Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-21-2002, 07:30 PM   #61
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

You really ought to give "Gods and Monsters" a viewing, Nolendil. It is a very good film, and Sir Ian certainly deserved his Academy Award nomination with that performance. I "like" his character more in "Fellowship of the Ring", but "Gods and Monsters is definitely a performance worth seeing. Very different from Gandalf. But then again, so was Magneto.

[BTW, swept the place up, edited the non-sequitur comments previous and you're right, ain't the place for it. Sorry, all.]

[/I]EDIT NOTE 01/14/07: This is a TOTAL lie. I NEVER EVER said that ANYONE should EVER watch "Gods and Monsters". Someone with mod or admin privileges changed my original posting in the years since my original words were posted. I suspect real hanky-panky here, and I strongly suggest that others verify that their original posts have not been altered by someone with a counter-agenda to your own thoughts.[/I]
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.

Last edited by bropous : 01-15-2007 at 12:40 AM.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 08:11 PM   #62
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous

[BTW, swept the place up, edited the non-sequitur comments previous and you're right, ain't the place for it. Sorry, all.]
Swept? Did you use a street sweeper/ elephant vaccuum thingy?

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 08:22 PM   #63
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"Swept? Did you use a street sweeper/ elephant vaccuum thingy?"

Uh, yeah.

"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:31 PM   #64
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Ian will (supposedly) quote Shakespeare in nearly every conversation! I think that's really cool, 'cause I'm a big Shakespeare fan. I've also only seen him in X-men and Fellowship, but I really want to see Gods and Monsters.

(Also, I would like to apologize for that, er, flame war)

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 10:03 PM   #65
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, I really don't enjoy Shakespeare/Bacon very much, be it comedy, tragedy or history, but I'd sit through one of Shakespeare's/Bacon's plays even if Sir Ian played only a tiny part.

(I apologize too, Eruviel, but heck, that wasn't a flame war, more of a spark skirmish. Guess my soapbox tendencies get the better of me on snowy days......and dang was it snowing here today! I guess it shows I've been hanging out in #politics again.......)
Old 03-22-2002, 02:01 AM   #66
Eruviel Greenleaf

Snow? Bropous, you have real snow? It keeps snowing here, but it rarely sticks.

You don't like Shakespeare?! How horrendous! j/k. Each to his own, I guess. I would love to see Sir Ian in a Shakespeare play. That would such a great opportunity!

I just realized I could review Gods and Monsters for school, since I need to review a movie for film class. That would give me a chance to see it!

("spark skirmish" )

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-22-2002, 04:39 AM   #67
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

For those of you who missed the Sixty Minutes II interview and would like to see the transcript:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in503531.shtml

There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 04:50 AM   #68
Eruviel Greenleaf

Thank you, Cirdan! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I never get around to seeing these things, it's great to be able to read them.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-22-2002, 11:06 AM   #69
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Thanks for the link, Cirdan! I don't have access to a TV on campus. *laughs* The transcript people spelled Khazadum wrong.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 11:31 AM   #70
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Thanks for the link, Cirdan.
Quote:
Cazadoom
Well I guess not everyone has read LotR. Although I like the use of the hard sounding "C" in the attempt.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 10:33 PM   #71
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Wheee! Oh, huzzah, thankee a thousand times, Cirdan, I never get to see these things either. I can't even see the oscars. *sigh* I NEVER watch them...it's just that LOTR is up, and, well, ya know.... So I'm taping them. Yay.
btw...what's with the pink thang?
-tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 09:51 AM   #72
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Hmm wec ould start a whole thread out of that one. Meyenass Tireith. Lune. Brandooin. Anewmeyenass. Think of the possibilities.
Old 03-23-2002, 01:47 PM   #73
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanoliel
Wheee! Oh, huzzah, thankee a thousand times, Cirdan, I never get to see these things either. I can't even see the oscars. *sigh* I NEVER watch them...it's just that LOTR is up, and, well, ya know.... So I'm taping them. Yay.
btw...what's with the pink thang?
-tano
i dunno, but my breakfast is singing, "I'm comin' up, so you'd better get....

BTW, you welcome. I missed it, too. It's on during reading time.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 03-23-2002, 01:52 PM   #74
Cirdan

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
Thanks for the link, Cirdan! I don't have access to a TV on campus. *laughs* The transcript people spelled Khazadum wrong.
Yah, I noticed it , too. Don't these people keep all Tolkien material near by in case there is a need to check sources or references? They wouldn't last a day on the 'Moot!

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 03-23-2002, 06:05 PM   #75
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Well, maybe that is expecting too much, but really now! It's not that obscure of a word in the world of FotR movie paraphanelia. All they needed to do was look on the back of the soundtrack...
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 07:29 PM   #76
Cirdan

Yah, they could have at least run the spell checker. But what can one expect from someone who hasn't read the greatest piece of fantasy literature of the 20th century and poses as a writer! May God have mercy on their soul.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 03-25-2002, 04:23 PM   #77
shirechild
Hobbit

Sam Gamgee grammy

Ian deserved an oscar last night it just wasn't right. Though we did get all technical awards and tech is the most important part of a movie

My theroy is: inocent until proven guilty... many times.

Life sucks then you die...GoddTimes, Good Times

FRODO LIVES
shirechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 05:05 PM   #78
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
Yah, they could have at least run the spell checker. But what can one expect from someone who hasn't read the greatest piece of fantasy literature of the 20th century and poses as a writer! May God have mercy on their soul.
No, no, no. May ERU have mercy on their soul...as an elf, yu should know.
And I agree, shirechild, Ian DID deserve an Oscar...*sigh* and we also should've gotten Best Pic, but I won't get into that!
Welcome to the moot!
-tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 07:41 PM   #79
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanoliel

No, no, no. May ERU have mercy on their soul...as an elf, yu should know.
And I agree, shirechild, Ian DID deserve an Oscar...*sigh* and we also should've gotten Best Pic, but I won't get into that!
Welcome to the moot!
-tano
quite right... sorry. No mercy from Eru for the academy of cheating Ian, though.

Welcome, also, to the 'Moot, shirechild!

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 03-26-2002, 02:31 AM   #80
Eruviel Greenleaf

Welcome, Shirechild!

Ian should have won. I'll say no more on the matter.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!