Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #81
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Theres that L word again. But i notice you include hetero and homo in there so that works. And in so doing your point becomes irrelevant to mine which is homosexuality/gay marriage doesnt harm. unsafe sex sure.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 05-12-2005 at 01:26 PM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:22 PM   #82
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

This is a pretty good comparison here - the attitudes about partial birth abortion and gay marriage.

In MY opinion, gay marriage causes harm, so I will vote against it. And if people think that it DOESN'T cause harm, then I would tell them to vote FOR it, because I think ALL people should do what they think is right, regardless of whether they agree with me or not (I'm very openminded and tolerant ). Yet YOU say I shouldn't push my opinion on others by voting the way that I think is right, because I don't have to marry another woman. Let's remember that reasoning and look at the next example...

In YOUR opinion, partial birth abortion causes harm, so you would vote against it. But if other people disagree with you, would you tell them to vote FOR it, as I do with gay marriage? And why shouldn't YOU apply the same standard to yourself that you try to push on me? IOW, why are YOU trying to push YOUR opinion onto others that think partial birth abortion is just fine? YOU don't have to get one; why should you limit the freedom of people that think partial birth abortion is fine? Seems like a double standard to me.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:23 PM   #83
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Hmmm...I came to see and read of any new news about Bendict xvi...but never mind

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:35 PM   #84
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

hey rian i bet i can prove to you that killing a fetus is bad for the fetus. can you prove that two people marrying is bad? if not, apples and oranges...

Old 05-12-2005, 04:46 PM   #85
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

you can prove it to ME, but what about the people that think partial birth abortion is fine? Why should you push YOUR opinion on them? Why not just let them do it if they want to, and not push your opinion on them?

Also, you mentioned pain in abortion. Studies are showing that the fetus can feel pain VERY early on, even in the first trimester. So will you now vote to make ALL abortions illegal as soon as the fetus feels pain?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 05-12-2005, 04:56 PM   #86
Janny
The Blobbit

IR, you used the same argument, so I'm gonna give you the same response.

Condoms could work. If people wear condoms. If I had a hammer, I'd build a fence. If I had any wood.

Last edited by Janny : 05-12-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #87
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
you can prove it to ME, but what about the people that think partial birth abortion is fine? Why should you push YOUR opinion on them? Why not just let them do it if they want to, and not push your opinion on them?

Also, you mentioned pain in abortion. Studies are showing that the fetus can feel pain VERY early on, even in the first trimester. So will you now vote to make ALL abortions illegal as soon as the fetus feels pain?
Im not interested in debating abortion propoganda thanks. And I see you once again chose to ignore the question about the "harm" of gay marriage versus the harm of killing a nine month old fetus. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Do I need to break down the harm of certain death now? This is not even in the same universe as two men marrying. No one dies each and every time that act is performed.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #88
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

While this started as a debate about Pope Benedict and what HE stood for, it's now turning into something that should go in one of the many other threads we have for these two exact topics.

Back on subject, please--move the debate to another thread .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:22 PM   #89
inked
Elf Lord

New POPE likes beer! http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=34727

I was torn between the beer thread and this one, but I figured it was more on topic than my last comment or so !

Here's to a good German beer swilling POPE - check the figures on the amount delivered!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:45 PM   #90
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Holy-! My kinda pope, regardless of beliefs or postition on things!! After all, he likes german beer, 185 gallons of it no less! AVE PAPA!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 05-12-2005 at 11:46 PM.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:55 PM   #91
Janny
The Blobbit

He's Bavarian. Why the surprise?

(Been to Bavaria. Sung there, drank there. All very nice )

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 05:40 PM   #92
inked
Elf Lord

No surprise, really, having known and drunk with a few Bavarians. But maybe he's planning on a meeting with a few Angles and Aussies and just needed to be prepared.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 05-13-2005, 09:08 PM   #93
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
While this started as a debate about Pope Benedict and what HE stood for, it's now turning into something that should go in one of the many other threads we have for these two exact topics.

Back on subject, please--move the debate to another thread .
IRex, I didn't ignore anything - I was busy today (see vent thread) and couldn't respond as much as I wanted to yet. I'll now pick this up on the other thread, but it might not be until Monday - I'm totally wiped out and the son that got that knock on the head has a birthday party tomorrow ...

Old 05-13-2005, 11:35 PM   #94
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
In MY opinion, gay marriage causes harm,
What type of harm?
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:38 PM   #95
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriadoc Brandybuck
The Wizard from Milan: Evil? No. Name one that's actually "evil" and not something that you're for or not for and he was not for/for. (I.e., your religious thoughts don't intervene.)
I'll mention only one but I could mention dozens: during his first travel to Africa he said "go and multiply yourselves" (translating from italian), that is pure evil in countries like the african ones. That is not a point of view, it is morally despicable to promote procreation in countries that are already starving to death.

I notice that nobody has even tried to write one good thing he (purportedly) has done.
EDIT: Tessar has tried. I don't agree in the bit with what he said, but I have to recognize that he tried.

Last edited by The Wizard from Milan : 05-13-2005 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:43 PM   #96
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Lifestyle, in other words, non-chaste/non-monogamous sexual intercourse results in STDs for heterosexuals and homosexuals.
As I pointed out ad nauseam, working is extremely risky too and still we do it. Most eating is downright irresponsible. Let's not even start talking about driving, according to your logic people who drive should be put into jail as a preventive measure
Old 05-14-2005, 02:48 AM   #97
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
No surprise, really, having known and drunk with a few Bavarians. But maybe he's planning on a meeting with a few Angles and Aussies and just needed to be prepared.
Nothing like kicking back with German beer. I could go through just about anything if I had a pint or two of it! Aye singing drunkenly with a bunch of doughty Bavarians is perhaps one the funnest memory I have.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 02:05 PM   #98
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

So what are your thoughts on the sped-up process of turning the last pope into a saint? Only the Pope has the right to speed up the process that normally should take a few years (and a miracle!). So far this fast-saint-procedure has only been done once, with Mother Theresa.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:54 PM   #99
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well I understand this P. was very close with the last P. and I think that will have some bearing. CNN just had a report saying the investigating body has to find two miracles attributed to him. Not being a Catholic, I don't understand the whole thing anyway.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:05 AM   #100
inked
Elf Lord

TWFM,
You're just upset he's not Italian! Oh, and that he still categorizes as sin what the Church has always categorized as sin - whether same-sex or opposite-sex! Is there anything else, except complaint on these grounds?

And, by the way, neither JPII or B16 are responsible for Africa's problems, as you imply. That would be largely due to a number of leaders who have their own morality and act accordingly. Which, as I recall, you endorse yourself for yourself. So where do you get off judging anyone......unless there is a common morality to which you appeal,...hmmmmmmmmmm?