Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-11-2004, 09:07 PM   #61
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
Arwen*raspy voice*: you saw my child! ....
That scene really bugs me, because it totally eliminates the great love between Arwen and Aragorn. It's like she's "well, I guess I'll obey poppy and ditch Aragorn and sail to Valinor ... *sees vision of kid* - HEY! I had a kid with him! Oh well, guess I'll stick around - I love kids!, and I need some guy to have a kid, so it might as well be that unshaven twit Aragorn ... I guess I'll have to stick around."

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:59 PM   #62
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by R*an
That scene really bugs me, because it totally eliminates the great love between Arwen and Aragorn. It's like she's "well, I guess I'll obey poppy and ditch Aragorn and sail to Valinor ... *sees vision of kid* - HEY! I had a kid with him! Oh well, guess I'll stick around - I love kids!, and I need some guy to have a kid, so it might as well be that unshaven twit Aragorn ... I guess I'll have to stick around."
LOL!
yeah and i think it kinda degrades the realtionship between arwen and elrond- as if elrond was lying to her

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:00 AM   #63
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Theoden to Eowyn at Dunharrow:

" I would have you smile again"

"Uh, let's see, by this point we've established that there is no possibility of the Rohirrim relieving Gondor, Sauron's going to win, the whole world is going to be covered in Darkness and we're all gonna get slaughterd by Orcs so what exactly AM I SUPPOSED TO BE SMILING ABOUT?!?"

(Theoden then adds that Eowyn will live to see these days renewed, thus destroying the whole mood which is supposed to be courage even in the absence of hope- good one, PJ.)

Especially considering Eowyn's bitter lines in the book, spoken to Aragorn:

"All your words are but to say, you are a woman and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more."

Considering all the stick Tolkien has taken over the years for supposedly being anti-female and that PJ had to build up Arwen so much to counter it, to leave out this line is terrible.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:49 PM   #64
Aewionen
Elf Lord

"What do trees have to talk about except the consistancy of squirrel droppings."

Why can't they have Gimli say something intelligent for once??!?

Legolas: (shoots already dead orc) "It was twitching!"

Gimli won! Get over it....the guy can't stand loosing to a dwarf.
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade

"I feel a slight tingling feeling... I think its affecting me." -Legolas during a drinking contest (EE ROTK)
Aewionen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 01:18 PM   #65
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

OK, in general, I like the movies - or at least accept them for what they are (movies!) and appreciate the fact that we at least have SOMETHING in that form - and that many people who were unfamiliar are getting interested in Tolkien (just started another friend on the books: he's read 'The Hobbit' and told me this morning he's on 'Council of Elrond' in FotR).

Anyway, I can't give the exact words, but when Elrond comes to Aragorn at Dunharrow, gives him the sword and advises him to "give up his rangerin' ways and be who he was supposed to be..." This whole thing has been discussed before I think - Aragorn in the book being a 'ranger' with purpose - doing the 'dirty work' to prepare himself for his ultimate goal of defeating Sauron, ruling both Gondor and Arnor, and wedding the girl of his dreams - to Aragorn in the movies - in doubt, seeking to avoid his destiny and heritage,etc.

Anyway... when Elrond says what he does there, I just can't keep from hearing in my head the song 'Desperado'

Desperado...
Why don't you come to your senses,
You been out ridin' fences...
For so long...

Last edited by Valandil : 02-24-2004 at 06:04 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:19 PM   #66
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

amongst all the hobbit claiming, she-elves and men who are not men, one of my most detested lines is in fotr:

Elrond: "Gandalf - the ring cannot stay here!"

it really annoys me that Elrond would say something like that - I just don't think he would talk like that to one of the Ainur and a fellow ring bearer as though he were a dumb sh**! maybe that's nitpicking but it really annoys me, although I like to quote it with a really bad Indian accent because it makes my sister laugh... but we're both absolutely insane.

gah!
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 04:06 PM   #67
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Good point, but of course in film LotR Gandalf is made much more crappy - stuid (just watched FotR again, and he really comes across as a bit ignorant - how about when he first meets up with Saruman for help) and a bully (take that you naughty Denethor - And that, and that!).

