Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-26-2003, 03:23 AM   #1
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

America the Proud?

For those Americans out there or non- Americans, why should Americans be proud after looking at the United States' history? (For reference look at A People's History...... by Howard Zinn).
Old 08-26-2003, 05:17 AM   #2
Sween
im quite stupid

Lol are you trying to start a fight?

I think america should be equally ashamed and proud of there country as any nation i mean we have all done pretty crappy things in our pasts but also most have done some good stuff! I mean i love my country very much but you know it could be better
Old 08-26-2003, 05:31 AM   #3
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Re: America the Proud?

Quote:
Originally posted by Diaxion
For those Americans out there or non- Americans, why should Americans be proud after looking at the United States' history? (For reference look at A People's History...... by Howard Zinn).
Well, you're probably going to get a whole list of reasons why Americans should be proud, so I'll just say this: they have a lot more basis for pride than a lot of other countries. There's very little need to discuss it, IMO.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 09:14 AM   #4
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Where's jerseydevil when you really need him?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 09:46 AM   #5
Jinnigan
Hobbit

A better question to ask (imo) might be, "Why should /anyone/ take pride in their country, or ethnicity?"

But that's just me. I could be wrong.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:47 AM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
Where's jerseydevil when you really need him?
Don't worry, I have no doubt we shall hear from him.

To answer the question: I think American's are proud for several reasons. First, the US is still a very young country, with many accomplishments for such a short period of time.

The US is free. A democracy based on the constitution laid down by our founding fathers. There is very little you cannot do in the US. The government is not the law, but representatives placed in office, by the people and for the people.

The US is probably the most diverse country in the world.

There is no other place where it is more possible to make your dreams come true, and live a happy, free life. In the US, if you are willing to work for it, you will get it. They even help you to achieve anything. That is why so many people come here from other countries to live.

And, we can kick your butt. (j/k)

On another note: we have not had a good political discussion for a while, so before we really get started in this thread, please remember to keep your cool people. State your views and opinions intelligently. Do not FLAME and NO COUNTRY BASHING Let's keep the discussion polite, and on track.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:35 AM   #7
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
First, the US is still a very young country...
Not young as countries go. I challenge you to find ten countries older than the U.S.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:49 AM   #8
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
Not young as countries go. I challenge you to find ten countries older than the U.S.
I didn't say it was the youngest. I said it is still very young, being only a little over two hundred years old or so. That is young for a country with the achievements of this one.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:09 PM   #9
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
Like, almost all of Western Europe and parts of Eastern Europe?

What is there to be proud of when it comes to the US? Well the US has done some bad things in the past, but also many good things.
Be proud of the good things!

I remember an article in a newspaper about a German politician who had said that he was proud of being German. Many German people reacted, was it correct to be proud of being German after the Nazi regime and all? The Germans caused so much suffering and destruction so many of them don't feel proud of themselves even today.
Well the German politician said something like that he was proud of what the German people had accomplished when it came to e.g. rebuilding the country after WW2, the 'German miracle' etc. There were many reasons for the Germans to be proud of themselves.

My point is that of course you can be proud of your country and people, even though they have done bad things in the past.
Americans, as well as Germans, should be proud.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 08-26-2003 at 01:12 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:44 PM   #10
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well we have to be doing somethings right 'cause the rest of the world is trying to get in, leagally or not.

Perfection is Utopia. Utopia is a concept never realized.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 02:38 PM   #11
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
Perfection is Utopia. Utopia is a concept never realized.
I see someone never been to Amsterdam
Old 08-26-2003, 02:55 PM   #12
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

What does America have to be proud of? Freedom and diversity. Why do so many countries copy us? Why do so many people immigrate here? Yea Rah USA! (So what country is perfect out there? )
Old 08-26-2003, 03:35 PM   #13
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
I see someone never been to Amsterdam
Not true, I've walked to the Dam Square and even through the red light district.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:11 PM   #14
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Diaxon - That book you list - A People's History...... by Howard Zinn - is written by someone who only thinks America hasn't done anything good. I have that book and he's an "America is evil" historian. The funny thing is - he starts out with Christopher Columbus - moves onto slavery. America had NOTHING to do with Christopher Columbus - and America did NOT bring slavery here - America however DID END slavery in the US. We even fought a civil war which threatened to divide and destroy the country. You might want to read Decision in Philadelphia: The Constitutional Convention of 1787 which will show you the fights and arguments between the north and the south during the Constitutional Convention.

