Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-21-2005, 02:28 PM   #41
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

now, he didn't say Pope on a rope , transitional most likely as my friends who are practicing Catholics do not want another Pope to reign as long as the last one and they figured the CC would elect an older man. I guess they got it right.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 04:17 PM   #42
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Hm, Ratzinger was not my favourite choice for the new pope. Much too conservative which will IMO only set the catholic church backward instead of forward. But too soon to say for if he will also be so conservative as pope. We'll see.

But if was rather funny to see how relieved our cardinal Danneels was that he himself wasn't chosen. He was actually so very relieved! Not that he should have worried, coming from Belgium with our legalisation of euthanasia, abortus, gay marriage AND a continuing diminishing of callings would have sunk any chance to become pope anyway. Although I think he could have been a good, if not rather progressive, pope. It was quite funny, shortly before the cardinals stopped talking to the press he was giving an interview and the reporter asked if he wanted to be pope. And Daneels answered with such conviction: "Madam, no one wants to be pope! Oh, no."

Edit: I miss-spelled the good cardinal's name. *facepalm*

Last edited by Earniel : 05-08-2005 at 07:33 AM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 04:43 PM   #43
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

That's an interesting quote from Daneels! That's probably a good point for someone to be a pope - that they don't want to be. IOW, they're not power-hungry.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:11 PM   #44
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

One of the first actions of the new Pope has now occurred, being condemnation of the gay marriage acceptance law in Spain.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:45 AM   #45
inked
Elf Lord

Note to Lief's post, see these reports:

Click here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4473001.stm

Click here for global view: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4081999.stm

Further discussion on this topic should probably move to the marriage thread (talk about revivifications! )!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 04-23-2005 at 11:47 AM.
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:22 AM   #46
emily leonard
Enting

is it just me or dose is this pope look like a zomby or alian its the eyes and the smile
emily leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 02:44 PM   #47
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Eh, actually I disagree--he's much healthier and vibrant looking than JPII was.

And anyways, who needs to be a hunk when you're the POPE?! I mean c'mon!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:14 PM   #48
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

To be fair, the late Pope was ill for some time, he did look well for over two decades.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:24 PM   #49
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

*nod* I meant JPII near the end. It was very sad to see him change from being so healthy and strong to unable to even stand .
Old 05-01-2005, 04:28 PM   #50
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

That was the lesson in humility and dying with dignity that I felt he was giving the faithful; and I'm not of his faith. He just had such a strong will and a grace about him that I couldn't fathom my ever going through all that as well as he did.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:33 PM   #51
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

*nod* I have a really strong feeling he's gonna be named a saint. I really hope so, because of all the good he's done for the world.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:34 PM   #52
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Alas, the days of the "pope-mobile" is over. I just find it interesting to see that the old pope fought against the Nazis (through peaceful means, he didn't take up a gun) but the new one WAS a Nazi. And I do realize that the two were good friends and respected eachother highly.... I just got a laugh out of it. Ah well, Not catholic, so I dont really care all that much.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:44 PM   #53
inked
Elf Lord

Conscripted into Hitler Youth, yes. So was every other male child his age.
Nazi, no. There is a difference despite the glib characterizations of disappointed western journalists and "progressive" Roman Catholic critics in America and Western Europe.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:51 PM   #54
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Conscripted into Hitler Youth, yes. So was every other male child his age.
Nazi, no. There is a difference despite the glib characterizations of disappointed western journalists and "progressive" Roman Catholic critics in America and Western Europe.

Amen.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:25 PM   #55
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
*nod* I have a really strong feeling he's gonna be named a saint. I really hope so, because of all the good he's done for the world.
Give me one example. I personally don't think he has done any good in papacy. It is easy to come up with examples of evil things he has done.
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:28 PM   #56
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard from Milan
Give me one example. I personally don't think he has done any good in papacy. It is easy to come up with examples of evil things he has done.

How about you give what you consider an evil thing done by the past Pope.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:19 PM   #57
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Speaking solely as a devils advocate (I certainly dont believe John Paul was evil and that he certainly had a good heart) many have already stated how having the Chairman & CEO of the Catholic Church make decrees about contraception being bad in an age of widespread AIDS in many countries is tantamount to pushing genocide. But then what can you do. As a Catholic he has to be against such things. Its doctrine. Even though the right thing to do would be to do whatever it takes to counter the spread of death bringing sexually transmitted disease. And one could make the argument of well hes only speaking to catholics. And non-catholics simply cannot expect the figure head of an entire religion to espouse things that go against significant beliefs of said religion even if it would be the proper thing to do and even if it would save many millions of lives. Life is about suffering and death according to christianity after all. So allowing death is not the ultimate sin. So as much as i disliked it I never really blamed him. What can you do. As a non catholic you simply can NOT impose your own values and logic onto what the catholic can do. In much the same way as as a catholic (or any kind of christian) you really shouldnt be imposing YOUR values on any secular situation like say... what to teach in public school... or who can marry... but eh nevermind that now.

And all that being said John Paul certainly DID do a lot of good and insprining things that made a difference for millions.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:14 PM   #58
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Actually you put it very well.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:19 PM   #59
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Know what would really save lives? If people would stop having sex with every person they get drunk with. JPII couldn't do anything about the fact that people have no self control.

Some people give him credit for helping to bring down the Berlin Wall.

The fact that, even though he was largely disabled, he continued on in a position of global power untill the moment of his death inspires many elderly people to realize that their life is worth something, and that they can still have an infulence.

I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to defend him to you--you're not a catholic so I fail to see why it should matter to you, and you clearly dislike the church.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:23 PM   #60
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

.."hear, hear" . (English praise)