Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-20-2004, 02:12 PM   #61
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
i think this may be becoming less and less true since the yankees spend so much more than most other teams (which the red sox do too, to a smaller extent)... when you start to approach spending five times what other teams spend (or even twice as much) you don't even have to spend all that money wisely
yeah Im waiting for the day when steinbrenner realizes hey... why dont I just hire EVERY baseball player in the majors! Bingo: guaranteed championship every year.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 04:34 PM   #62
gdl96
the greg the admin

The Mets spend a lot of money too, but look at them.

I think its safe to say the Yankees now have one of the best batting lineups in the league. If the Yankee's could have gotten a few more hits during the World Series last year, things might have been different.

But pitching is still vital, and its the biggest uncertainty for the Yankees this season. Their rotation should be pretty good, but their bullpen worries me.

Btw, I'm going to the first Yankees vs Red Sox game at Yankees Stadium this season.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 04:56 PM   #63
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
Btw, I'm going to the first Yankees vs Red Sox game at Yankees Stadium this season.
very nice... i went to a sox/yankees game at fenway two years back... always a blast
Old 02-21-2004, 08:45 AM   #64
Janny
The Blobbit

Baseball, eh? Isn't that rounders for those who are too scared of English female PE teachers? And how come you Americans with the World Series every bloody year?
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:15 AM   #65
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
What is particularly base about this ball. Is this league a place of particularly low morals?
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:57 AM   #66
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

originally posted by Janny
Baseball, eh? Isn't that rounders for those who are too scared of English female PE teachers? And how come you Americans win the World Series every bloody year?
Democrat for Kerry-Edwards!

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 02:15 PM   #67
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
Is rounders cricket?
Way to offend the Aussies and New Zealanders! We in England of course don't play cricket in its recognised form (i.e. we play it very poorly).
Rounders is the sport which baseball developed from; the ball must go forward of the batsman, but not only between first and third and fourth base isn't also where you start out. Cricket is completely different. The ball goes in all directions around the ground. I wouldn't say baseball is rationalised cricket... just because cricketers wear funny clothes. Anyway, it's a sport based around set-pieces, just like rounders or baseball. And Gridiron Football in fact.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:56 AM   #68
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
"Baseball has the great advantage over cricket of being sooner ended."
-- George Bernard Shaw

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 04:55 PM   #69
Janny
The Blobbit

Oh that too. Slipped my mind. Standard duration of baseball game < 24 hrs.

Plus why is 'socks' spelt 'sox'?
Old 02-22-2004, 05:24 PM   #70
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Janny
Plus I heard two guys on the ESPN radio sports talk station seriously debating whether the team should be referred to as the Red "Sok" or the Red "Soks." They seemed to finally conclude it should be Red "Sok." Aaaaagh!

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Old 02-23-2004, 05:49 AM   #71
Janny
The Blobbit

I'm from England. I'm clueless. Does Sox actually refer to footwear?
Old 02-23-2004, 10:26 AM   #72
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
There are three teams in Major League Baseball here in the States that have names derived from the footwear they wore with their uniforms at the turn of the last century:

The Boston Red Stockings (now referred to as "Sox" or an abreviation of "Socks")

The Chigaco White Stockings (see above notation)

And the Cincinati Red Legs (now referred to in abreviated fashion as the "Cincinati Reds").

There are, of course, a host of animal names (Tigers, Cubs, Marlins) strange anomalies (Yankess, Mets -- short for Metropolitans, Dodgers) and controversial mascots (Braves, Indians).

If you have any other questions, I'll get in touch with my brother, the walking, talking baseball stats book.

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 11:59 AM   #73
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

I wonder if in the U. K. they've heard of the Curse of the Bambino?" Here's one description:
http://www.bambinoscurse.com/whatis/

Of course, since the Philadelphia Phillies have won just one World Series in well over a century, and, I believe, have lost more games then any other major league team, it's hard to be too sympathetic for New England baseball fans.

Although the Philadelphia Athletics won some W.S. with the legendary Connie Mack before leaving for Kansas City and then Oakland.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 02-23-2004 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:35 PM   #74
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

To The Black Gates of Rigly!!!

Well this is amusing and topical if nothing else regarding the infomous Steve Bartman muffed ball:

Quote:
Grant DePorter, who helped buy the ball at a December auction for $113,824 on behalf of Harry Caray's Restaurant Group, has lined up three hours of music, comedy and celebrity appearances leading up to the climactic event -- everything short of Steve Bartman, the hapless fan who deflected the ball during Game 6 of the NL championship series.

