Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-26-2002, 03:17 AM   #81
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Welcome, shirechild! You've come just in time for the battle to restore Sir Ian's prestige. Let us storm the barricades! Set fire to the citadel!

BTW, I ran into someone today who actually thought Moulin Rouge deserved the award for costumes. I nearly choked!
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 03:54 AM   #82
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanoliel

No, no, no. May ERU have mercy on their soul...as an elf, yu should know.
And I agree, shirechild, Ian DID deserve an Oscar...*sigh* and we also should've gotten Best Pic, but I won't get into that!
Welcome to the moot!
-tano
Mercy is for those who admit their mistake and repent. I am quite tempted, though, to offer my condescending pity instead; since hatred I reserve for those I have a little more respect for.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 03-26-2002 at 06:04 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 04:03 AM   #83
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Indeed, Arathorn is right. They are not deserving of our hatred Let's storm them anyway! No, j/k. I'll just sit here and think about how foolish they are. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:35 AM   #84
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Someone Edited My Posting Without Permission

Let me clear this up, RIGHT NOW:

I have NEVER [and I mean NEVER] watched the movie "Gods and Monsters". Therefore, I could never have given rave reviews of McKellen's performance in it.

Someone with Moderator or Admin clearances edited my post in the years since it was originally posted, completely and entirely without my permission. I know, for a fact, that it wasn't Ben.

I may have cleared some non-sequitur or ad hominem statements in my original post, but I NEVER EVER said that Sir Ian deserved an Oscar for this performance. I didn't SEE the [entire] performance, and even though he is a fine actor, I never typed the words in the above post that indicates he should have gotten an Oscar for "Gods and Monsters".

My Spidey-Sense is telling me to check some of my other postings to see if some miscreant has edited those, as well. Something is rotten in the Entmoot.

AND: If someone has edited my posts to give a totally different slant to what I originally said, the same thing could have happened to YOUR posts. This is bad cricket.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.

Last edited by bropous : 03-03-2007 at 01:24 PM.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:48 AM   #85
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I haven't read through this thread, only noted its title, but since the topic is Sir Ian McKellan, I'm just going to say this: I don't know what you guys are all on about, one way or the other, but Ian McKellan is a genius, pure and simple. He is a living legend, and is a natural-born artistic genius. Period.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:48 AM   #86
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Wow, bropous, that is REALLY creepy and DECIDEDLY bad cricket, as you said

Your post number 59 was apparently edited, too.

Really sick.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:54 AM   #87
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Oh, who cares.

Last edited by Lotesse : 01-15-2007 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:17 AM   #88
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

(btw, nice to see you back, bropous! Haven't seen you in ages! I always liked your avvy.)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-15-2007, 06:48 AM   #89
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bropous
Someone with Moderator or Admin clearances edited my post in the years sicne it was originally posted, completely and entirely without my permission. I know, for a fact, that it wasn't Ben.
I find that rather odd. But if it was editted by anyone, than that should clearly have been added on the lower part of the post. An edit will always show: Last edited by [member]: [date]at [hour]. So you could have seen who, if anybody, editted your post. I can't tell now anymore, since your own edit today erased the mention of the previous one. But what use could anyone possibly have to edit your review of a movie? Mods do not edit member's posts to change their meaning to their liking, only to remove rule-breaking material.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #90
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I find that rather odd. But if it was editted by anyone, than that should clearly have been added on the lower part of the post. An edit will always show: Last edited by [member]: [date]at [hour]. So you could have seen who, if anybody, editted your post. I can't tell now anymore, since your own edit today erased the mention of the previous one. But what use could anyone possibly have to edit your review of a movie? Mods do not edit member's posts to change their meaning to their liking, only to remove rule-breaking material.
No bella, that's not true!! Earniel, didn't you know?? Spock used to alter my posts from time to time, and since many of the posts of mine that he altered were done do with absolutely no good reason to do so and he knew it, and knowing this, he had a way of altering my post and there would be NO MENTION WHATSOEVER on my post anywhere that it had been "Last edited by: Anyone at Anytime." I am amazed you never knew this, but there IS a way to edit a regular member's post without any evidence showing that one has done so. Spock sure knew that trick, and he used to love to avail himself of it when it came to me. Why do you think I used to become so wildly, tearfully enraged by his actions concerning me? So, maybe Bropous has been dealt the same card; perhaps some of those old posts contained political subject matter that Spock may have had a personal problem with, or maybe Spock didn't like Bropous, or whatever, and blammo. The Mystery Of The Vanishing Posts begins.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #91
Earniel