Not to mention he's never revealed to be bearing the ring of fire, even though of course he makes a reference to it on the Bridge of Khazad-dum :/
Old 02-23-2004, 09:03 PM   #68
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul worst lines

in response to Cirdan
Gandalf actually says:
"I withdraw you Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound!"
NOT "I shall draw you Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound."
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:13 PM   #69
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Must admit I always thought the first part was:

'I will draw you'

The rest I hear as something like

'Saruman, unlike the rubbish left in this script'
Old 02-23-2004, 09:17 PM   #70
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Yes gerbil, although most of the script is utter nonsense, this was for those that saw the films, and yet [for some strange reason] not read the books
however, i believe that it is the general feel of the film that some people saw it for, and PJ passed his test with that one
Old 02-24-2004, 05:04 AM   #71
Mrs Maggot
Enting

Quote:
Must admit I always thought the first part was:

'I will draw you'
That's funny, I was sure it was that as well. it sounds slightly better…
Old 02-24-2004, 07:55 AM   #72
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
Yes gerbil, although most of the script is utter nonsense, this was for those that saw the films, and yet [for some strange reason] not read the books
however, i believe that it is the general feel of the film that some people saw it for, and PJ passed his test with that one
Yeah I get your point, but 'general feeling' vs actual script is kind of lame - most people will have got the 'feel' from the stunning scenery, costumes, make-up and design etc, which I personally feel they did get pretty damn close to perfect.
The script though has very little to do with it, and parts of it are so cringe-enducing (even to filmy onlys, like my gf although she's finally seeing the light and reading the books!) that it has to make you wonder...
Old 02-24-2004, 10:13 AM   #73
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Gerbil
The script though has very little to do with it, and parts of it are so cringe-enducing (even to filmy onlys, like my gf although she's finally seeing the light and reading the books!) that it has to make you wonder...
To interject a bit, that's what periodically exasperated me with the movies, they would replace for no apparent reason book lines with script changes, the classic being Arwen's "If you want him, come and claim him" replacing Frodo's "By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me.", which not only sounds better, but gives the feeling of depth that JRRT's so good at, plus Frodo doesn't look like a total doofus.

P.S. Haven't been in London in a while. How's the Milennial (Milennium?) Bridge holding out?
Hope no one's singing:
"Milennial Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down,
Milennial Bridge is falling down, my fair lady."

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 02-24-2004 at 10:27 AM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:02 PM   #74
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil
Yeah I get your point, but 'general feeling' vs actual script is kind of lame - most people will have got the 'feel' from the stunning scenery, costumes, make-up and design etc, which I personally feel they did get pretty damn close to perfect.
i was not argueing that the general feeling beat the script, merely that the films were good enough as stand alones, where some films do not follow the book that they were based on.
however, i respect your points entirely, and apologise to you as i obviously had not phrased my posting correctly
Old 02-24-2004, 06:09 PM   #75
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Maybe we should have a new thread - 'best non-tolkien line'.
Not that I'd expect it to get a lot of posts

As for Millenium Bridge, dunno - I think you are actually allowed to walk on it now, which is an improvement!
Old 02-24-2004, 07:29 PM   #76
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
Thanks for clearing that up LCoU (can I call you that? ). In its now correct form, I think it still ranks among the lousiest lines, at least partly due to the scene of Saruman getting "excorcised".
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:06 PM   #77
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Thanks for clearing that up LCoU (can I call you that? ). In its now correct form, I think it still ranks among the lousiest lines, at least partly due to the scene of Saruman getting "excorcised".
i think the main reason it ranks as one of the worst scenes was that the film shows Saruman as possessing Theoden in some way, whereas the book quite clearly states that it was a speel, due to Grima of the Wormtongue.
(yes you can call me LCoU, but i'll settle for Chrys!!)
Old 02-24-2004, 09:10 PM   #78
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

I meant spell, not speel!!

Old 02-24-2004, 10:18 PM   #79
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Chrys is a better nickname. BTW, you can edit posts by clicking the bottom right button in the post.

All the worst lines are associated with either fabricated plot devices (ie. Theoden's "possession") or completely made up scripts (ie. many of Elrond and Arwen's ridiculous lines).

As far as I know, the only other movies that Jackson directed were B-rate horror flicks (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If this is true, small wonder the fabricated sections were terrible. The parts of the movie where he stuck to the book were great though.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:46 PM   #80
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Peter Jackson *did* write and direct Heavely Creatures, a film about two girls who commit a horrible crime. I haven't seen it, but it's meant to be very good. Still, he could have done a lot better in the LOTR.