Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-11-2003, 09:03 PM   #81
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

are you kidding

Why are you back, BB?

i hope that i can say i know a few things about making movies (or god help you all when i start making REAL ones.)

while i know that it is impossible to turn a movie page for page onto the screen, there are some sacred things that are appalling to behold when altered.
Take the movie holes for example, BB. they turned that book straight into a movie. it was an awesome movie...... if you'd read the book.
Why am i acting like im on your side, BB?
I am trying to show you, [edited] , that i understand that movies made from books have to be changed to make them appeal to the general public. (who's average reading level is that of a first grader)

but like i said. some changes are completely unacceptable.
Sauron and aragorn should not fight. that's end of story. no one cares when something sacred is sacrificed for the masses' pleasure.
will it create drama and action and be exciting? of course it will that's why he is putting it in there.
burning down a church is also excitng and full of drama. but you don't cheer when your local temple/mosque etc is up in flames. (at least i hope not)

good lord, this thread makes me sick. really. it's bad enough, but your presence here makes me physically ill.

edited by azalea for use of inappropriate phrase.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:19 PM   #82
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Back in Business!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:00 AM   #83
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreran the Green
Okay, I can live with that.

Ya know, all this stuff sorta makes you wonder, why didn't chris tolkien direct the movies or something? The guy's still alive, right?
That's a much better idea. Hopefully he will one day.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:42 AM   #84
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Re: are you kidding

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
I am trying to show you...that i understand that movies made from books have to be changed to make them appeal to the general public. (who's average reading level is that of a first grader) but like i said. some changes are completely unacceptable. Sauron and aragorn should not fight. that's end of story. no one cares when something sacred is sacrificed for the masses' pleasure.
Hello Luthien Tinuviel. First off, thank you for your heartfelt words. I've missed you too.

Second, be careful, Ms. Nose-in-the-Air---you are showing your elitist prejudices again.

Third, Sauron and Aragorn DO FIGHT in LOTR. It's not literal hand-to-hand combat, but the two most certainly are pitted against each other. So what's so wrong about showing Sauron at the scene of the battle for crying out loud? If you purists are so upset about it, what makes it so wrong? And please give me more than "b-b-but he wasn't there in the book!"
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 09:11 AM   #85
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

BB, even if it doesn't happen in the film you can always pretend with your action figures - some people require a little more intellectual depth than you when watching films BB, get over it.

Last edited by squinteyedsoutherner : 05-12-2003 at 09:35 AM.
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 09:12 AM   #86
Ruinel
Banned

!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
...Third, Sauron and Aragorn DO FIGHT in LOTR. It's not literal hand-to-hand combat, but the two most certainly are pitted against each other. So what's so wrong about showing Sauron at the scene of the battle for crying out loud? If you purists are so upset about it, what makes it so wrong? And please give me more than "b-b-but he wasn't there in the book!"
If you don't have a reasonable argument, don't flame LT.

The whole point of Sauron being behind the scenes is because that is his method of operation,
EDITED
. See? He does not come out and fight hand to hand with someone. That would be foolish and risky. Instead, he works his lies and corrupts others to do his bidding for him.
EDITED
That is far more evil than standing before your enemy with weapon in hand,
EDITED
. And he learned this from his master, Melkor... who only rarely met anyone face to face in combat, and only when he knew he had little or no risk to himself.

But Hollywood has to make the assumption that the masses would not understand this form of fighting. Much like you, BB, they do not see that the truely evil leaders in actual history did not stand on the battlefield and risk their lives in hand to hand combat, but had legions do it for them, they were cowards. They won't make the link in their small, limited minds... just like you won't
EDITED
... that truely evil leaders delight in the pleasure of other's dying for their twisted cause, and the power this gives them over other's lives.

This is what Tolkien understood, and wrote about. That you apparently do not understand, although you claim to have read the books. That truely evil beings work their evil through the corruption of others, standing back watching their plan unfold, reaping the glory with no risk to themselves.

Last edited by Ruinel : 05-12-2003 at 03:20 PM.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 01:05 PM   #87
Beren, Son of Barahir
Sapling

Strider Theater Fire

Honestly I thought it could not get any worse than the Elves at Helms Deep and leaving out Tom but this is by far the worse! If Sauron appears at the end instead of the Mouth of Sauron I swear to God I'm going to pour kerosine all over the people in the movie and ignite the place in a fiery blaze. Sauron could not show himself at Mordor because if he did he would stand a chance in being killed by perhaps Gandalf or Aragorn as many would think. Sauron's trump card is that he has been defeated many times but always was defeated from his throne and thus he could just go hiding away and right yet again for a time to return. He did not want to take any chances before which is why he had the Naz'gul retrieve the ring for him. He knew once he got it back nothing would stand in his way so why bother risking it?

While your at it why not just have Aragorn run into Mordor with that "click click boom" er whatever song playing as Legolas use 4 Orc nuts and a Hobbit as a skateboard while grinding misc mountain edges. Than have Gimli tumble town like the bumbling idiot that the movie has portrayed him to be. And right before Aragorn "kills" Sauron he says "Game over beeeaattcchh". And thus ending the movie and putting to shame one of the greatest stories of all time.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:35 PM   #88
Ruinel
Banned

LOL! Oh, damn... LOL! I was thinking maybe Aragorn could be dressed in fatigues with a vest full of grendades tossing them off left and right at the hordes of Orcs running at him from all directions, sending them flying throught the air with loud pyrotechnics!!!! Then he meets up with Sauron... looks down his 45 and squeezes off an array of bullets one after the other into his chest, saying "Hasta la vista, baby!" Then the camara pans to Sauron's bullet ridden body as he gasps desperately for his last breath, Aragorn looks down and spits on him.

