Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-24-2005, 07:02 AM   #121
Millane
The Dude

ohhhh its ssoooooo good, dont wait BoP, **** exams
im only about 350 pages into it, and i wont say to much about it but ill spoilerise it anyway...
its a bit wierd to start off with, a lot of chapters from characters who havent had chapters before, and not so many from older characters arya and sansa have had 2 and Cersei's had a couple and Brienne, but thats about it. There have been some awesome chapters, the Kingsmoot to see who will replace Balon, a nice prologue in Oldtown, and my favourites of all, Arya in Braavos becoming a faceless man!!!!! Wish thered been a bit more Tyrion in the story though, theres been nothing except for Cersei bitching about him, and since when has Cersei been madly in love with Rhaeger?

anywho ill finish the book and then write a bit more...
Old 10-24-2005, 03:04 PM   #122
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Last time I did that, I almost failed... It'll be my reward for all this crap work. Which reminds me, better get back to it.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:10 PM   #123
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

At least you got it, BoP. Still a week until I can even think of affording to get myself a copy. :-/ Must...resist...spoilers...

Last edited by Falagar : 10-24-2005 at 03:12 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:46 AM   #124
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, it turns out that my exam isn't until NEXT friday (4th nov). Now all I have to do is persuade the BF to tell me where he hid the book. Hmm... perhaps I'll try sexual favours.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:19 AM   #125
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

I've already read the first one. I liked it very much, though I fancy WoT But I think I will read it trough later. I have some other books to read now.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:49 AM   #126
Millane
The Dude

not to many spoilers but anyway...
id forgotten that he was splitting this book differently to Storm of Swords, and half of the characters are in this one and half in the next one hence why i was feeling a bit lost about half the characters and stories not being there
i tend to think that it might have been better if hed just split the story in half like SoS rather than just put half the characters in one book half in another. it could be good when the next one comes out (next year my arse ) but its just annoying me having waited so long to not have a single Tyrion chapter or anything to do with Stannis or the Wall or Dany...
im predicting the next book will be much better than this one...
as for this book, still not done but its had its fair share of awesomeness. the new High Septon seems pretty fanatical and funky, Arya is just ****ing cool, Briennes chapters (so far) tend to get a little boring, Cersei is just becoming more messed up, and Jaime's chapters havent been to eventfal either...
hopefully able to finish it this weekend...
Old 12-07-2005, 05:19 PM   #127
Jabberwock
Enting

Feast for Crows

I'm just about through Feast for Crows and it hasn't disappointed me in the least. The good thing is that next year we get Dance of Dragons because he had to split Feast for Crows into two books due to length issues. This new book is just as good as the others so it's nice to know 3 years wait hasn't been for nothing.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:26 PM   #128
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

I think a lot of people believe that nothing much happened in this book, but to me it seems that so much was built up for the next one (okay, the one after the next ). I'm glad we got to see Dorne, though.

And I'm wondering if the Lannister twins are really Lannisters... once could have been a fluke, but I caught two allusions that Jaime wasn't Tywin's son: Genna's words and then the dream with Joanna.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:22 PM   #129
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Great series, however I'm disappointed at how long it for the feast of the crows to come out and from what I here it wasn't worth the effort; I know he likes detail but it was probably over done. I'll wait for it on paper back.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:17 PM   #130
BelegS
Enting

Quote:
from what I here it wasn't worth the effort; I know he likes detail but it was probably over done. I'll wait for it on paper back
Eh. Obviously it's up to you, but for what it's worth, I thought the book was excellent and moved the story forward very nicely.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:58 PM   #131
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

ok belegS, but I'll stilll wait for it on paperback (cause I'm broke).

...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
Old 12-27-2006, 01:21 AM   #132
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Aha! Found you, elusive GRR Martin thread! And only for the sole purpose of saying...

I'VE READ THE FIRST BOOK, AND I LOVE IT!!
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #133
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

It's an awesome series with the potential to be the best among modern fantasy series. A talented writer with the ability to self-edit in a way you don't find too often among even good writers. Very few dull moments.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:44 PM   #134
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Indeed, and I love the way he sets up the characters and their beliefs...I love the Starks, BTW...there's just something extremely awesome about their whole...flavor, if you will. Winter is coming...love it! My favorite scene so far was when Ned went down to the crypts at Winterfell...I felt that captured the essence of the North perfectly!
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:01 AM   #135
The Telcontarion

Welcome to the club, and wait unti you actually read the other books. awesome series indeed.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:51 PM   #136
Falagar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
Indeed, and I love the way he sets up the characters and their beliefs...I love the Starks, BTW...there's just something extremely awesome about their whole...flavor, if you will. Winter is coming...love it! My favorite scene so far was when Ned went down to the crypts at Winterfell...I felt that captured the essence of the North perfectly!
Agreed. Ned is one of my favorite characters in any fantasy-series ever.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:06 PM   #137
BelegS
Enting

Arya > Bran > Jon > Lyanna > Benjen > Rickon > Eddard > Sansa.

All of 'em are pretty awesome though, with the exception of Sansa. Arya is the greatest character I have ever encountered in fiction.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:49 AM   #138
Falagar

Pfft, Sansa ftw.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #139
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I've just started these books, little Bran has been pushed off the building, and I am HOOKED. This is a really good book. I'm staying away from this thread until I've gotten through the series, to avoid spoilers. Martin is an excellent writer.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #140
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

I recently bought the fourth book, so I started by re-reading the first one for the second time. I am almost done with it. Peace.