You can not look at the past using the morals of today. Slavery was common practice during that time and slavery STILL goes on today in many parts of the world - but yet very few people talk about it. However, every couple of days I hear about how bad America is because we had slavery here - well stop dwelling on the past and let's just learn from it and work toward tomorrow. We can't change the past and America had hardly anything to do with much of the past evils in the world.

America HAS many things to proud of. I can walk out my door and see people of all different nationalities playing basketball together, soccer, etc. I am proud that we have created a country that has made people of different nationalities feel welcome. I am pruoud that I can go to the grocery store and hear 5 different languages being spoken. What other country in the world can you point to where a poor black boy from an immigrant family from Jamaica can grow up to be Secretary of State and run for President like Colin Powell? There are many things for America to be proud of and many things to not be so proud about - like the detention camps for the Americans of Japanese descent.

I might suggest you read other books about America such as What's So Great About America. It's written by Dinesh D'Souza - an immigrant from India. It gives a different perspective from those liberal - "let's blame America" authors and commentators.

America isn't any more terrible than any other country. Look at what England did in it's history, or the Romans, what about the Middle Eastern countries or Australia, every country has something to be ashamed of in their history - just like every person does. But that doesn't mean we haven't done great things too. America's great things far outweigh the bad in my opinion.

I would like to know if you think that I should be ashamed of being an American - because I don't.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-26-2003 at 05:24 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 05:27 PM   #15
support_your_local_elf
Enting

Location: Being one of the two lost souls swimmin in a fish bowl, year after year, runnin over the same old ground.. What have we found? The same old fears..wish you were here...
I agree with Jonathan. I think, that you should be proud of your country, as most, if not all (why do I feel a challenge will arise from this? ), have done things that people should be proud of, but I am not saying all countries are perfect. None are. And, anyway, most people are bias about their country, and they have every right to be. It's like ... if you have children, thinking that your children are probably better than everyone else's. It's jist naturally biased for most people.
-Phil Ochs

The fat hobbit KNOWS!!!
support_your_local_elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 06:17 PM   #16
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I don't have a problem with the US but what I personally don't like is the fact that the Americans always have to point out that everything is possible in their free land and that they can be glad to live in that country. Not that this is a bad statement but I always get the feeling that they say it and mean that they are the only really free land. And that's not true. In most European country people are just as "free" and I think you can make your dreams come true there as well.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:33 PM   #17
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
I don't have a problem with the US but what I personally don't like is the fact that the Americans always have to point out that everything is possible in their free land and that they can be glad to live in that country. Not that this is a bad statement but I always get the feeling that they say it and mean that they are the only really free land. And that's not true. In most European country people are just as "free" and I think you can make your dreams come true there as well.
Well many European countries - such as France - you can not really be French unless your family originates from france. A person from india could not move to France and fully become French. However - anyone can come here - take the citizenship test and become 100% American - the only thing they can not do is become president - but they can run for Congress or any other office (Like Arnold Swartzenagger is running for Governor of California even though he is an immigrant) - how many countries could that happen in?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-26-2003, 06:41 PM   #18
Ruinel
Banned

What Sween said is true, America has done good as well as bad, but mostly good.

America continues to support other countries financially as well as sending people for projects which help their people, and yes, sometimes soldiers are sent to our allies to help them when they need us.

I do not approve of everything my government does, but the people of America are pretty good people, despite what the world thinks of us.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 06:42 PM   #19
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

Well first of all i am proud but i think that compensations need to happen.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:45 PM   #20
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Diaxion
Well first of all i am proud but i think that compensations need to happen.
Compensations for what and to whom?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide