Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-11-2003, 11:11 AM   #61
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
I don't believe event the movie Aragorn would go into a battle he knows he cannot win.
I understand what you're saying based on Helm's Deep, but the War of the Ring will be a different deal.

Gandalf's plan straight from the book is to send the armies of the West to the gates of Mordor knowing full well that they cannot win. My bet is that Jackson plays this to the hilt. The sense will be they are all going to their doom but by taking the fight to Mordor, they will give the Ringbearer the only chance he has to accomplish his mission.

Based on this rumor about Sauron, I can envision the following scenario:

1. The armies of the West bring their fight to the gates of Mordor.

2. The Mouth of Sauron (a GREAT choice of actor by the way, he's that creepy "wormtonguish-like" dude from The Road Warrior) will have his confrontation with Gandalf and company and show them Frodo's mithril coat.

3. War will break out between the two sides that will make the prologue of FOTR look like a picnic.

4. Just like in the prologue, Sauron, himself, will appear on the scene. The hordes will part and all from the West who stand before him will be mowed down effortlessly.

5. Suddenly Aragorn steps forward holding a shining sword. Sauron pauses for an instant, recognizing the sword and the lineage of this lone man now standing before him...before he attacks...as the final moments of the War of the Ring come to a dramatic and glorious end.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 11:12 AM   #62
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

yeah I will miss him

Edit: by him I meant richard harris, not sauron

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 11:14 AM   #63
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i can see it now....
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 11:15 AM   #64
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Old 05-11-2003, 11:18 AM   #65
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i bet PJ did it cheap. probably used the prologue of the movie and then threw aragorn instead of isildur and then threw gandalf somewhere along with a couple of hobbits and voila you have the war of the ring
I AM CANADIAN

Old 05-11-2003, 12:12 PM   #66
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
Gandalf's plan straight from the book is to send the armies of the West to the gates of Mordor knowing full well that they cannot win. My bet is that Jackson plays this to the hilt. The sense will be they are all going to their doom but by taking the fight to Mordor, they will give the Ringbearer the only chance he has to accomplish his mission.
But look. What the armies of the West were trying to accomplish is to make it look like they had the Ring and were over-confident, thus distracting Sauron from seeing the Ringbearer, yes? So from Sauron's point of view, an army with the Ring shows up to challenge him, guy with the Ring steps out and attacks him- but wait! Aragorn doesn't have the Ring! Send the Nazgul to Mt. Doom! ...and then the Ring is coincidentally destroyed and Sauron goes up in a puff of smoke.

Quote:
Based on this rumor about Sauron, I can envision the following scenario:

1. The armies of the West bring their fight to the gates of Mordor.

2. The Mouth of Sauron (a GREAT choice of actor by the way, he's that creepy "wormtonguish-like" dude from The Road Warrior) will have his confrontation with Gandalf and company and show them Frodo's mithril coat.

3. War will break out between the two sides that will make the prologue of FOTR look like a picnic.
Good so far.

Quote:
4. Just like in the prologue, Sauron, himself, will appear on the scene. The hordes will part and all from the West who stand before him will be mowed down effortlessly.
Just like in the prologue... except for one tiny miniscule differance- Sauron hasn't got the Ring! And Gandalf is here. A Maia. To the audience, a really cool old guy who killed that firey thing with horns and no wings ( ). We don't know what he can accomplish, we're thinking, "Why doesn't Gandalf do something?"

Quote:
5. Suddenly Aragorn steps forward holding a shining sword. Sauron pauses for an instant, recognizing the sword and the lineage of this lone man now standing before him...before he attacks...as the final moments of the War of the Ring come to a dramatic and glorious end.
Sauron pauses for an instant, recognizing the sword and the lineage of this lone man now standing before him...before he attacks...and for no reason at all...Sauron goes up in a puff of smoke...as the final moments of the War of the Ring come to a confusing end.