No, sorry, to my knowledge an edit is still always visible, unless it is editted immediatly after the post was posted. But I'll check with the rest of the mod team to be sure. If you know of posts that were clearly editted without that edit-line, feel free to PM me with the location, and I will adjust my statement.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #92
Rían

I thought mods could edit without leaving edit tags. I think Lotesse is right; IIRC, I've seen edited posts without any type of edit tag, and I thought that was really wrong because the edited post didn't reflect what the user had actually written.

Why don't you do an experiment: here's my post, where I"ll type the following offensive line:

"Eärniel hates frogs!!!"

Now let the post sit for an hour or so, then edit it and see if it leaves a tag. If it does, then edit my previous post and try to look for ways to prevent a tag from being put in the post.

[Okay, attempting edit - Eärniel]

[The tag comes up. - Eärniel]

Last edited by Earniel : 01-15-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #93
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

The tag comes up because you are not deliberately attempting to erase or hide the tag, Earniel. He must have been very computer-savvy; I always got the impression that indeed, he was, really good with computers and programs, almost hacker-like one could say, and for someone with that kind of savvy would have no problems whatsoever in using a secret way to erase or hide their tags. Earniel, this happened to me so often and in so many different posts, but I am not going to go spending my afternoon digging them all up out of the past, that past here at the Moot which caused me to become so upset that I had to leave for such a long time, that Spockian Era. I am just going to re-iterate, that the thing is these evidence-free post alterations happened, and can be made to happen, if someone who is good with computer-programming and has the inside power already of Mod-ship wishes to do alterations like that and avoid identifying evidence to show. It can be done, and was done. Now, maybe not everyone else who mods and admins knows how to play with and hack around on the program which Entmoot is run by, but certainly Spock had that ability.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #94
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

There are ways to delete tags on edited posts, I've been capable of doing it on the other boards that I am a mod or admin for. But either way, its a pointless discussion, just re-edit the edited post and see if that wont clear it up.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #95
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Why bother posting at all if someone else is going to change your words to suit themselves....sheesh!
Old 01-16-2007, 12:45 PM   #96
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Sorry to interrupt discussion but I just remembered this really great incident from awhile ago.

It was sometime after FotR had come out, and my brother was answering the phone, and just as he was picking it up and saying "hello", I was telling my sis that I had found out that Ian McKellen was gay. My brother heard us, and just as he had finished saying "hello" he said "Ian McKellen!" really loud into the phone...we joked for ages about it,. We joked that he got a call from Ian McKellen. I don't really know who was on the phone, but it weren't Ian McKellen, I can tell you that, though I'm sure they were flattered.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #97
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
He must have been very computer-savvy; I always got the impression that indeed, he was, really good with computers and programs, almost hacker-like one could say, and for someone with that kind of savvy would have no problems whatsoever in using a secret way to erase or hide their tags.
That is a lot of assumptions, but precious little proof. After checking, I can say that on the Entmoot, neither mods or supermods can edit posts without leaving an edit-tag. Admins can, however (which I didn't know before, and on that I stand corrected).

But Spock, having been forum mod, is technically incapable of editing without the tags, just as I am incapable of giving myself certain admin-privileges. These things are configured according to user groups, and on this board quite beyond the control of mods or supermods. There is no secret back door for us to do this. So if it was done, then it wasn't by Spock, and that's the last I'm going to say about it.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:29 AM   #98
hectorberlioz

Why are you guys talking about Spock here of all places. Teacup people!

I once watched a portion of that dreadful movie The Shadow, and Ian McKellen was, I think, the bad guy. It was horrible.

I think someone (Crickhollow) mentioned the Jane Seymour version of 'The Scarlet Pimpernel'. I did watch that, and it was good stuff IMO.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 01-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #99
Rían

Hey, hector just edited my post!

Old 01-17-2007, 01:30 PM   #100
hectorberlioz

Shush! *muffles Rian's mouth*

Rian is a bit...vicious today, Ow ow! Stop biting my hand Rian!

The Da CINDY Code
~