The ball will be sent into oblivion by Michael Lantieri, an Oscar winner who wrecks things for a living and has worked on such movies as Jurassic Park and Back to the Future. Lantieri, a Cubs die-hard himself, would not reveal his exact demolition plans but admitted he has been blowing up a dozen balls a day in his California lab in preparation.

"That ball's gotta go," said DePorter, managing partner of the restaurant group, which organized the event as part of its annual tribute to Caray, the beloved Cubs broadcaster who died six years ago Thursday. "It's like the ring from The Lord of the Rings and we're kind of like Frodo, trying to get it over with."

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 06:04 PM   #75
Janny
The Blobbit

No I hadn't heard of the curse, but it's interesting... we don't get that kinda curse in the UK... shame really.
The only baseball thing that was on the news in the UK in the last age is that guy in the crowd that caught the ball that was a famous home run total hit by that guy (names are hazey ) and then sold and someone claimed it wasn't real... then I lost track because only me caring wasn't enough people to put it on the news.

BTW I've only heard of Babe Ruth through Seinfeld (something else we could only indulge in at 5 past midnight on week-days, before it was cancelled cuz no-one watched it... WELL DONE BBC ). Anyway, George worn Babe Ruth's uniform and spilt food down it in a bid to get fired... ahh Georgy boy!

[Believe it or not George isn't at home, please leave your message at the beep! I jst be out or I'd pick up the phone, where could I be?]

Last edited by Janny : 02-26-2004 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:58 AM   #76
Beruthiel's cat

Re: To The Black Gates of Rigly!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Well this is amusing and topical if nothing else regarding the infomous Steve Bartman muffed ball:
"That ball's gotta go," said DePorter, managing partner of the restaurant group, which organized the event as part of its annual tribute to Caray, the beloved Cubs broadcaster who died six years ago Thursday. "It's like the ring from The Lord of the Rings and we're kind of like Frodo, trying to get it over with."

---------------------------------------------------------

I always thought that being a baseball fan would keep me somewhat distanced from being a complete geek. Now I discover that baseball fans are Tolkien geeks. too.! Who'd-a-thunk-it??

Oh well, I'm proud to be a Tolkien/baseball geek!

~~~~~~~~~

"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-27-2004, 01:36 PM   #77
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
Plus I heard two guys on the ESPN radio sports talk station seriously debating whether the team should be referred to as the Red "Sok" or the Red "Soks." They seemed to finally conclude it should be Red "Sok." Aaaaagh!
Quote:
The names of sports teams, on the other hand, are treated as plurals, regardless of the form of that name. We would write that "The Yankees have signed a new third baseman" and "The Yankees are a great organization" (even if we're Red Sox fans) and that "For two years in a row, the Utah Jazz have attempted to draft a big man." When we refer to a team by the city in which it resides, however, we use the singular, as in "Dallas has attempted to secure the services of two assistant coaches that Green Bay hopes to keep." (This is decidedly not a British practice. In England, the city names by which British newspapers refer to soccer teams, for example, are used as plurals — a practice that seems odd and inconsistent to American ears: "A minute's silence will precede the game at Le Stadium today, when Toulouse play Munster, and tomorrow at Lansdowne Road, when Leinster attempt to reach their first European final by beating Perpignan" [report in the online London Times].)
http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/plurals.htm

Though linguist Steven Pinker points out that the plural of "a Toronto Maple Leaf" is "the Toronto Maple Leafs" (not "Maple Leaves")

But, "a Minnesota Timberwolves player", not "a Minnesota Timberwolf"

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 01:40 PM   #78
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Re: Re: To The Black Gates of Rigly!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Beruthiel's cat
Silly Cubs fans!! Oh... that's ME!!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 02:59 PM   #79
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
The only baseball thing that was on the news in the UK in the last age is that guy in the crowd that caught the ball that was a famous home run total hit by that guy (names are hazey ) and then sold and someone claimed it wasn't real...
Then you guys missed out on my favorite baseball moment: Spring training a few years back when a clueless pigeon happened to fly right in the path of a Randy Johnson 106-mile-an-hour fast ball...POOF!
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 03:49 PM   #80
Beruthiel's cat

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
Then you guys missed out on my favorite baseball moment: Spring training a few years back when a clueless pigeon happened to fly right in the path of a Randy Johnson 106-mile-an-hour fast ball...POOF!
And don't forget Reggie Jackson and the seagull. That one goes waaaaay back!

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~