Also: If Arwen said: 'You will face the same evil and you will defeat it', then it doesn't come true. Aragorn doesn't defeat Sauron, Frodo does. (Or Gollum or Sam if you want to be annoying.) So basically Aragorn doesn't have to do anything, just wave his pretty reforged sword his Xenarwen hot elf babe brought him.

Again, what about the confusion factor? A quote from my original post:
Quote:
Now wait just a second. Don't you think it will confuse people? I thought the movie was saying this: (about Sauron's physical form.)

After the Ring was taken from him at the Last Alliance, he no longer had a 'body', but was a flaming eye.

If the attatchment below is not Sauron's form in the movie Third Age, then what is it? His logo? His sign, 'Sauron. All purpose Dark Lord for hire'?
(Go back to the original post for attachment, but here's another anyway.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tvad_eyeofsauron_tn.jpg (4.3 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Elf Girl : 05-11-2003 at 12:14 PM.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 02:17 PM   #67
azalea
Long lost mooter

I just have to say that the one thing I dislike about moderating is having to read the posts that contain spoilers. I don't like spoilers. (Don't forget we have the grey spoiler thingy you can use when you post, even if you just put it over certain key words.)
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 03:02 PM   #68
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

but don't you have to mod the spoiler text, too?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 03:11 PM   #69
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I just have to say that the one thing I dislike about moderating is having to read the posts that contain spoilers. I don't like spoilers. (Don't forget we have the grey spoiler thingy you can use when you post, even if you just put it over certain key words.)
I'll mod the spoilers for you, if you want.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 04:29 PM   #70
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Don't worry, azalea, this is all just speculation. If the stuff I posted turns out to be a spoiler, then it just means --- ta daaa --- BB is right yet again.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 04:32 PM   #71
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:

oh well youll see it sooner or later. but yea that must suck
I AM CANADIAN

Old 05-11-2003, 06:02 PM   #72
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

This spoiler is making me ill.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:16 PM   #73
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
It would be very logical for Sauron to fight Aragorn. He would be a stronger match physically than anyone else (although still not in Sauron's league) but more importantly, he is the heir of Isildur. I'm sure Sauron would like nothing better than to kick his butt. It would be the classic 'david versus goliath' scene and a very dramatic finale to the war of the ring.
Okay, before you said that this is done for dramatic purposes, and now we decide to do logic. Please be consistent. Also, I HIGHLY doubt he'd be a stronger match physically than anyone, but it does not matter, as Sauron is NOT a physical being, but a spiritual (or, as I believe Tolkien said, 'divine') one. The only reason he's made into a physical, armor-clad giant is to satisfy PJ's infatuation with the monstrous.

Quote:
That's the drama, Elf Girl. Aragorn and the audience know that Sauron will beat him to a plup. The suspense is whether or not Aragorn will survive until the ring is destroyed. Aragorn's act is a self-sacrificing one. He expects to die.
And now we're back to drama? Make up your mind!

Quote:
I understand what you're saying based on Helm's Deep, but the War of the Ring will be a different deal.
The War of the Ring was

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 06:38 PM   #74
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Soon the public has got to notice how much the movies contradict themselves, and therefore how much they suck.

With some luck PJ will suffer some accidental impalement with a sword during his next cameo.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:43 PM   #75
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

accidental , you say???

Old 05-11-2003, 06:44 PM   #76
Gwaimir Windgem

That's not nice... I would say "with some luck, PJ will quietly retire from the field with his money from these movies."

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-11-2003, 06:52 PM   #77
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Okay, I can live with that.

Ya know, all this stuff sorta makes you wonder, why didn't chris tolkien direct the movies or something? The guy's still alive, right?

Old 05-11-2003, 07:19 PM   #78
Gwaimir Windgem

Indeed he is. It would have been good if he had. I expect it has to do with not thinking Tolkien's book could be translated well to movie.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-11-2003, 07:19 PM   #79
Gwaimir Windgem

EDIT: Double-post. For more information, please refer to my title.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 05-11-2003 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:22 PM   #80
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Well, it would've been better translated if he had done it