria will join in 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Sorry - sometimes the truth hurts and Belgium has been acting like the lapdog of France and Germany etc. etc.
Oh please. After the war in Iraq, would you call the UK the lapdog of America? God forbid that the British government did what they thought was right and instead followed the US blindly.

Belgium might share many views with France and Germany. It doesn't make the country a satellite state.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:06 PM   #11
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Oh please. After the war in Iraq, would you call the UK the lapdog of America? God forbid that the British government did what they thought was right and instead followed the US blindly.

Belgium might share many views with France and Germany. It doesn't make the country a satellite state.
Well they were acting more like a satelite state and now that France and Germany have Spain - Belgium seems to have been pushed to the side. So yes - it is different than teh UK and America. For one thing - UK and America aren't part of a single government body like France and Germany and Belgium are. Belgium is perfectly aware where it's bread will be buttered if France and Germany succeed in wrestling contol of the EU.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-19-2005, 07:19 PM   #12
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
You forgot about Romania. Both Romania and Bulgaria will join in 2007.
Oh yeah, cheers. I meant to type "Romania" where I put "Bulgaria" the second time.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #13
Jonathan

Coffeehouse, they purposely and intentionally chose a comparatively and less-charismatic politician. Why a person like Tony Blair didn't end up on the post (albeit his rather heavy support) was in part because a highly influential and powerful president turned out fairly undesirable by the member states. Moreover, I dare say a large part of the European population would feel somewhat uncomfortable waking up one day with a mighty politician running their union that they didn't even elect.

Interestingly however, this hasn't stopped many a European from criticising the decision, saying it is dull and whatnot. But I don't think it is unlikely that we would have whined whoever was elected committee chairman

But picking Van Rumpoy was a strategic choice, especially when considering the aspect of the Lisbon treaty that is to facilitate attendance to the EU's internal politics. Had clout been the only goal, I would have agreed with you on your thoughts about leadership

Last edited by Jonathan : 11-22-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:13 AM   #14
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Considering that in the last two campaigns for the leadership of Europe the leading contenders were Hitler and Napoleon respectively, I'd say dull is good!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Also tall.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
Mari
Elf Lady

So wait, what? The CNA bases an entire article on something 1 quote from a French politician? I hope they checked her claims before publishing that...

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 AM   #17
inked
Elf Lord

Mari, you mean like verifying that the calendar in question actually does leave off the Christian holidays? while including the others?

Or do you mean that they verified the person commenting actually said the comments attributed to her by quotation marks?

Or, could you be straining at gnats and swallowing camels?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #18
Mari
Elf Lady

I meant the first, didn't mean the second and have no idea what you mean by the third
But yeah, in the article there is a sentence about this lady which suggests to me that the entire article is based on what she said. Now, I'm not sure if the protest is also based on what she said, but in any case it seems odd to base anything on something one person said, especially since it just seems illogical for the EU to 'forget' or worse leave Christian holidays off on purpose.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #19
inked
Elf Lord

Ummm, Mari,

"A new 2011-2012 school calendar for children published by a branch of the European Union has omitted references to Christian holidays but has kept its references to prominent Jewish, Hindu, and even Muslims holidays, according to a Catholic news outlet."

Fact.

French politician makes statement.

Remark on the politician, ignore the fact = strain at gnat, swallow camel.

Does that help?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #20
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

People sure get worked up over a printing error...