...........cool.

Last edited by Ruinel : 05-12-2003 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:37 PM   #89
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

hmmmm.... then viggo mortensen would have to be replaced with arnie.... if that was going to happen
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 02:25 PM   #90
Ruinel
Banned

Ah, nah... surely Viggo could adjust to the roll.

And surely this little change would be an improvement to Tolkien's silly, little adventure.... wouldn't it, BB?

.................................................. ...............(smell the sarcasm)
Old 05-12-2003, 02:36 PM   #91
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hey! Ruinel, this is the second thread I've come across your offensive "spoilers" . Quit it!

Last edited by Lizra : 05-12-2003 at 02:38 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 02:44 PM   #92
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
LOL! Oh, damn... LOL! I was thinking maybe Aragorn could be dressed in fatigues with a vest full of grendades tossing them off left and right at the hordes of Orcs running at him from all directions, sending them flying throught the air with loud pyrotechnics!!!! Then he meets up with Sauron... looks down his 45 and squeezes off an array of bullets one after the other into his chest, saying "Hasta la vista, baby!" Then the camara pans to Sauron's bullet ridden body as he gasps desperately for his last breath, Aragorn looks down and spits on him.

...........cool.
If you wanted gratuitous violence, you should model Aragorn after the "Punisher".

Sincerely,
Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 03:15 PM   #93
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I think Arwen should run off with Frodo right before the wedding. Pippen gets in a drunken bar fight with Denethor. Maybe Sam should Matrix fight with Gollum on Mt. Doom. The Nazgul could be on primative monster cars ala Road Warrior. Frodo finds out that Mt. Doom is actually a doomsday machine that is operated by the ring. The plains of Gorgoroth could be filled with giant sand worms which Sam and Frodo ride to the top of Mt. Doom.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 03:24 PM   #94
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Hey! Ruinel, this is the second thread I've come across your offensive "spoilers" . Quit it!
Yeah, you are right. *hangs head in shame* I apologize. I've edited myself. I'm having a bad day, but that's no excuse. See my sig? I'm trying not to flame, one post at a time. Hope you forgive me.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:29 PM   #95
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Remember...We come here for fun! Cheer up!
Old 05-12-2003, 03:48 PM   #96
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
I think Arwen should run off with Frodo right before the wedding. Pippen gets in a drunken bar fight with Denethor. Maybe Sam should Matrix fight with Gollum on Mt. Doom. The Nazgul could be on primative monster cars ala Road Warrior. Frodo finds out that Mt. Doom is actually a doomsday machine that is operated by the ring. The plains of Gorgoroth could be filled with giant sand worms which Sam and Frodo ride to the top of Mt. Doom.
Lol, that is so funny! I think the mooters should get together and do an action parody.

In response to your question on the previous page, yes, technically I'm supposed to moderate the spoilers too, but I can usually tell by just opening a little bit of the spoiler thingy whether it's a true spoiler or not, and if it is I could ask another mod to look at it, who doesn't care about being spoiled.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 03:56 PM   #97
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
..........dude! righteous! Maybe more of the other characters could be involved in the bar fight.... a huge drunken brawl that smashes up the bar then spills out into the streets of Gondor... dude!!! Rock on!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
If you wanted gratuitous violence, you should model Aragorn after the "Punisher".
Well... then we'd have to make a few changes. But I'm sure it would be up PJ's alley.

First, Aragorn and Arwen get married, have a son. Sauron kills them (wife and son) in a senseless violent killing spree intended to punish Aragorn for his insolence in defying Sauron. Aragorn vows revenge and finally, after tracking down Sauron like a hell bent dog finds him... and his lackey Grima. After a bloody knife fight with Grima, beating Grima down, Aragorn pulls out a flamethrower and incinderates Grima where his broken body lays crumpled in a heap on the floor. Then he goes after Sauron, who has already pulled out an Uzi and has begun firing at Aragorn. Aragorn miraculously avoids the fray of bullets, diving, rolling then pulling out a 45, he then pumps Sauron full of lead. ... then he spits on him.
Is that better?
Old 05-12-2003, 04:56 PM   #98
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

nah.... arwen should still go off with frodo... and i'm too tired to comment any furthur otherwise all you'll get is must sleep...... bed.... to.... sleep
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:05 PM   #99
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith_Elf
nah.... arwen should still go off with frodo... and i'm too tired to comment any furthur otherwise all you'll get is must sleep...... bed.... to.... sleep
GAH! Work with me people! Work with me! Do you know how much time I spent into those scenarios? (about 3 minutes max)

*sigh* fine... I'll rewrite Frodo and Arwen's parts. Dammit! But now I have to have a new motivation for Aragorn. Ah, wait... Aragorn and Legolas... homosexual, cross racial affair... waddayasay?
Old 05-12-2003, 08:09 PM   #100
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Ah, wait... Aragorn and Legolas... homosexual, cross racial affair... waddayasay?
I don't think that'll go over very well with the fangirls.